engine oil leak

ogdenenterprise

Re: engine oil leak

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi John , I had the bottom plate off while the engine was in pieces, so i think the tube is ok . If i get chance tomorrow I will check the pump and oil cooler.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

Update, I have finally got round to stripping the engine again,( I have not run the engine since the last post) this time I removed the con rods from the big end and not just tried to seal the oil leaks. I think I have found the problem, when my friend built the engine he fitted the 2 half bearing on one the con rods the wrong way round. I have checked for damage but everything seems Ok , I only ran the engine for short periods as the oil leaks started straight away. I am at the stage where I am refitting the engine tin work so I am hoping to have it back in place in the next 2 - 3 weeks if time permits.
When I removed the engine I ripped the engine bay/body rubber seal, so I have purchased a replacement. I fitted the original with the large lip to the internal of the engine bay, can any one advise if this is the correct way :? :oops:

Dave
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The seal has two lips, one lip goes underneath the engine seal, the other goes on top. So once you have the seal on top of the tinware, you need to go underneath and using a small screwdriver, lever the long seal to be underneath. Real pain doing the engine firewall section.

Well done for finding the bearing problem, As you pointed out, only find things like that if you take everything apart and start again!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I have fitted mine with the longer "flap" on top of the tin work.
Attachments
DSC_6906 2.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The longer flap needs to go on the bottom - helps seal the elements out from the bottom and stops the underside from hanging down and catching on stuff.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

:oops:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Looking at the profile of your rubber seal - You have it fitted correctly - short edge under and long edge on top of the tinware. I don't think it will matter too much if it is one way or the other as it will still provide the same amount of "seal" unless the tinware is very bent in one direction or the other.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Like John says I fitted it with the long seal upwards because of the profile where it secures to the body.

Dave
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Mine was installed long side up (or in)
IMG_0470.JPG
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT