Looking for the old engine for a Swiss 700AP engine#5355304

Czechsix

Looking for the old engine for a Swiss 700AP engine#5355304

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, total shot in the dark!

But one never knows, maybe someone has it out there?

From what I know about the previous history, the previous engine was a basket case, but as an original piece I'd like to have it - and who knows, I've got lots of time on my hands. Might be saveable if I can find it.

Anyway, the engine number is from the VIN tag, truck is a 1963 700AP.

Thanks!
Last edited by Czechsix on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Re: Looking for the old engine for a Swiss 700AP #5355304

Post by heinkeljb »

Good luck!! Your going to need it - most engines that were basket cases when these vehicles where still relatively new, have ended up in landfills.

Unless the original owner had somewhere that it could just be put out of the way,

Was there a dealership network that might have taken the engine when it was replaced? If so, that would be an avenue to look down.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yeah, I haven't won a lottery - ever - so maybe this'll be it!

What I've been told is that the previous owner was in Arizona, and some family members damaged the vehicle. It was then sold to a dealer, and brought up to functional status by Jim at Goatwerks. The replacement engine was sourced from eBay, but I don't have a link to that auction, if it's even still available.

But all sorts of things happen, something like this type of engine, even if it's damaged probably wouldn't make it into a trash pile, someone would keep it in the back corner of a garage, or under a bench, etc.

Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to trace where, and how the truck came into the U.S.A., or when it was sold originally at auction. All I know is that it's a 1963 Swiss 700AP, but I'd sure like to know more about it's history.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Good luck with the search. I managed to track my original engine down; a previous owner but one had removed it 25 years previously as a piston had come through the casing :o . He VERY kindly gave it to me, and I managed to have it repaired, and then I put all of the moving bits from the current engine into the casing. So I now have "matching numbers" once again. :)

Do you have the Waggenstammkarte for your Haf? One can ask Magna Steyr for it, but it isn't free :shock:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Thanks, Julian, that's good to hear that it actually worked out for at least one us.

I don't have the karte for the Haf, but I'll probably have to order it. At the least I've got the motor number on the VIN plate. I'm not sure how much extra help the karte would be, since this is a pretty standard Swiss 700AP from the military.
Julian B

Re: Looking for the old engine for a Swiss 700AP engine#5355

Post by Julian B »

I doubt the waggenstammkarte will be of any use in tracking down the engine, nd presume the original "buyer" will merely be "Swiss Army plc" (or similar!), but it can be nice to have. Not cheap though ... I half remember it was the thick end of EUR100
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, Dale at Haflingertechnik quoted £75
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Czechsix wrote:Yep, Dale at Haflingertechnik quoted £75
And it is just a scanned copy.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

The price has gone up a fair bit, but that might be down to Magna Steyr who provides Haflinger Technik with these scans as the original record owners. So in effect you are paying for two companies for their time in arranging these requests, so fair enough to me.
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

FWIW I went direct to Magna Steyr in Graz.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I think even if you buy directly from Magna (S-Tec) its approx. 90 Euro. They are trying to make big money out of everything now. 10 years back, a friendly Magnasteyr staff member would look up and scan your Wagenstammkarte for free.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I think you just won the lottery! While going through some of Scott's Haflinger parts, I came across that very case.
Case looks ok even though the crankshaft was in 2 pieces.
Left a message with Scott for you.
I can put it in the parts washer for a better look if you like.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Goatwerks wrote:I think you just won the lottery! While going through some of Scott's Haflinger parts, I came across that very case.
Case looks ok even though the crankshaft was in 2 pieces.
Left a message with Scott for you.
I can put it in the parts washer for a better look if you like.

:o :D

Thanks for the call, Jim, I'll holler at you later today. Already emailed with Scott and settled on a price.

:mrgreen:
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Wow!!!!

The wonders of the Internet!!!!

Really nice that you have managed to get even just the part of the crankcase / gearbox which has the original numbers on it... I really thought it would have been gone forever once it did not get passed on with the truck.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

WOW!! :shock:
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT