Beige Haffie Paint Code

AustHaflinger

Beige Haffie Paint Code

Post by AustHaflinger »

Having nearly completed some rust repairs on my Haffie I am going to have to do some paint touch ups. I have asked at my local paint shops for listings on Haffie paint and they have no listings at all.

They can paint match a sample but I have found that a bit hit and miss in the past.

So does anyone have a paint code for the Haffie beige paint. Also was the original paint acrylic or enamal.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Re: Beige Haffie Paint Code

Post by Rick K »

Hi Garry

From memory someone quoted the RAL number a while ago on the Yahoo haflinger site. You might have to trawl back a bit to get that one. I believe the original paint was an enamel. I went down the paint matching path- and regretted it (or I should have found someone more competant at it).

Good luck

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Rick,

I went back through the messages on the Yahoo site and the general consensus was RAL 7032 but the description was light grey/beige which didn't seem right. I went back to 2006 where the posts indicated that the Haffie colours are the same as the Unimog colours and there was a link http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/uni ... codes.html to a colour chart - by that chart RAL 7032 is definitely grey and not beige.

I think I will need to get the colour colour matched and when using it make sure I paint whole panels at a time.

If anyone else has a paint code for the Aussie beige other than RAL 7032 please let me know.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Garry

I recall Dale Harrison from Haflinger Technik saying that the RAL codes are not a perfect match for the Haflinger colours. I was trying to find a light green for a 1963 Haflinger, and the RAL 'Reseda Green' was close but not close enough. His suggestion at the time was to colour match to a part not exposed to light (i used a part fron under the dash). It sounds as though this may be true for the beige as well. You see a lot of no quite right Beige Haflingers following re-spray. David Ogden (posts elsewhere on this site) seems to have got it spot on, based on the photos he posted recently. There is also a fellow in Melbourne, David from Black Mamba Racing (who can supply high compression pistons, call of the wild DVDs and maybe exhausts for Haflingers) who also seems to have the beige colour correct- maybe worth contacting him too.

Good luck

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:(who can supply call of the wild DVDs )

Rick
What the ones copied off a doco on Channel 7 and then flogged off for $20 a pop plus postage - not bad money if you can get it.

Thanks Rick - I think I will just colour match what I have and just paint complete panels as needed - they are all small so not such an issue.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I took off the passenger (RHD) engine bay side cover and took it along with me to the paint shop. The inside of the cover is a little "richer" in terms of colour to the outside.

When I arrived at the paint shop much to my surprise they had RAL 7032 in their system and they even had a paint swatch of the colour which when compared to the outside of the cover looked spot on. They said the colour was called Pebble Grey but it is definitely not a grey.

When the paint was mixed it also looked spot on but I only purchased one litre initially (the cost per litre is the same no matter how much you purchase) of acrylic. While the original paint is enamel I suspect what is on there now is acrylic and should not have compatibility issues with whatever is there.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Garry,
I spoke to Tony Hrelja from Melbourne before I had my paint work done .He worked on the production line at Haflinger sales and service in Melbourne.( there is a photo of the production line on Constantins, Haflinger TDC site / countries/Australia ) he is the person stood on the left, he advised me that they never knew what the correct paint code was and they had paint matched to the body panels if any was needed.He also said the RAL 7032 was a very near match.

Dave
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

garrycol wrote:
Rick K wrote:(who can supply call of the wild DVDs )

Rick
What the ones copied off a doco on Channel 7 and then flogged off for $20 a pop plus postage - not bad money if you can get it.

Thanks Rick - I think I will just colour match what I have and just paint complete panels as needed - they are all small so not such an issue.

Cheers

Garry
I don't begrudge the fellow for the $20 for the DVD. At least I've now been able to obtain it and see it, however grainy. He did say he got them professionally copied, and is covering his costs. It would be great to get hold of the original 16mm film- but others I've spoken to that have tried to contact the doco makers drew a blank.

Glad the RAL code is right.

Cheers

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote:Hi Garry,
he advised me that they never knew what the correct paint code was and they had paint matched to the body panels if any was needed.He also said the RAL 7032 was a very near match.

