Robert Prokschi - Customer Service

The only place where products and services from commercial vendors are to be posted.
AustHaflinger

Robert Prokschi - Customer Service

Post by AustHaflinger »

As some of you know, I installed 75kph hub gears sourced from Robert Prokschi in October 2014.

I drove on those years for 1800km and then in early November last year, one of the gears failed. Of the eight gears installed it was one of the large rear gears that had its teeth worn off. Its drive gear was Ok and the opposite side hub gears were Ok but showing a little wear.

Once I advised Prokschi of the issue, Matthias Prokschi advised that this was the first issue they had and would discuss with the manufacturer. Their response was to replace the effected items and for me to itemise my costs (installation, consumables and shipping) and they would refund all those. On my part I was not interested in these additional costs just having serviceable items.

I sent off the gears just before Christmas and late last week I received a new set of rear gears in the mail.

I certainly accept that when you purchase items that on occasion there can be unexpected problems and the issue comes down to how the seller deals with the issue.

Many sellers just want to wash their hands of the problem but to Matthias' credit he took ownership from the start and offered a great solution for which I am thankful.

So full marks to Matthias and to the business of Robert Prokschi and the customer focus they have.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Re: Robert Prokschi - Customer Service

Post by Czechsix »

Good to hear that. Customer Service is something that's definitely going out of style, at least in most places.

I'll probably be making an order with Prokschi within the next few months.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

good news mate

i like companies that do the right thing .
cheers
kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just an update - its been about a year (and 1200km) since I put in the genuine high speed hub gears that I got from Kerry after the aftermarket gears failed in the left hand rear hub.

While I was reasonably happy that there was a manufacturing issue of the aftermarket gears, always in the back of my mind was the possibility of another issue - not sure what that good be though.

So I have been replacing the rear hub oil every 200-300km. The first oil change showed well used oil and some swarf but not a large lot - I assumed this was stuff washed out of nooks and crannies in the hub I had missed when I cleaned it after the failure - with each change there was less swarf but the oil was dirty (dark and working hard - not burnt though) - fast forward to yesterday and I changed the oil again after about 300km since the last. Again oil was very dark and has been working hard and virtually no swarf - the other hub the oil was basically clear with virtually no swarf - I wished I got so little out of the front diff of my RRS when I change it. The a little indent at the bottom of the hub that collects the fine metal particles (acts like a magnetic) so is not swept up by the oil. When the oil is changed the oil runs out it is clear and the metal bits only come out the very end.

So the OEM gears are working fine with little or no wear though there is still something going on in the hub as the oil does not come out clean - maybe a bearing that is not in top condition causing the oil to work a bit harder than normal - there is no burning small so not a big issue at this stage.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

How far a part did you take the hub after the failure? Cogs out, hub shaft out? Or did you take the bearing out at the top and the bottom?

If you left bearings in, then as you say - more than likely there is still some crud hiding in the crevices and it will wear the bearings slowly and give you dirty oil.

Next time you do an oil change on the hub you could try filling it with petrol and turning things by hand for a while before draining and running a couple of oil changes though it (preferably a very thin oil), before putting the correct oil in and running it as normal.

The only issue is that you won't really wash the top bearing with the petrol as you can't fill the hub that far! Still it should clear some of the crud out that has managed to stay behind.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - I dismantled each hub but left the bearings in place - they all turned fine and looked fine - the lot was washed with petrol and air blasted. At the first oil change again filled with petrol and turned quite a bit.

Metal specs in the oil are now pretty well gone - there is no silvering as there was with the old hub gears but the only issue now is why the oil in that one hub is working a lot harder than the others.

I must admit I am surprised at how little oil there is in each hub - to maximise the oil in the hub I fill and put the filler plug in, then turn the hub as quick as I can so as much oil as possible is up high and then remove the filler and top up - I manage to get an extra 50ml or so in.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Maybe it doesn't like the extra oil? You could try 300km with the correct amount of oil, correct weight of oil and see what comes out. Possibly a discrepancy in the amount of oil in each hub and the one that has more has to work harder?

Difficult one to find the real culprit, except by trial and error and time!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

One thing you might try is getting one of the handheld surface temp gadgets - the ones with the laser pointer and temp readout, pistol grip,etc.

Go for a drive, take some readings on different areas of the hum and surrounding area. At the least you'll know if the heat and wear issue is in a certain area. Might help pinpoint the bad assembly before it grenades.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I was doing that with the previous hub gears and there was no indication of any issue based on temps as all hubs were consistent - about 40 degrees c - but I haven't done it with these gears so will try again.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)