brake adjusting cam, need to remove

peter_m

brake adjusting cam, need to remove

Post by peter_m »

Hi, I have just snapped the peg off the brake adjusting cam due to heavy handedness. I need to get the cam out and replace it. Fortunately I have some early cams without the 19mm nut welded on. So I need to get out one of each type of cam to swap over. I can't see how to get them off and the manual is not a lot of help. Can anyone advise please?
heinkeljb

Re: brake adjusting cam, need to remove

Post by heinkeljb »

What luck!

I have just had a similar problem with Lurch and needed to remove one of the brake cam adjusters. They are a typical Haflinger designer "just because we can" solution.

The cam has a machined lip on the side which has the offset peg on it, so you can not just punch it through from that side. That means you have to do so from the side which has the 19mm nut welded to it on the later versions or the side which has the 8mm square adjuster nut.
The shaft has had 4 spot welds put on the 4 sides of the shaft which stops it falling out. The four spot welds are then machined to chop off 2/3 of the welds to give you the 4 sided nut.
So in order to take the adjuster out, you have to use a hacksaw or an angle grinder with a thin cutting disc to cut down each side of the square nut shape until you get to the surface of the top washer. Once you have done that, you can clean up with a file and take off the two washers - one is a wavy washer which takes up the play which might exist when they put the spot welds on.
Once you have got the washers off, you have drift the adjuster out in the direction of the offset peg (which isn't there any more).

There are new replacements adjusters which you can buy which start out like the early version and come with a nut which you are then supposed to weld on!

Stupid idea in my book, would have been far better to have just drilled a hole through the nut and the shaft in the appropriate place and put a roll pin through to keep the nut in place. You could then just punch the roll pin out and undo the nut and take out the adjuster to lubricate the shaft which will never have been lubricated from manufacturer because you can't get at it, you just have to hope that some oil gets to the right places if you squirt oil on the outside of the adjuster.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Peter,

I have moved your post to a more appropriate topic area as your original post was under the section for Suppliers to advertise their wares.

Regards,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
peter_m

Post by peter_m »

Thanks for moving my post John, it was my first post and I haven't got to the advanced player bit about putting it in the right thread, which I realised almost as soon as I had posted it.

Very grateful to you for the howto on getting this dratted adjuster out. I think your idea of a roll pin is great, I will try and incorporate that when I eventually manage to change the adjusters over. It looks as though the pin had a casting fault in, a slight bubble in the base of the pin.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum - looks as if John has given you lots of good information. I haven't had issues with these as yet but I have noticed the weird arrangement - surely a better arrangement is possible but I guess it is easier to just replace like with like.

Can you go go into User Control Panel and then into profile and put your location (including country) as this is an international forum and we like to know where people are - also helps with local suppliers and maybe help.

Cheers and welcome.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
peter_m

Post by peter_m »

Canberra Eh, Do you know David Yarra in Captain's Flat? He has a Haf
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Now all you need to do is put in your town or county - lol - but only if you are comfortable with that.

Yes I am in Canberra and yes I know Captain's Flat - is across the border about 80km away. Sorry I do not know David and he is not listed in the Haflinger Club of Aust website (there is a website but not a club) http://www.haflingerclub.com.au/Registry so if you are in contact with him please get him to put up an entry. Likewise get him to join the forum here.

There are two confirmed owners in Canberra (both on this forum pureredcordial and myself) - there is another one listed on the club website and I believe there is another unknown owner.

As I said - welcome and we look forward to hearing your Haflinder adventures. For now though why not post up some pics and a bit of a narrative about you and you Haf in the Show and Tell section.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)