Dave
I still do not know whether my Haffie was made in Aust or not - I need to get the data sheet from overseas. The colour on the inside of the engine panel I had was slightly darker than the outside which may have faded a bit. On reflection I believe the inside colour is the true colour but as every one appears to know RAL 7032, it seems to have taken over on rebuilds - based on the paint under the seats, my Haffie has been fully painted twice so I guess on the second paint they used RAL 7032.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:I don't begrudge the fellow for the $20 for the DVD. At least I've now been able to obtain it and see it, however grainy. He did say he got them professionally copied, and is covering his costs. It would be great to get hold of the original 16mm film- but others I've spoken to that have tried to contact the doco makers drew a blank.

Glad the RAL code is right.

Cheers

Rick
Your right of course and I also have a copy. I thought the Leyland Brothers also used a Haffie on one of their trips but I now believe that Malcolm Douglas used one on one of his early trips that was filmed but I haven't been able to find out its name.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Gary,

my father restored a Haflinger from Great Britain which was originally beige. He also decided to go for the RAL 7032 and I am quite happy with the result. It is not a perfect match, but very close and I find that it looks more or less original.
haflinger01.jpg
haflinger01.jpg (186.24 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
haflinger05.jpg
haflinger05.jpg (203.7 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
Regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

A nice looking vehicle.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have used some of the new paint to touch up the foot well and area under the seats and RAL 7032 matches what is there. However in doing this work I can see that the area under the dash is original paint. In comparing this with the area that has RAL 7032 on it there is a very slight difference. As thought, the original paint is just a little darker and a bit richer in colour but really only noticeable when the two are compared side by side. In fact RAL 7032 looks like the original paint that has faded a bit in the sun over a couple of years.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
brad

Post by brad »

Guys,

Did they ever make a Haffy in Pure White or was Pebble Grey the closest they got?

Brad
Brad

2 x 700AP 1971 , 1973 Rebuilding
1966 Ex Army Haffy 101823 Rebuilding
1966 Hafflinger Trailer 101889
2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I was sent an email from AUTOQUARIAT this morning and it had this link in it to a paint colour library.

http://autocolorlibrary.com/

Might be useful to some one who is going to paint their Haflinger by colour matching - Couldn't see any thing "labelled" as Steyr-Puch so presumably it is under the FIAT name?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John,

if you follow the other link to http://www.standox.com & then click on "Color Formulations" and then search for "Steyr Puch" it returns eight shades. If these shades are accurate then this could be a major development.

Having just spent A LOT of effort trying to get some Reseda Green made up for my respray that it happening at the moment, this could well have saved me time, bother, money and inconvenience.

See http://cdb.sxcolor.info/en/AdvancedSear ... e=official

Does anyone know if these colours are indeed accurate? I could be tempted to have some Reseda Green made up according to the Standox formula, but the reality is that I have little if anything to compare it to that is known to be accurate.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The problem is always going to be the fact that different computer systems (PC / Mac / Android / whatever and different monitors) will produce a different colour to each human that sees it!

So really the only way to "guarantee" that you are using the original colour would be to rely on something other than the colour to make the paint up. In other words, you need the formula that was used to create the paint that was used on your particular vehicle. That is what the "paint code" was supposed to do, but they keep changing how they arrive at that code. Each time "they" convert from one coding system to another you run the risk of the colours altering slightly.

In other words, it is still a big can of worms and is likely to stay that way!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John - I'm obviously not suggesting that a colour be created from a computer screen rendition - but the Standox website does seem to include a colour "recipe". Whether that recipe is accurate to the original I don't know.

I could ask my local paint man to make up a half litre using the Standox recipe to see what it looks like. The only downside is that I might then regret the colour that I have now chosen for my Haf! :oops:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

As you will be the one who has to "live with it" all the time, be happy with the colour you have chosen! Get an extra pot of paint from your paint man so you can "touch-up" when ever the need arises!

The point I was trying to make is that when they change the "colour coding system", which seems to happen every decade or so! People end up having to resort to trying to find some bit of paint which has never seen the light of day in order to try and colour match - this is a subjective test as the colour "test" strips which you paint man compares the sample to is either shown on a monitor, printed on a card sheet or something similar. So now you are relying on someone's eyes to see the same colour as you!

John