Bed, Ute, Rhino Liner

AustHaflinger

Bed, Ute, Rhino Liner

Post by AustHaflinger »

As my car is kept outside under the back balcony, the tray is starting to suffer some surface rust and the floor inside the cabin is suffering a bit of wear and tear. Both need a bit of a touch up.

Here, in the land of the ute, rather than installing a plastic bed tray to protect the rear of the vehicle, owners often paint them with a special product made specifically for the job. Is basically a thick hard wearing coating that dries extremely hard and can be painted over. Here it is often called Rhino Liner - a brand name - or bed/ute liner.

Has anyone used this - particularly on a haflinger and how did you find it goes.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Bed, Ute, Rhino Liner

Post by heinkeljb »

Any paint / covering has got to be better than none! Clean any loose rust / paint and use the Rino Liner as per its instrucions and wat ever the surface becomes, it has to better than a rusting flaking paint surface!

Haven't used anything other than an anti-rust and then either primer or to coat of paint on Lurch so far and Lurch is outside in all weathers. Will have to do some bodywork / cutting out rust / painting this summer as I have done nothing in the last 3 years of this sort!

Maybe you will get replies for someone who has actually used it.....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
gren_t

Post by gren_t »

I have used Line-X and Raptor bedliners on my landrover - the line -X has been in the load bed 14years and is excellent, it's had building rubble, scrap steel & engines etc without damaging the surface.
The problem with line-X was it was not possible to tint it, and it had to be sprayed on professionally, I've had variable success with Raptor when its on a clean prepared surface using their primer its been good - not as good as Line-X though.

The big advantage with Raptor is it can be colour matched to the vehicle, and can be sprayed at home with an underbody gun or cheap spray gun with opened up ports to get a finer texture, have a look on YouTube for how to's

I will be Raptor coating the wheel arches and the underside of the engine lid and possibly the toolboxes when I'm ready to paint Hemi.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for that information - looks like it will keep the rust at bay as long as it is cleaned up first - did you paint it straight onto the metal or over undercoat/paint that was already there?

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
gren_t

Post by gren_t »

The line-x had the paint on the load bed scuffed up first, there were a few bolt holes they put tape over (6-10mm) and it was then sprayed directly onto the bed.

I Used Raptor to spray the Ali top of a draw unit I put into the load bed, I scuffed and cleaned the Ali with isopropanol - no reason other than I had a few litres knocking about, I then sprayed it with an old shutz(underbody) gun, in fairness its lasted well but has chipped on the sharp edge, I put this down to me rather than the product and I only did a thin coat as I didn't want a heavy texture.

The texture is also one thing that I didn't think about, as the bedliner has an orange peel texture depending on how its sprayed it can hold dirt & mud etc meaning a standard hose down don't get it clean it needs to be scrubbed with a hard brush and soap.

I will use Raptor when I do the Haf but I'll be spraying over fresh paint with the tinted Raptor so I will use the raptor acid etch primer also.

I'll get some photos added for comparison later today
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks - your input is much appreciated.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
gren_t

Post by gren_t »

Raptor on Ali put on as a thin coat.
IMG_8193.jpeg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

That looks OK - I think I have something like that on the inside of my engine cover lid.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)