2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
AustHaflinger

Re: Hafflinger on Ebay 1973

Post by AustHaflinger »

Why is there a fuel tank under the drivers seat? Should be under the passenger seat.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

garrycol wrote:Why is there a fuel tank under the drivers seat? Should be under the passenger seat.

Garry
??? On my early trucks it is on the passanger side in the bed but on the 69 truck it is under the drivers seat.
Did some of them come under the passanger seat???
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

All RHD series 2 that I have seen have the tank on the passenger side - maybe more correctly the tank is on the left hand side of the vehicle and on a LHD vehicle would be under the drivers seat. Likewise on my RHD series 2 the drivers seat is bolted down where the passenger seat folds forward to get at the fuel tank.

On thinking about it further, the tank in the ebay ad does not look right so I suspect that the original tank is on the left hand side where it should be ad the one on the right hand side as shown in the pic is probably an additional tank - maybe home made

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It actually looks like they have taken the original tank and swapped it to the drivers side. The tank has the fuel pipe outlet hole at the top of the tank blocked off.

The rest of the front of the Haflinger is easily converted from left hand drive to right hand drive as the steering and pedals are the two things that are generally the most difficult to move. They put an idler arm in the steering so that could be linked to from either side. They designed different pedal so that make the swap easy. Would have made sense to put the fuel filler under the drivers seat as they have to get out to fill up. On a right hand drive vehicle, you have to throw the passenger out so you can fill up! I think it is a good Mod!

Even better if they left the tank on the other side and added this one as well - two fuels tanks, double the distance between fill ups, better balance when at strange angles. If it weren't for the fact that a replacement fuel tank is an expensive thing to buy........ :idea:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

That Haffie would never have been left hand drive. Just doesn't happen like it does in Europe. Cars under 30 yo that are LHD cannot be registered here and while the Haffie is over 30yo, in the 70s a LHD would not have been allowed on the roads and would not have been imported as LHD and converted.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

garrycol wrote:Cars under 30 yo that are LHD cannot be registered here ...
I'd love to know what the Safety Case was for that decision. I've been driving a LHD car in the UK for 30 years (as a second car), and have had no issues whatsoever*. Sounds like a jobsworth decision to me!

* Other than at car park ticket machines, which are a PITA when you are on the "wrong" side :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian B wrote:
garrycol wrote:Cars under 30 yo that are LHD cannot be registered here ...
I'd love to know what the Safety Case was for that decision. I've been driving a LHD car in the UK for 30 years (as a second car), and have had no issues whatsoever*. Sounds like a jobsworth decision to me!

* Other than at car park ticket machines, which are a PITA when you are on the "wrong" side :D
We are a RHD country with no near LHD countries and except in the classic car market - mainly US Mustangs etc there is no trade in LHD cars - is not that unusual - most countries do have similar rules - the USA for example. I guess in Europe, the UK is the exception and common sense applies so you can drive on the continent.

When I lived in the UK in the early 80s I took my E-type to Paris for easter and it was a real pain on their tollways as the toll collectors refused to firstly tell me what the toll was and secondly would not come around to the drivers door 9or even reach in the passenger window and take my money - I had to get out the car at each toll point to pay the toll collector.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

FYI- The USA allows new RHD vehicles.. Subaru and Jeep vehicles are imported RHD for Rural Route postal employees to purchase, since they use their own vehicle for deliveries, and it's handy to have a seating position on the side of the road where the residential mail boxes sit.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes - we do have LHD vehicles for specific purposes - many of our garbage trucks are either LHD (so they can see the garbage bins) or dual control - pick up garbage in LHD, drive to the tip in RHD.

I was heading to live for a while in Seattle in the early 80s and it was made clear to me at the time I would not be able to drive my RHD UK spec E-type there if I took it. I did not end up going for other reasons and brought the car back to Aust.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I also don't think that particular Hafi was ever LHD, just saying that they did make it easy to convert from one to the other. Strange that there are no photos of the passenger side in the Ebay ad. It also says in the Ebay ad that it has a new petrol tank, maybe they just did not know where to put it if there was a big rusty hole on both side under the seat like the are prone to producing.

Maybe they just decided that as they were going to fit a new tank, that they would swap it to under the drivers seat so they didn't have to turf the passenger out in order to fill up?
Maybe there are two petrol tanks?

Unless some one on here buys it or whoever does buy it finds this site, we may never know!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
brad

Post by brad »

Sold $4,500

I wonder whom has it?

Brad
Brad

2 x 700AP 1971 , 1973 Rebuilding
1966 Ex Army Haffy 101823 Rebuilding
1966 Hafflinger Trailer 101889
2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

That is not a bad price - certainly better than the $4k being asked for that pile of parts that was recently on Ebay Aust.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)