New Member Craig Foster

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
FosterTas

New Member Craig Foster

Post by FosterTas »

Hi
I wish to introduce myself and my recently purchased Haflinger. Fortunately I have now managed to get it going, currently working on the break system and then I will repair the numerous rust spots. My aim is to get it running and stabilized for use around my place. It is slow progress as I have no mechanical or car restoration experience. Each task requires many visits to Google and the technical manuals to understand how to fix things.

Craig Foster
Acton Park
Tasmania
Australia
Attachments
Haflinger on first day
Haflinger on first day
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
heinkeljb

Re: New Member Craig Foster

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome Craig,

Looks like you don't have a huge amount to "actually" have to do to get it up and running. Which bits have you had to deal with so far and which bits are you struggling with?

This is probably the best place to get help if you don't have access to someone who has "Been there, done that" local to you!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Welcome Craig. Love the photo - a classic Down Under photo 8-)

Sounds like your mechanical skills are akin to mine, but one of the joys of the Haflinger is its comparative simplicity. No anti roll bars or central locking etc etc to worry about!

My brother brought our shared Haflinger over to me yesterday, complaining that the NSR hub was leaking. Looks like that will keep me occupied for a while ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Welcome Craig. Tasmania is certainly Haflinger treasure island. Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum - I guess until we get to know you we will have to refrain form Tasmanian jokes 8-)

For those who have not clicked on Craig's pic it is actually up the right way when opened up - I am sure I have seen pics of it before but cannot place it - so Craig where did you find it?

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
FosterTas

Post by FosterTas »

heinkeljb wrote:Welcome Craig,

Looks like you don't have a huge amount to "actually" have to do to get it up and running. Which bits have you had to deal with so far and which bits are you struggling with?

This is probably the best place to get help if you don't have access to someone who has "Been there, done that" local to you!

John

John,
When I picked it up it was not going and one brake was seized, It was missing the fan belts and the fan nut was loose. So I replaced the nut and installed new fan belts. Installed a battery and started it with some start you bastard and away she went, albeit in a thick white cloud of smoke. I serviced the engine and changed the petrol and much to my relief she does does not blow smoke anymore. I cold chiseled the back deck off as it was full of rust, fortunately the main frame has no structural issues. Next job is to stabilize all the surface rust on the main body and give it a coat of paint so that she looks a lot better. The pads on the breaks had started lifting off, decided that the breaks needed a major service as I live on a hill, started replacing the break cylinders and repairing the brake shoes and drums. Probably need to replace the break lines as I easily broke one when removing one wheel cylinder. Once I get the breaks going, I intend to just use it for a while to ascertain what works and what needs attention. A few of the rubber boots need replacing however I think everything is working. Just need to keep working through the grease and oil points to complete the servicing and check out the status.

They did not build these with rust prevention in mind so a lot of time has been spent using a grinder.

Craig
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
FosterTas

Post by FosterTas »

Julian B wrote:Welcome Craig. Love the photo - a classic Down Under photo 8-)

Sounds like your mechanical skills are akin to mine, but one of the joys of the Haflinger is its comparative simplicity. No anti roll bars or central locking etc etc to worry about!

My brother brought our shared Haflinger over to me yesterday, complaining that the NSR hub was leaking. Looks like that will keep me occupied for a while ...
Julian,
Not sure how the photo flipped over but when you click on it is OK. Glad to hear that I am not the only one with minimal skills in this area.

Craig
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
FosterTas

Post by FosterTas »

garrycol wrote:Hi Craig and welcome to the forum - I guess until we get to know you we will have to refrain form Tasmanian jokes 8-)

For those who have not clicked on Craig's pic it is actually up the right way when opened up - I am sure I have seen pics of it before but cannot place it - so Craig where did you find it?

Cheers

Garry
Garry
Bring on the Tasmanian jokes, only lived here for 30 years, originally form Brisbane, Queensland.

Craig
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
FosterTas

Post by FosterTas »

garrycol wrote:Hi Craig and welcome to the forum - I guess until we get to know you we will have to refrain form Tasmanian jokes 8-)

Cheers

Garry

Garry
I bought it from a gentleman at Dodges Ferry in Tasmania. He had it for about 20 years. Originally it is from South Australia. The brakes were full sandy loam from Dodges Ferry and the chassis was full of red dust from South Australia. It had not been started for many years. I have seen a photo on the internet of another haflinger with a similar frame on the back.

Craig
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That was probably a frame produced by local company which sold Haflingers. I doubt there are many left but than there are not so many Haflingers left.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!