What did you do with your Haflinger today?

heinkeljb

Re: What did you do with your Haflinger today?

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll post a links to some of the other videos that were taken during the trials. Mostly of the two Haf's (!) They appear to "tickle" bystanders fancy. Other Haf was Paul Nibblet's.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian B wrote:PS Why do folks take videos in portrait mode? Grrrr. :D
When I do it landscape it usually comes out upside down :(

John - looks like you had a great time.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That was one of the few sections I managed to clear, It is all too easy to stall / stop / hit a gate or otherwise not manage to go from gate 1 to gate 10 without stopping or hitting the gates. I don't do it with the intention of winning as that would be unlikely! It provides a way of driving off road where you won't get shouted at!
It's also great fun - you don't have to do any difficult bits if you don't think you are up to it. Generally the first five gates are quite easy for a standard off road vehicle. They get more difficult as you get nearer gate 1. Even then as I "compete" in the standard class, it is designed to be non damaging to the point you can drive to the event, take part and then drive home!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So took part in another Trials today, Great fun even though I managed to hit a tree and bend the front nearside bumper / platform edge / front cowl. I take some pictures tomorrow - it's not too bad, but might take a fair bit of "fixing" to put right. A couple of pictures of Lurch in action taken by Andrea Irvine, "Living 4 Klix Photography".
Lurch in action on one of the sections.jpg
She actually took a lot more pictures - some 800 odd during the day and a fair number were of Lurch. They are on FB if yor interested.
Lurch shaking a leg.jpg
And one more:
Lurch needing a help getting up a hill.jpg
Slope was steeper than the picture and a soft sandstone surface which was a bit damp so no grip, really must get some good off road tyres, Semprit's are all right, but bald Mayolar's are not much cop!

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Looks like you were having great fun! Shame about the damage, but I'm sure it'll buff out :P
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I remembered to take a photo this evening of the damage.
Bent front cowl small.jpg
The headlamp guard did it's job, headlight is intact, but biggest issue is the fold in side of the cowl as the headlamp inner shell will make it difficult to get on the other side of the cowl to tap the dent out.
I think what I will do is weld a bolt to the front bumper section, then using a slide hammer try and "massage" that back out hopefully pulling the crease of the side at the same time. If that doesn't manage it, then I will do the same on the side panel and hopefully bring that panel back out flat (or nearly so)

It was a relatively lost speed impact as I was in 1st (4 mph max), but just goes to show how much energy there is in a moving vehicle!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ouch - that is not in a good spot.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Forgot to update this. I found time to take the headlight and indicator out and then tap most of the damage out. I really must get a proper set of panel beating tools!
fixed corner small.jpg
At some point, probably next year! I will get round to painting it near enough the correct colour. At the moment the days are just too damp along with the short daylight hours.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks OK - not sure what you are complaining about with respect the weather - here is light 5am to 8.00pm, a pleasant 27 degrees C and 20% humidity - beautiful one day - perfect the next 8-)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

After getting the strange Diff / Gearbox issue resolved, even if only temporarily, Lurch and I took part in a 10 gate trial yesterday (19/11/17).
Some photo's from one of the sections taken by someone other than me as you can see I'm driving!
bottom of the hill.jpg
middle of the hill.jpg
not quite the top yet.jpg
And at some other point during the day, Lurch on three wheels.
23659164_2035937783304387_925039897216154405_n.jpg

So yes, Gary, it did take place. :lol:

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Great to see - am envious - but I do think that it is time to let the moths out of your wallet and bought Lurch a new top ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Actually the rear canvas and frame get in the way sometimes. A lot of the site have trees growing on slope and there is tendency to make the section go round a tree, so the rear frame cross members are frequently bent where they have been sliding on a tree!

I am toying with the idea of cutting the height of the uprights to the same level as the cargo divider. If I make the uprights with the correct ends I can always put them back up to full height when needed.

I am going to have to get round to recovering the passenger door as the canvas has just rotted and there is noting solid to sew on to anymore.

John

p.s. I put some video up on FB, I see about linking to it later

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

You could always get a new plastic Greenhouse :D
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yesterday, today and tomorrow, welding up a rear hoop to hold a full top, then I'm going to grab one of my surplus 5 Tonner paulins, cut it up a bit and figure out grommets, tie downs, and make a top for the truck.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Try and remember to take some pictures, always nice to see how someone else tackles a job. Did essentially teh same thing with Lurch using a ex-army A frame canvas tent to make the back cover.
Having the fibreglass top that mimics the short canvas top, meant I had to work out some way of attaching to the fibreglass top - I opted for 2 inch wide velcro. Hook side sewn to the canvas, fluffy side glued to the fibreglass.

Need to rethink the side tie downs, they keep getting scrapped past trees and either being bent or pulled off!

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

Yesterday I stripped out the suspension and put a couple of washers underneath the top and bottom spigots that locate the spring/end-plate assembly in-place. This had the effect of increasing the droop resting position of the swing-axle and effectively increasing the clearance under the vehicle - now almost 10" under the rear skid-plate. I extended the limit straps as well, allowing full travel to the point that the dampers are not quite fully extended - this still allows 4" of droop from resting before the wheel comes off the ground.

Got a trial on tomorrow, the site is notoriously rocky and full of hidden dangers like tree stumps and holes - I'm going to need all of the clearance that I can get!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Try and get some video! Still pictures are good but video, even though it never gives a particularly good impression of how steep it is up /down or how tilted the side slope is more fun to watch!

I have been looking at getting a drone with a camera that can follow you, but most of the trials locations I go to are wooded and I am not sure how well a drone would work in those places if it is just on auto pilot!! So I make do with one of these types of camera
gopro clone.JPG
Can be setup like a dash cam or take still picture as well as standard video. (That one is that price at the moment via Europarts on Black Friday deal).

John

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Jhon - so at that point, is it the dampers that are the travel restriction, or is the restriction inherent in the axle/transmission link? When I made my new cable limit straps to replace the old broken ones, I thought about making them longer, but I figured that the amount of travel that the designer had specified was for good reason, and I didn't want to overly stress some of the system components. If you do run that setup for awhile, I'd be interested in hearing how it fares.

John - no way would I trust any drone on a follow mode to automatically avoid obstacles. I don't care what the sales info says, how many sensors they have, etc. In a situation like yours a drone would have to be manually piloted, ideally with two operators. Gets very pricey, very rapidly. You can still get pretty good video with just a single operator and running something like a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced or Professional.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi CZ - if the damper was removed the axle would drop down a little further, though other stuff starts to get in the way; I've no wish to stress any of drivetrain components, so what I've done can be regarded as a very mild 'lift'.

Because my track is now wider than standard (wider banded wheels and repositioned centres) there is a greater leverage along the swing-axle axis, meaning that it was sitting a little lower than standard. I've returned it to its normal stance, or just slightly higher - when you look at the vehicle from the back the wheels have a bit of positive camber but certainly not excessive (compared to photos of other vehicles I've seen).

Actually, next time you're out at your vehicle would you mind measuring from the (manufacturers) rear skid guard to the floor (with vehicle unladen)? - mine is currently a smidge under 10", it would be useful to have another measurement as a comparison.

John - unlikely to be any photos or video unfortunately - I need to sort out another hosting site following the Photobucket fiasco; I do have a GoPro (somewhere) but haven't downloaded any of the editing software as it is my work computer; I will get my act together soon though!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Currently I post my video to youtube and post a link here. Or transfer it to my free dropbox account and then post a link on here. Seems to work OK at the moment, but I can see a time when I run out of free dropbox space.

John