Slip fit exhaust tube into the head manifold part?

Czechsix

Slip fit exhaust tube into the head manifold part?

Post by Czechsix »

Or were the tubes brazed in?

I've got my entire exhaust in the white, but where the cast elbows are that connect to the heads, the tubes are simple pushed in...with tons of gap. Someone, at one time, tried to braze them up and they got maybe 10% covered, so I can't see that being factory at all.

I'm thinking that I might just go with some of the ceramic exhaust pipe repair sludge and see if I can get a decent seal that way. Alternately, I might assemble while the engine is on the bench, and then tack everything together...and then run a braze seal.

Ideas? Comments? Mockery? :lol:
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Re: Slip fit exhaust tube into the head manifold part?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not sure how they were originally but mine are welded in.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Interesting, Garry. No sign whatsoever, other than the crap braze leftovers that these were ever solidly attached. I could mount them up and permanently affix them....but I wonder why it wasn't done? This is a Swiss 700AP if it makes a difference. 1963 vintage.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Going by the fact that the inlet manifold pipes are brazed in to the Carb mounting block, I would assume the pipes are brazed on to the cast exhaust elbows as it would allow you to remove those bits of pipe and replace with new, without having to have new exhaust manifold elbows! Having said that, I don't think that sort of replacement was ever contemplated by by either Steyr or by any army which bought them!

I have to either find complete replacement for Lurch's system (with heat exchangers), or buy a pipe bending system to make a replacement set of pipes as I broke it doing a Trials section last night!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Ouch, sorry to hear about that breakage, John. Luckily, it's not rocket science, just takes time. Take good notes on dimensions and bend angles too - you might find yourself a new business opportunity :D.

Regarding the brazing, there's so little left of the braze material that it really looks like an unsuccessful attempt by an amateur at it. Really doesn't look like factory work, big difference between the elbows and the two hole flanges, for instance. The flanges have nicely worked brazing, the elbows are, at best, minimal cold joints.