It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

I am a former owner of a Haflinger and am trying to track down the current owner, if it has survived.

The particular Haflinger had a Toyota 600 conversion and a fully re-built body. I sold it along with another original one whilst in the middle of a disastrous divorce and have regretted it ever since (the sale). I am interested in the Toyota model as it is of significant sentimental value to me. The one I am searching for had a rebuilt body out of heavy gauge steel except for the upper front section. The tray was flat plate (no ribbing). Fiberglass roof. Chocolate brown body, yellow roof. Sold to Maurice Raiola in Sydney. Collected from Ipswich in SE Queensland in 2000.

I would be very grateful for any and all information.

Regards, Dale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:01 am 

Hi Dale - so the tips provided in the other thread are not the same vehicle??

Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 am 

Well, this thread is still in the wrong place, shouldn't it be under "wanted". Not that I mind - The web site flags up any new post so you can see there is a post you haven't read.

Doesn't Oz have the equivalent of the UK's DVLA - A central place that keeps records of all vehicle that you could ask for details, if only that it still exists?

John

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am 

heinkeljb wrote:
Doesn't Oz have the equivalent of the UK's DVLA - A central place that keeps records of all vehicle that you could ask for details, if only that it still exists?

John

No - Australia is a Federation of what was six independent colonies so all have all there own rules and regulations - the only areas of commonality is where the States have traded away authority in various areas to the Federal Government. At Federation the Federal Government only had responsibility for Defence, Customs and Foreign Affairs and the State Governments everything else. The Queen has 7 representatives - the Governor General at the Federal level and State Governors at State Level - none are subservient to another and as such Governors do not report the Governor General bit direct to the Queen.

In theory a State could decide to leave the Federation and at various times some have wanted to but in reality given the amount of authority they have traded away to the Feds it is unlikely. At Federation New Zealand was supposed to be the 7th State but they chose not to join the Federation and go it alone but you would never know it given their numbers in Australia.

Each State and Territory has its equivalent of the DVLA but most do not release information on vehicles not currently owned by yourself for privacy and other reasons - also unlike the UK, number plates do not stay with vehicles when they change jurisdictions or go in and out of registration, each time a new number plate is issued. As far as I can tell, my Haflinger has had at least 5 different number plates in its life and four in the last 8 years (and it will change again next month when I change to Historic Registration).

So it is unlikely you will get any information on the vehicle unless you can show current ownership.

So a little history for John :)

Garry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 pm 

Garry, As best as I could tell, the previous mentioned hybrids are not my old one. Considering the passage of time, the give away was the ribbed floor to the rear tray. Mine was flat sheet, probably a couple of mm thick! Also the engine cover was a heavy lift-off (not hinged) unit with an air filter mounted on top. Anyway, thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Dale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 am 

Keep looking Dale,

Following on from John's point if you had previous rego details (if it was registered) from Qld you will not get any information out of their system due to privacy however if in NSW you can apply to get information (for a fee), and if you actually call the lady in charge of the area and sweet talk her a bit you will get more information from her than you will in the official response.

Good luck with your search.

Garry

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

I have had a little luck in that an old image has shown up on this site (attached). I purchased the Chocolate/Cream one from the dealer when Tony traded it in. I had it for several years and finally on a 100 acre property in Northern NSW. I rebuilt the engine back to as new. I am still interested in any leads. Many thanks, Dale

Attachments:
Tony rebuild 1_Haflinger.jpg
Tony rebuild 1_Haflinger.jpg [ 198.57 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:33 pm 

Hi All, I just thought I would poke this thread in case someone has found something in the last couple of years. I am still looking for it... Thanks to all Dale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:44 am 

Still looking... Dale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am 

And I'm still here. No leads? Dale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:16 pm 

I think you will have to try and find some more details of the buyer - an old address or phone number. Then from there, talk to neighbours to see if you can find out what happened to it. maybe it has been scrapped or put into a local garage and locked away?

John

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. Yes I am sure you are right. More sleuthing is required. Dale