Strange Gearbox / Diff issue.

heinkeljb

Strange Gearbox / Diff issue.

Post by heinkeljb »

I haven't used Lurch for a couple of weeks, bearing in mind the Haflinger lives outside, this probably doesn't help.

Had a scare first thing this morning when it wouldn't go backwards. Just locked and stalled. Seemed able to go forwards, just didn't want to go backwards!
Put the rear wheels in the air and ran it Forward in 1st gear (low speed on tick over) with the rear diff lock in. Left it hoping it was just cold oil or something. Every time you put it in reverse, it just locked up and stalled.
So I gave up and put the wheels back on the ground, drove it forward about 6 ~ 12 inches, something back there went clunk. So I thought one more time, I'll try reverse - It worked!
Went off to the Trials and it worked perfectly the whole day, selecting reverse when required. Only thing wrong now is, I have lost the 3 little buttons that go in the Diff lock levers rubber bushes in the cabine. Must have pulled the rear diff lock lever up when the cover wasn't on correctly.

If it had been a tooth broken off reverse gear or any gear for that matter, surely it would have made a "ticking / clicking" noise as you drove along? Nothing like that at any point once it was working.

Any ideas, comments?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Strange Gearbox / Diff issue.

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not sure on this one John - gut feeling is it was not gearbox but is a gut feeling only. My gut feeling is a diff lock issue where the diff is locked and under load where drive is only in the the unloaded direction but it then soons unloads and you have drive in both directions - the bang does sound like a diff lock unloading when under big load.

When you lifted the back off the ground did you test each wheel movement individually? Damaged hub gears can cause the problem you described (happened to me). With it is on the ground, did you try putting the gearbox into neutral and testing the diff movement etc - opposite rotation of wheels diff OK - wheels turning the same way then diff locked.

Where you are now - other than checking diff lock operation (mine is exceptionally sensitive to adjustment and can bang when not right) there is really nothing you can do without pulling things apart. I worked under heavy going on your trial (where are the Pics????) so seems OK now. So I would leave it for now and try to do a bit of local driving to see if the issue comes back - Murphy's Law says that it it does come back it will be at a time that is not convenient.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but it is hard to diagnose.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

HI Gary,

AS you say, difficult to diagnose.

With the wheels in the air, no Difflock, I could turn the wheels in a forward direction but it wouldn't go backwards. Then having the engine running on tick over and in 2nd gear (This is a 5 speed box), one wheel, near side would turn but offside did not. Put the rear Difflock in, both wheels would turn. take the Difflock off, and you were back to one wheel turning.
Every time you put it in reverse - it would start to go backwards but then lock up and stall - Obviously I did not give it lots of rev's so hopefully did not apply too much power to the gearbox / Diff.
The fact it worked correctly for the rest of the day suggests that what ever was wrong has either popped back in to place, or broken off.
Don't think anything has broken as no horrible noise from that end either during the drive there or through out the day or the drive home.

Of course, now the evenings are dark by the time I get home from work, so the most I will be able to do it take it for a short drive every day until the weekend when I can get to look at things in daylight.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: one wheel, near side would turn but offside did not.
Wasn't this the same issue you had a couple of months back with all your issues with the gearbox and your new gearbox etc.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Similar, last time the diff locked one side and wouldn’t turn the wheel at all. This time it went forwards but not backwards.
Another John pointed out that maybe brake shoe(s) have delaminated - I thought of that one as well on the way home from work this evening, so will look at them at the weekend.

I really don’t want to have pull the diff / gearbox apart again if I don’ t have to. It’s a lot of work, particularly if you have to do it outside!
John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I really don’t want to have pull the diff / gearbox apart again if I don’ t have to. It’s a lot of work, particularly if you have to do it outside!
John
I agree - leave it and see what happens - the risk is that the problem will come back when it is most inconvenient.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

That's a strange one. I kind of agree with the brake shoe idea, nothing else really makes sense. Stalling out only in reverse...either that or maybe one of the springs holding a shoe has broken, allowing the shoe to cant inside the drum?

One thing I've had to do lately, somewhat related, is sometimes whack the top of my shifter to get it to drop down when I need to put it in reverse. Old, worn parts. Everything's lubed, but sometimes it still binds.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch