Fitted some flexible red LEDs on the back

heinkeljb

Fitted some flexible red LEDs on the back

Post by heinkeljb »

I saw these flexible waterproof LED strips and bought some red ones for the rear and some white ones for the front.
Fitted the rear ones on Lurch so far.
New LED rear lights.jpg
Really ought to do the front ones as well, maybe at the weekend...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Fitted some flexible red LEDs on the back

Post by AustHaflinger »

You can never have too much bling :-)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My rear lights seem to get rather caked in mud and then can hardly be seen, so not just for the bling effect!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

what their smokes in england :lol:
2x 700 AP Pathfinder 1972
703 AP with Huber Winch
Pinzgauer 716 MK
https://www.haflingerverdeckesahler.at/
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - only one of your number plates lights is working.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Gidday all,
For someone on this side of the world to tell someone on the other side of the world that his number plate light is not working, just cracked me up. It has made my day, but mind you I have got a warped sense of humour. What a classic.
Regards Rick.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That number plate light started strobing whilst I was testing the wiring and by the time I came to take the picture, it had stopped working.
This seems to be a big problem with LED lights and the Haflinger. Maybe because the electrical output varies quite a lot.
Like Gary, I only noticed it when I posted the photograph!So will hve to check the connections and replace it if necessary.

John

Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Did you put any sort of resistor in?
I was just reading an article about replacing G wagon switch lights with LEDs and LED life without a resistor can be extremely short esp when replacing old incandescent bulbs.
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

My understanding is that with indicators a resistance is required to trip the coil in the Flasher unit of
the indicator circuit.

With all other 12V LEDs, a 12V supply will suffice ( although most modern alternators chuck our 14.4V but in the remit for "12"v LEDs) and he need for resistors is unnecessary?
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

No, no other resistor except the ones that are already part of the unit along with their own voltage regulator chips.
If you want to use LEDs as indicator bulb, you either need to put a resistor in because the old style indicator flasher unit rely on a bi-metalic strip which is heated by the current flowing through a coil of wire and the LED's don't provide enough current. You can get new electronic flasher units which don't need the current draw to work.
Ordinary LED single light units might not have a built in resistor but most new vehicle (12 volt / 24 volt) LED's already have a voltage / current regulator. The biggest problem seems to be that the built in systems are not as good as they should be!

I am toying with the idea of using a big capacitor as used by the Audio fraternity when putting in high power Amps in order to even out the electrical power delivery.

John