My Hafy project is complete

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
jimf6

My Hafy project is complete

Post by jimf6 »

Hello all....Here is my 1972 Haflinger after some extensive work. Everything mechanically that needed to be replaced to get her running perfectly was done, body work and fresh paint. Special thanks to Dale over at Haflinger Technik in Scotland, as he supplied me with all the parts and built me a brand new factory spec windshield.

Check her out and all feedback (positive and constructive) is appreciated. Only will help me make her better or perhaps point out something I missed.
Attachments
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg
pureredcordial

Re: My Hafy project is complete

Post by pureredcordial »

That looks really tidy!

Perhaps you might want to adjust the position of your windscreen wipers at rest. If you rotate one of the little arms on the inside so it is upside down(?) compared to the other side then at rest you have both wipers in the down position. When you turn the wipers on then both wipers swing to the centre at the same time and back to rest together. At least I set mine that way.

cheers
Matt

<edit : Here's how mine are set>

Imagewipers by pureredcordial, on Flickr
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

Hi pureredcordial, ink you very much for that tip. This is exactly the advice/ideas I'm looking for!! :D :D
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Have you got the brakes sorted out? They are tricky to get balanced so it doesn't pull to one side even when you lock up the rear wheels!

If you have done a rebuild job on the engine, don't forget to change both the oil and the oil filter, preferable after you have added some "oil flush" or used some "flushing oil" to try and get rid of any metal fillings that might be circulating.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

Hi heinkeljb,
We meet again on this website now :-)..

The brakes all needed new cylinders and the master cylinder was replaced as well. They work great now. The engine didn't need a rebuild, but you are right about the metal filings....They were in the oil when I got the vehicle. The oil and filter was replaced. I was thinking about adding some Seafoam before I replace this batch of oil, but not sure if its necessary....I don't think it would do any harm but then again ya never know..??
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey jimf6,
"Well done that man". It looks to be a great result and a credit to you. I really like the colour, especially in the full gloss. I am used to that colour in the flat finish from some years in the Army but I much prefer the gloss.
I keep saying that I am about half way through the total rebuild of my Haffie, but the more progress I make on it the more I need to do and I have been about half way done for about a year now. Seeing an end result like yours spurs me on though. Well done. Regards Rick.
jhon

Post by jhon »

Very nice!

Is that a twin pipe exhaust on it? If it is more details please..

Was the windshield horrendously expensive?

I like the chairs in the back - the wood is a nice touch.

By the way, when you have a Haflinger I don't think it is ever 'complete' - there's always something to do! ;)
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

Thanks about the rear seats, I like they way they look and are functional. :-)

Do the seats come with a free set of Haemorrhoid inflatable rings for offroad work? :o
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Cracking job, Jimf6 - a really nice Haf. One minor thing ... a bit like the wipers, the rear engine bay lever is normally vertical when closed and secured. Maybe you could rotate the handle by 90 degrees?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

jimf6 wrote:Thanks about the rear seats, I like they way they look and are functional.

Do the seats come with a free set of Haemorrhoid inflatable rings for offroad work? :o

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

garrycol wrote:
jimf6 wrote:Thanks about the rear seats, I like they way they look and are functional.

Garry
LOL! :D
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

Julian B wrote:Cracking job, Jimf6 - a really nice Haf. One minor thing ... a bit like the wipers, the rear engine bay lever is normally vertical when closed and secured. Maybe you could rotate the handle by 90 degrees?

Thank for the tip, it done as well!
walderse

Post by walderse »

Very nice looing truck.
Can you share more information about your source for your FRONT seats? Some additional photos would be helpful. I am also very interested in your exhaust system. Photos please!

You have done very well!

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

walderse wrote:Very nice looing truck.
Can you share more information about your source for your FRONT seats? Some additional photos would be helpful. I am also very interested in your exhaust system. Photos please!

You have done very well!

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Hi, The front seats were on the vehicle when i purchased it. They are in excellent condition so I didn't have to do anything to them. I don't know if they are the originals, do they look like they would be? Adding more photos now. The exhaust is just 2 pipes coming right from the bottom of the engine and bolts right into the the manifold. Photo attached.
Attachments
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg
IMG_0832.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you have two straight through exhaust pipes exiting straight back from the cylinder head ports, then you definitely don't have an original exhaust system!

You will need to look in the parts book to see what pipes and silencer you need. There are two sorts, one which works with two heat exchanger boxes to provide hot air heating to the cad and the other which has a single vertical silencer.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

heinkeljb wrote:If you have two straight through exhaust pipes exiting straight back from the cylinder head ports, then you definitely don't have an original exhaust system!

You will need to look in the parts book to see what pipes and silencer you need. There are two sorts, one which works with two heat exchanger boxes to provide hot air heating to the cad and the other which has a single vertical silencer.

John

Hi John, yes I know the exhaust wasn't original. :D

I was wondering about my seats if they might be..??
walderse

Post by walderse »

Your front seats are definitely are NOT original...although they do appear a very nice upgrade.
If anyone can identify these replacement seats, I would be very interested in learning their true identity/origin.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

For some reason, I think I've seen those seats in agricultural catalogs.

Might even have been in the Northern Tool catalogs.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
jimf6

Post by jimf6 »

walderse wrote:Your front seats are definitely are NOT original...although they do appear a very nice upgrade.
If anyone can identify these replacement seats, I would be very interested in learning their true identity/origin.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm

OK, thanks Jim....If I track it down I'll let you know. They are a good fit...
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

Forklift seats?