Rear seats

heinkeljb

Rear seats

Post by heinkeljb »

Seeing as I have managed to get Lurch running reasonably well, I have decided to look at some of the less pressing items that need to be sorted.

So, how do you take the rear seat lids off? The hinges are welded to both the lids and the platform. There is quite a lot of welding to be done and it would be easier if the lids were not attached to the platform.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Re: Rear seats

Post by cascade.king »

Can't you just knock the hinge pins out? Use a nail set and pop the pins..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I thought that was how they would come off, but having been wrong before about how things are doe on a Haflinger!!

I don't want to break / bend anything more than I have to - the rest of my seat lid is pretty moth eaten and bends easily.
I haven't tried cleaning off the old paint that obviously covers everything. So not sure if the pins are welded on one end or not. I have never seen a Hafi without the covers so obviously they either come off really easily and so go back on again quickly or they are such a pain to take off nobody bothers!

I also think it is quite likely that the pins have wear ridges in them which will make knocking them out a pain.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Mine just knock out..
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.22 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Brilliant - next thing to do then!

Many thanks Mike

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
Not all the Haf hinges are this easy. My pins are peened to a mushroom head on each end so would have needed to be ground off. I removed the hinge plate from the body instead by cutting the spot welds. Just as well that I did because the sheet metal underneath was heavily corroded.
Ciao,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Had another look at the hinges pins and they are flush on both ends. Tried hitting one of them with the appropriate sized pin punch, Nothing!

So now I am stuck contemplating other alternatives. Anybody know where I can get a pair of good seat cover lids from?

Autoquariat list them, but when you finally figure out how to use the stock checking system, they have no stock.

My seat lids will need a LOT of work to make them any good, so if there are some available it might be easier to obtain those than to repair my existing ones.

John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

The cover lids are available thru Haflinger Technik. I think they listed for like 160£ a side.
Mike