Stone chip paint undercoat - where to apply it ...

Julian B

Stone chip paint undercoat - where to apply it ...

Post by Julian B »

Does anyone know whether the outside of the front footwell (a sort of upside down triangle) would originally have had a stone chip undercoat applied to it? Ditto the rear footwell outer vertical sides.

I am getting to the point of needing to decide where to apply this undercoat, but am not totally sure where to stop! Should I use it on "everything below the main body spar", or more selectively?

Thanks in advance,

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
cascade.king

Re: Stone chip paint undercoat - where to apply it ...

Post by cascade.king »

Are you applying the old asphalt type, or the more modern (heavy orange peel type) chip guard found on vehicles today?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I don't have the can (or label) with me, but it is a modern paint that comes in a aerosol can (I think). Am I doing the wrong thing? :eek:

(When I bought it the painter told me which type to get, and IIRC it was the "medium" grade rather than "heavy" grade. So more an orange peel effect than a deeply stucco'd (old fashioned) underseal effect.)

[EDITED TO ADD: Fairly sure it was http://www.mipa-paints.com/gb/product/p ... kt522.html - so not sure where I remembered the roughness grading from? ]
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I didn't mean to worry you.. I would use the more modern stuff, just to establish good paint adhesion..

This is the stuff we use..
wurth2.jpg
wurth2.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
or
wurth.jpg
wurth.jpg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
We have other non-paintable black stuff.. but it just looks like tar..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

From the various Haflingers I have seen, none have had "stone chip" paint on the outside faces of the front footwells or the rear ones. I don't really see an awful lot of muck being thrown at those two places, more likely it will be "scrapping past" things that will attack those paint surfaces.

If you can get the stone chip layer covered with top coat paint, it would look like it was supposed to be there. If you then have some surplus top coat paint you can touch up the scratches easily and because of the "bumpy" surface, you probably won't even see the touch up lines!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pinzmeister

Post by pinzmeister »

Having had 2 brand new Haflingers many years ago I can tell you the panels were just painted with no stone chip protection underneath.
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
It sounds like the asphalt undercoating was not used for Haf's in some parts of the globe but definitely was for those in Canada. Basically it covered the entire underside of the platform from the lowest point of the front foot well rearward as well as inside the engine compartment. Removable parts such as the petrol tank, battery box, toolboxes, spare tire & jerry can hangers did not get the undercoating treatment. The more visible areas such as engine compartment side panel exteriors, outside ends of front & rear footwells and top & rear engine compartment doors also did not receive the coating. The gray/beige areas in the pictures below show where the undercoating had been applied. The photos were taken just after stripping all the dried out and flaking undercoat off.
When I restored this truck I used pick-up truck bedliner coating as a replacement for the original asphalt. I sprayed the bedliner on with a special paint gun and the resulting texture is very equivalent to the original appearance. The epoxy based bedliner has much better adhesion than the asphalt or rock guard material and is much harder. It also accepts paint after a thorough sanding with red 3M abrasive pads.
Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
DSCF0006-120410a.jpg
DSCF0006-120410a.jpg (229.59 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
DSCF0039a.jpg
DSCF0039a.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
DSCF0038a.jpg
DSCF0038a.jpg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Steve - thanks for the info and for the photos - very helpful.

Seeing those photos leaves me in awe with what you have been able to achieve. If mine can be half as nice as that I'd be thrilled! (But having said that, after perhaps 3 or 4 years of procrastination over my refurb, which I put down to the fear of the unknown and not knowing what I was doing, once I got on & started on the work I have loved the process. It has all been great fun!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Next time you will do ALL the work yourself and take then next 5 years to do it! :lol: :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

If I did ALL the work myself it would look worse at the end than the start! :oops: :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

after perhaps 3 or 4 years of procrastination over my refurb, which I put down to the fear of the unknown and not knowing what I was doing, once I got on & started on the work I have loved the process.
Hi Julian,
That's very well stated. It's exactly the first thought that every new Haf owner needs to memorize. Doing things the "right way" isn't difficult when you think it through and is oh soooo satisifying in the end. :D Your truck will be just fine in the end and only you will ever know what didn't go as you'd hoped.

Cheers,
Steve
PS. Here's some more inspiration for you.
Attachments
P1000092a-091111.jpg
P1000092a-091111.jpg (84.46 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

pinzmeister wrote:Having had 2 brand new Haflingers many years ago I can tell you the panels were just painted with no stone chip protection underneath.
My Australian built Haf had no stone chip protection, but I remember the ones we had in the UK had the protection.

Dave