Canvas hood & Door Material

ogdenenterprise

Canvas hood & Door Material

Post by ogdenenterprise »

More info required if anyone can help, I want to keep everything as near to original as possible,so what type/quality of material are used on the original hoods. I have been checking on the internet but I cant find any conclusive answers. I have seen waxed cotton duck webbing ??? but this comes in different weights , was the hood material thicker than the door covers? I am sure I will have other questions but in the meantime any info would be appreciated.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

Re: Canvas hood & Door Material

I have recently received some black canvas from a manufacturer in the UK, I have also purchased some plastic for the windows. I am slowly gathering information to have a Lwb tilt made. A big thank you to Julian, Constantine and Dale at Haflinger Technik for the photos. I have spoken to a local canvas maker who will make the cover when I am ready, he said he would first make a template from different material. so he can reproduce the main one as near to original from all the photos I will be supplying and also I will have a template if any others are needed.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Making a template that others can use too would be a huge asset; it always strikes me as crazy that everyone seems to have to re-invent the wheel when making a new canvas ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

This site makes a nice central place to put such information....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

I have started making straps for the canvas, the short canvas straps are to secure the canvas above the windscreen, the rivets are only fitted temporarily till the canvas is made .
can anyone advise what length the straps are that hold the canvas to the vertical framework behind the front seats, so I can replicate them.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
tpond

Post by tpond »

Very nice work!
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Dave not to want to put a dampener on your great work - but I see you sourced your canvas from the UK. Just be aware that UK canvas is not as UV stable as our local product and will break down in our sun in a few years. So when not being used make sure you keep it well covered and out of the sun.

I have this problem with my LR FC101 - my first canopy only lasted 5 years and was kept under a caravan cover. Unfortunately I need to use the genuine item as they are not made locally but I now take precautions.

So just be aware of that and take the relevant precautions - also of course you will have mould issues in the rainy season compounding the problem.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry,
I tried to source similar canvas in Oz but nobody wanted to help. When I contacted the manufacturing company in the Uk, they advised it was the same material that they supplied to Land Rover for their vehicles. as they say time will tell. lt is parked in my shed most of the time out of the sun but I will also cover it with a sheet to protect it from the sun and geckos, as you probably know the geckos crap everywhere.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes I know what you mean about the lack of assistance by local suppliers, yet they are the first to complain that no one buys local.

Some pointers are here http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic= ... 92#msg1092 - you can read the text but not see the pics without registering etc. The text covers it pretty well. The pool noodles are a neat trick that I did not use - movement of the cover on the canvas does wear it and the noodles keep the cover off the canvas so the geckos can still get between and still crap on your canvas.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi everyone, still looking for more information, this time its the opening window on a canvas cab front door. I have seen various photos of the frame that holds the clear perspex made from canvas and vinyl/ leather type materials, can anyone advise which type was original.

Dave