Any ideas for paintwork conservation?

Rick K

Any ideas for paintwork conservation?

Post by Rick K »

Hello

Hoping please someone may have some ideas as to how to conserve the paintwork of a very original 1973/74 Haflinger 700APT that has sufferred a bit of surface corrosion. See photos below. Thankfully this 4-door Haflinger has been garaged all its life, and so there is no serious rust- only surface corrosion which has developed where the paintwork has been scratched or damaged. My initial thoughts are just to polish with a cutting compound, and keep treating her with carnuba wax to help seal the exposed metal from air and moisture. I also plan to flood internal spaces (such as side rails, tubeing etc) with liquid lanolin to help prevent internal corrosion. I dont want to restore this old girl, just conserve her as best I can.

These photos were taken when she first arrived after purchase in April 2011. Ive since washed her and tidyed her up, including fitting new seat stapping all-round (the blue bale string was a good improvisation- giving away her rural origins). Sadly she is missing her original hood, so I am searching for a good but faded ex-truck tarp to create a matching hood. The canvas doors were originally olive green, the original shade still evident in the folds not exposed to light.

cheers

Rick
Attachments
1974 ex-Wadonga 700APT from front straight from the farm
1974 ex-Wadonga 700APT from front straight from the farm
IMG_1296.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
1974 ex-Wadonga 700APT from front
1974 ex-Wadonga 700APT from front
IMG_1298.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Re: Any ideas for paintwork conservation?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Rick - where do you find all these vehicles :)

I find touch up paint or respraying small sections. I would be cleaning out the surface rust in the scratches and then touching it up with paint to the point that it overfills the scratch and then carefully sand down with about 1000 wet and dry - then sand with 1200 and 1500 to match the new paint with the old and then polish - while this needs to be a slightly aggressive cut polish will soon wear out the paint.

I will have to do something similar to mine once I get it on the road.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Same advice as Garry. other then I use a small syringe to apply the paint, then after curring about 30 to 45 min I take a new rasor blade and slide it accross the paint to cut the high spots off.
After I have successfully filled them in, and let the paint cure over night, I move on to the 1000 grit
garrycol wrote:Hi Rick - where do you find all these vehicles :)

I find touch up paint or respraying small sections. I would be cleaning out the surface rust in the scratches and then touching it up with paint to the point that it overfills the scratch and then carefully sand down with about 1000 wet and dry - then sand with 1200 and 1500 to match the new paint with the old and then polish - while this needs to be a slightly aggressive cut polish will soon wear out the paint.

I will have to do something similar to mine once I get it on the road.

Cheers

Garry
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

It is a labor intensive proccess but I have been successfull at taking rock chips out of 100k+ cars with zero signs left of the offending mark.
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Westernair wrote:It is a labor intensive proccess but I have been successfull at taking rock chips out of 100k+ cars with zero signs left of the offending mark.
Great! Thanks for that. It will be quite a painstaking task, but there is no easy way around it. Otherwise the paintwork will continue to deteriorate. The filling approach makes a lot of sense. The paint will 'shrink' as it dries, so I guess you wait until its done that before you shave off the high spots.

cheers

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The other thing Rick - do not polish etc until you do the repairs as it will make it harder to remove when you do the touchup. As you would appreciate the high level of UV in the Aussie sun is bad news on paint so once you have made the repairs you want I would give the car a good wax with a high quality product - this will moisturise the paint that is there, maybe stop it cracking and help protect it from the sun. I cannot park my Haffie under cover so I have a $40 Aldi car cover - is a bit big but is completely water proof and has soft lining.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You can always treat the rust with a rust converting solution, and then spray with clear top coat if you want to conserve the authentic use marks.

The top coat could then be polished if needed with out fear of changing anything.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

gentlemen

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and ideas. I'll let you know how I get on. Some time over the coming year I will overhaul the engine on this one. I'm told it's never had any major work done on the engine and still has its original pistons and rings. A few other projects to complete first. Thanks again.

Rick
SAM

Post by SAM »

Hi Rick

I am in a similar situation with my vehicle and I have been wondering the best way to go. I have seen vehicles at shows in the past and as long as they are not too bad in their original working clothes they are much more interesting. I used to be very interested in stationary engines and I remember this debate about whether to restore or not going on quite a while ago. The real old school blokes liked to completely restore but there was a growing trend not do do that any more. I am a French Polisher and have restored antiques since the mid 80s and it would be sacrilege to take the patina out of an old piece of furniture so why would you do it with machinery? Obviously if the vehicle is too far gone then the decision is made for you but in this case it looks great as it is.

In your case Rick I am not sure if I would even go as far as to touch up the paint. Rust converter (quickly wiped off as it will streak the existing paint) and then a clear lacquer brushed over to seal the chipped areas. Loads of Lanolin sounds like a good idea too.

Nice truck.

Sam