Lurch during a trial section.

heinkeljb

Lurch during a trial section.

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch sliding all over the place and needing helping hands.
Brick Kiln Farm Oct 2017.jpg
John and Lurch
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Lurch during a trial section.

Post by Julian B »

Looks great fun!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - did you fall over again?
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Luckily not this time! Just waving a wheel in the air, but it certainly felt as if it was much higher off the ground sitting in the driver's seat. Looking at the picture, I think it was actually quite stable as it has three wheels on the ground!

We did have one roll over during the day. A Suzuki Jimny, went up bank, at least 2.5 times it's length. Made the top gate, but when backing down the front end slipped sideways..... Ding in the top of the windshield which broke the laminated glass. Various dents on bonnet and front wings, side panels. He continued for another couple of sections, but had obviously done more damage that was not apparent as he lost 4 wheel drive later on. Unfortunately, no one took any video of it so the most there is are photos of the damage.

There were a couple of sections I wasn't prepared to tackle, one went down into a trench which then curved right before coming back up. Deep enough for the roof level to be below ground level. Designed to be just wide enough for a Landrover, so had ruts that wide. Sticky, soft wet clay. So even though I could have dropped down in to it, unlikely I would have been able to stay straddled on the ruts. That would mean I would "scrape" the side of the Haf all the way along the curve which ever side rut it fell in. If you got stuck, the only way out was for someone to walk down the trench and put a rope on you and pull you out. You couldn't open a door whilst in the trench!
Another had a slippery side slope before dropping down in to a big puddle - I didn't fancy lying side on in that puddle when the Haf fell over!

Other than that, it was a great day out. Much more fun than just going to what are called "Pay and Play" days, where you pay a fee and can then just drive around where you want. Problem with those is that you tend to just drive where you "know" you can get through, so you don't choose routes which might end up with you being stuck unless you have gone with others would will help pull you out, pick up the pieces as required!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Nice pic, glad you had fun.

When I went on the 2017 Calico Mogfest there were a couple of instances that had the same thing happen.

I think when I'm going out and have no co-driver, I'll be putting about 200# of filled sandbags in the passenger foot well.

Do they allow chains in your event?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Use water - you can pour it out if you don't need it and drink it if you need to! It can water plants if you pour it out in the right place, but sand is no use in those circumstances!

No chains - depending on the site and the owners rules, you could have aggressive tractor type tyres, but at other sites less aggressive tyres are only allowed. I can get away with original fitment Haflinger tyres.

John

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Water works, but it's not that dense. I've actually thought that if I go on more solo runs, I might build a form and pour a couple of 80# pieces of concrete that will fit tightly into the foot well. 80#, these days, is about all I want to easily lift without hurting something that'll take years to heal :(.

This whole "getting older" thing stinks, lol.

Still, the competition sounds like fun. We really don't have anything like those events over here, probably due to there being much more room to play in.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sounds like a few Haffie drivers need to loose a few kgs then opposing ballast would not be needed :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

garrycol wrote:Sounds like a few Haffie drivers need to loose a few kgs then opposing ballast would not be needed :lol:

Garry

I resemble that comment :mrgreen:
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You could alway organise something along the lines of a 10 gate trials day. Very simple you use bamboo garden canes and put either a white top or red top with numbers . So a pair of red and white canes with the numbers 1 to 10. You mark out a course starting gate is through the pair of canes with number 10 on them. White top on the left cane, red top on the right cane. You obviously chose a route over a piece of ground that will provide some driving skill Challenge. The tricky bit for the contestants is they have to get from the 10 gate to the 1 gate, without stopping!
You give the contestant the gate if they manage to get a front hub through the line between the gate “posts”.
You can apply any scoring system you like e.g. 1 point for making it through gate 10 without stopping. So 10 points for a cleared section I.e. through gate pair 1.
Make as many sections as you like and get some friends and vehicles together and have some fun!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch at a other trials - view from inside at least shows it's a haflinger, but the depth perception isn't great. The drop at the start is 50 degrees and the dirt hump is probably about 2 1/2 feet high. The gully is about 2 foot deep. The hole that needed the diff locks was deeper than the tyres are tall. The top end of the gully is probably more than 3 foot deep, but the side are now quite worn down so not a problem to go in and out of.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x0icyf7howqt ... 7.mp4?dl=0

Not sure how else to share the video. This at least will stay as long as I have access to my dropbox account and the web site stays up.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks cold and wet and a lot of fun.

Handled it all very well.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Fun video, John. How about putting it on youtube?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I will stick a couple up on Utube as soon as I get a chance, Little bit of editing is needs as I have the camera set to work as a dashcam - turn on with movement - so when the wind blows and the leaves move, it records.... Then you have the problem of it recording in the last half of a timed session and in the beginning of the next...

I'll stick some links up when I have done them.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for putting that up - looks like it is early in the morning - dont mind the cold and wet but I like my lie ins.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Another video from the inside of Lurch doing a trial section.

https://youtu.be/IPxemExer-o

The drop is about 8 to 10 metres and as you can see very steep!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

It looks like the Pork Pie hat is still alive and well in Hants.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Video of Lurch coming down the step drop in the previous video.

https://www.facebook.com/tim.trussler.9 ... 210775201/

Don't know if this will open for anyone, let me know.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Steep and wet - I am not a member of Facebook and I can view it OK
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)