another haffy on ebay

haf

another haffy on ebay

Post by haf »

I've seen this for sale on Ebay. I'm thinking of putting in a bid.

What sort of moneyis it worth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steyr-puch-ha ... 1e8f7c6107
cascade.king

Re: another haffy on ebay

Post by cascade.king »

Wow. A $20k polycab.
Honestly.. And I'm not trying to be a joker, but it's honestly worth as much as the market bears.

There was one here in the states that languished in sales sites and Craigslist for months, and kept dropping in value..
I don't know what the UK price would be, but one here in the USA.. $12k-$14k, if you find a buyer. I could be wrong..
Unless it's stunningly original.. Then, all bets are off..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Some discussion on it in this thread.

http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3064
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

It does have a fair amount of forecourt appeal, in that it looks nice and some / much / most of the hard work has already been done. IMHO the £12k figure is way off the mark, but the £5k is perhaps not hugely so. What would you want it for? If originality is important to you, I'd want to know more about how the "LWB chassis tube in place of the standard on, thus making it slightly longer than original" works - has the tube been shortened, or the body lengthened? Strange. I'd also not be swayed by the canvas tilt material - that is cheap as chips, whereas having it made up in to a workable tilt won't be. Also, where are the rear seats?

The tipping body is an interesting addition - if it works and you might like to use it then that has value. (If you buy it and don't want the tipping body I might buy it from you :) ). It is not clear whether the 4/5 tyres are all he has (new ones are not cheap), or whether he is selling a second set too. In my experience rear skid plates are fairly easy to find, but right hand drive front ones significantly less so.

Finally, be aware that the earlier Haflingers are notably slower than the later ones, particularly if you want to use it on road.

Just my two penny's worth!

PS: Where in the world are you based?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome "haf" (such an original moniker :D )

As suggested already, it really depends on why you want a Haflinger and what you want to do with it. If you want to drive it around like an everyday vehicle, the early ones are much slower compared to the latest ones. Off road it doesn't make that much difference.

This example appears from the text to have started life as a short wheel base and then had the long wheel base center tube installed which necessitates either cut and lengthen on original platform or replacement of original platform with a long wheel base version. Text is unclear which has happened.

The tipping rear bed is a interesting idea, but I can see a couple of major issues that still need to be solved. The hydraulic ram will need to be fitted and that means either cutting a hole in the platform and associated relocation of things in the way, or if fitted on top of the platform, some sort of "hump" in the tilting bed to accommodate it. Then there is the electrical supply for the electric motor. The standard Haflinger charging / battery is not going to stand up to constant use of the hydraulics. A separate battery would be better solution, possibly with a split charging system.

If it is what you have set your heart on, then all the surrounding issues will mean nothing - you will live with them if you purchase it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

The Haflinger certainly looks strange... Platform could possibly come off a short wheelbase model and has been "stretched". Engine seems to be much younger than the Haflinger itself, having the oil cooler air exhaust, oil filler for closed loop breathing system etc...

I would not buy that one.

Kind regards,
Constantin
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Also it has had a lot quite a bit of patching and welding done, and not that neatly either. Wonder what else that nice shiny paint is hiding, looks a bit flaky around the fuel filler hole?

Needs a good going over before making any offer or decision, but again it's worth what someone will pay, as has been mentioned a few times in the past.

Good basis for a resto, but not at that money.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton