No Reserve: 1974 Steyr-Puch Haflinger 5-Speed Poly

Techmogogy

No Reserve: 1974 Steyr-Puch Haflinger 5-Speed Poly

Post by Techmogogy »

Just posting as it will be interesting to see what it brings being a no reserve and BaT auctions can be fun to watch right at the end!
This example is not original as you will see but still a nice poly
Dan

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-steyr-haflinger/
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Julian B

Re: No Reserve: 1974 Steyr-Puch Haflinger 5-Speed Poly

Post by Julian B »

How have they managed to get rid of the raised lid at the rear of the load bay? The top of the rear suspension mounts no longer seem to reach up to the load floor (but the front ones do),so maybe it is angled slightly? I can't quite work out what has happened to the height of the engine?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The engine lid is just covered up by the load bed plywood as that goes on top of the platform sides.

Haven’t looked at the suspension, but I don’t think it as been changed much.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The carb/aircleaner are is modified and lower so no lid hump - exactly as should have been done originally.

Why cannot this haf be registered in Georgia?
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
walderse

Post by walderse »

I suspect that the reason this Polycab cannot be licensed in Georgia will be the same reason it not be licensed for on road use in ANY of the fifty US states. The listing calls this a restoration. The only original part of an original Haflinger tub on this "restoration" is the formed sheet metal pressing for the gear shift lever and the choke/throttle cables. Does anyone on this list have a Haflinger with a fuel pedal return spring that attaches from the right side of the pedal to the inside of the foot well?

None of the original stamped sheet metal of the tub is present. The air clear box has not been shortened. The rear of the frame does not make contact with the standard frame mounting wings in line with the coil springs. There is absolutely zero engine bay tin...period! The aluminum steering box/brake master cylinder mount ins clamped to the non-original foot well floor with a ring with side tabs. Even the fourth PTO actuator lever is mounted incorrectly. The rear section of the cab itself should NOT be expanded metal.

Whoever did the work on this truck is certainly a cleaver craftsman with metal working and painting skills. What do you do with a with a polycab cabin (likely with a cracked rear section), a functional but cracked steering box housing and a rolling chassis with engine but a rusted out body? You build a custom frame, sell it without a data plate showing a valid VIN. It could have been brought in disassembled and used antique vehicle parts. Sean Philyaw has been bringing European vehicles, including Haflingers, into the US from years. He is located just north of Atlanta, GA. http://mercedes4x4store.com/about.htm If this Haflinger cannot be licensed in Georgia, there must be a significant deficit in the way of legitimate paperwork.

I would call this truck an impressive heroic salvage of Haflinger parts into a useable transport on private land. A unique vehicle with the same legal street legality as any of the current side-by-side ATVs. This is NOT a restoration.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

I agree with Jim and he caught a few more items I did not notice!
Seller has a lot of vehicles and brings in some nice stuff but this one is very "custom"
Lots of new black spray paint on the whole frame too - like literally everywhere!
Oh - and its already at $9500!! :shock:
Hopefully whoever is buying this knows what they are getting!
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have no idea about registration rules in the US and as Georgia was mentioned in the advert I just assumed that it was a Georgia thing.

Thanks for the information
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Sold for $12,750!!
WOW - surprised considering the home rebuild
At those prices I think it is time I put some effort into selling the 1/2 dozen Hafi's I have!
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
walderse

Post by walderse »

Great idea! Forget authenticity and structural integrity. Just paint them pretty. SOLD!

It would be very interesting to park this truck next to a Polycab in original condition and let the new owner see the differences with their own eyes. Hopefully that owner is now and will remain happy with their purchase.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com