Preventing doors bending in when on a trailer at speed

Julian B

Preventing doors bending in when on a trailer at speed

Post by Julian B »

Turning my thoughts on going to the Dutch Treffen in a couple of days, I remembered that on previous times that I have towed my Haf at high speed (in Haflinger terms!) the tops of the rear of the front doors have a tendency to be pushed in by the wind. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so have they done anything about it?

Not sure if it does any lasting damage, but it just doesn't "look right". Perhaps a wooden bar wedged between the two doors within the cabin would be a solution?

Yes, I know that another solution might be to drive it instead of towing it ... :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Re: Preventing doors bending in when on a trailer at speed

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have never had this problem but you have a tow vehicle with a bit more zoom zoom than I do.

Hmmm maybe a little less on the loud pedal might fix it.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

garrycol wrote:Hmmm maybe a little less on the load pedal might fix it.
:oops: :D

I tend to tow at "only" ~65mph / 105 kph***, which is not a lot more than the legal limit of 60mph ...

***(perhaps <70mph max)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

A quick solution for you. Go buy some plastic water 22mm pipe (enough to do the width of the Haf). Buy a couple of "T" joints to fit.

Put one "T" joint on end of tube, cut the bottom 2/3 thirds of the "T" so in will clip over the top of the Haflingers door. Measure and cut the tube so you can do the same at the other end.

Now all you have to do is clip the "T" over on door and if you cut just enough off the the other side, you can shut the door with enough of an over the top of the tube bit for it to actually hold in place.

Now I bet you are going to ask "how do I hold the free end up whilst I shut the last door?" - easy, tie a piece of string to the tube and hold it up over the door as you shut it!

When you have got it working to your satisfaction, you can glue the "T" pieces on.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks John; now I think of it I do have an adjustable bar that it designed to prevent my small livestock trailer's tilt from drooping in too much, and that should work just as your solution suggests - will try it tomorrow!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

My trailer tilt bar works a treat; fitting it just now reminds me that it is the front top corners of the front doors that tend to be pressed in by the wind, so I'll fit the bar towards the front.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The question is why are your doors bending? They are strong enough to stay in position so there must be an issue with your frames - cracked welds?

On the subject of doors, when the doors are closed and not flapping in the breeze at 130kph, is the door latch supposed to be on the first position in the striker
P5240010.JPG
or in the second position
P5240009.JPG
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

The frames are sound - but the tops _might_ be slightly bent in at the top I'd accept. The doors don't flap about at all (I take it the 130kph was in jest :D :D :D ), but from the tow car's wing mirrors it just looks like the doors are being bent in. Not by much, but perhaps 2cm at the front? It just doesn't "look right".

I'll try the metal bar this weekend and see if it makes any difference.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK