Another strange bracket

heinkeljb

Another strange bracket

Post by heinkeljb »

OK, so here is another strange bracket for people to identify. My 1973 LWB has this on both sides of the dashboard.
strange bracket.jpg
strange bracket.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Another strange bracket

Post by Julian B »

John,

Those brackets are the receiving end for the door stays, which are made of webbing, are about 4 inches long, and stop the doors blowing open too far. I don't have the Parts Manual with me, but they are shown in it.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Many thanks Julian,

yet another thing I will have to try and find or make...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I made some straps up last week with some nylon webbing - didn't take long to do and stop the doors swinging around moving the rear vision mirrors out of adjustment.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I seem to remember seeing a photo of the original strap somewhere with the metal pins for attaching them to the door and body work.
Has anyone got a photo they can post so I can make some, I have looked at the parts book but its not very clear.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Asked around about the straps and got this as a reply.
Approx 120 x 45 mm, rod is 6mm. Note I am not 100% sure this strap is from a front door.
strap pic 1.jpg
strap pic 2.jpg
strap pic 3.jpg
It looks like the straps were originally webbing material rather than leather like I thought.

John

ogdenenterprise

Thank you John, I will have some made .

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

We are not sure that the length is correct for the front doors, these might be back door straps. They are made the same way, but the fronts might be a different length. What I would do is open the doors and see how long you think they should be, Then make some a little shorter as they will stretch a bit if the doors are caught by the wind.

John

ogdenenterprise

Hi John,
Good call, I will check before I have some made. I did not realise that the back doors had provisions for check straps, I will check the next time I go in the shed.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I have just had these door check straps made, the pins are stainless steel and I have 1 straight and 1 bent as it looks that way in the parts book. If someone knows if they are different please let me know.

Dave
Attachments
433.JPG
432.JPG
431.JPG