New member to the forum from Australia.

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Vampyr

Re: New member to the forum from Australia.

Post by Vampyr »

Gary of the top ten we've got the first 9, they all bloody kill you, thank GOD for long handled shovels.
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Gary, No not a dangerous type just a python. Not very big but not happy that he had been disturbed. We have some nasty ones here but they generally stay away from people. We have had pythons in the house as it is wide open during the day, and the dog we had used to let us know there was one about. They will give you a bite if stirred up but won't kill you, unless of course if you step on it on the bedroom floor at 2 in the morning, you may die of heart failure.
Regards Rick.
woodman

Post by woodman »

Vampyr wrote:Gary of the top ten we've got the first 9, they all bloody kill you, thank GOD for long handled shovels.
Thank GOD for long handled shovels, I just thank GOD I live in England, don't come across many snakes :lol: any how take care and good luck with your rebuild, also stick the horse shoe back on the vehicle it would be a nice touch Regards Pete
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

woodman wrote: Thank GOD for long handled shovels, I just thank GOD I live in England, don't come across many snakes :lol:
The snakes are easy to deal with - it is the Drop Bears that you have to worry about - nasty critters that go straight for the throat and a long handled shovel is not much use.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Yeah, Them Australian politicians always could dance around a shovel. Danny
mechanical horse

Hey Gary, Was on exchange with the US Army once and did we have a good time with drop bears. At their welcoming BBQ's which continued until the day we left, the kids used to look at us a bit with unbelieving looks but the adults believed most of what we said. There was a mention on one of the post about their jerry cans with the large filler cap where you could hide your beer, we never tried to hide our beer as the Gamma Goats all seemed to be fitted with plug in fridges. The Goats were magic machines but not as good as the mighty Haffie.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

mechanical horse wrote:opened the battery box to find the battery missing but there was a snake there in its place. I don't know if it belonged to the previous owner of if it was from here.
Regards Rick.
It wasn't this little fellow was it? I guess not as it had been living in the roof for 15 years :o

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... spartandhp

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

What a great rat catcher
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I guess something like that is your worst nightmare when you are at work under a house.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Gary, that why GOD invented double barrelled shotguns.
mechanical horse

Gidday all,
Now that is a snake !!!!!!!!! It wouldn't fit into a Haffie battery box. It might fit into a B747 battery box though.
Just after we moved here the local house removalist offered me a job, and I asked him who gets to crawl under the houses with the Funnel Web spiders and the snakes, and he said 'that will be you" Needless to say I remained on the retired list.
Regards Rick.
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

0069 RESIZED.jpg
0064 RESIZED.jpg
i love snakes .
it is a Tasmanian Tiger Snake , yes it is very venomous .
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

NICE
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

AustHaflinger wrote: it is the Drop Bears that you have to worry about - nasty critters that go straight for the throat and a long handled shovel is not much use.
Imagedrop-bear

Imagedropbear

Garry
And here is one for real - nasty critters

https://youtu.be/KCGUNpzjD6M
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So who is the Queensland member who has been showing his Haflinger in the little town of Maleny in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and not telling us on the forum about it.

Note we have our spies every where :lol:
Haflinger Maleny.jpg
Haflinger Maleny 1.jpg
So Rick what have you got to say for yourself 8-)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
mechanical horse

Hey Gary,
Guilty Your honour on all counts.
This was the first outing to show the Haffy off to the public which was a fund raiser day for the car club that I am in and also another 2 groups that share the same area as us. Covid knocked us a bit with numbers but we still had heaps of people through the gate.
Most of the comments about Harold were positive, except for a hand full including a horrible male teenager who told me that he wanted to "smash it" but we had a quiet discussion about that and I told him I would park the vehicle on his head if it was damaged. I was surprised that so many people never had a clue about the vehicle and had never heard of them. They seemed impressed with the rebuild that I did but some eyed me with caution that I had actually spent 4 1/2 years and about 5800 hours doing it. I could see their brain ticking over with them thinking that I needed to get a life.
Your mate raced up to me as soon as I turned the engine off on arrival, and said that "his mate in Syd has got one of these, his name is Gary ........ and did I know him". I told him "I never even knew the bloke who has got the pub in Syd" but in a short time the penny dropped and I said "I know OF a Gary in Syd who has got a Haffy and is on a forum that I keep an eye on, so we ended up having a nice old chat.
The Haffy ended up an interesting restoration and I am happy with the end result and am still getting used to it. The speed worries me a bit and I usually lead the procession when I take it out for a run. When the other vehicles get passed the drivers never yell abuse about being held up but usually give me the thumbs up.My mate has got an A Model ford and his opinion is if a vehicle is stuck behind him they have 3 choices. They either pull over, or they can pass him or they can sit there and enjoy the scenery. I am beginning to think that way as well.
Regards Rick.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hey Rick - great to see you owned up :lol:

Yes I am also surprised that people in Australia don't know more about the Haflinger given there are large numbers here, albeit very few on the road - yes I get the bogans all wanting to go bush bashing as well. Happy to talk to genuine car enthusiasts but the other get told to $% - move on pretty quickly.

It is a shame that my mate Andrew who you spoke to didn't have his Land Rover 101 at the show - it is very eye catching being bright yellow and stands out in a crowd.

It is great to see your Haflinger out and about and I am sure I lot of people now know a bit more about Haflingers. 8-)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Globe-Roamer

Post by Globe-Roamer »

Hi Rick,
Congratulations on the completion of your restoration.

We've just purchased our first "complete" Haflinger along with a bunch of spare parts and a spare chassis, we already had one spare chassis after buying John's spare one.

We're quite looking forward to getting stuck into it and will be a nice change of pace from the Unimogs we're normally working on.

If you're interested in hanging out with some locals who are into the more unusual off road vehicles, come on over to the facebook group
"Mercedes Offroad Getting Social" It's a group we started in SEQ, initially it was Mog Owners Getting Social, but then we bought some G Wagens, so changed it.

Our next outing is likely going to be Double Island Point towards the end of January, but haven't confirmed yet.

Chris
Globe Roamer
Haflingers: 1 x 700AP, 2 x Chassis.
Unimogs: U1000, U1300, U1700 x 2, U2150 & U4000.
MB Tracs: MB Trac 800, MB Trac 1000.
G Wagens: 290GD Soft-Top Ute, 2 x 300GD Wagen