Rear hoop is coming out OK, I think...

Czechsix

Rear hoop is coming out OK, I think...

Post by Czechsix »

Decided I wanted to add a full fabric top to the Swiss 700AP, but I also wanted it to be a but sturdier than stock.

It's not done yet, I'll be adding some swinging sideboards onto it, and capping off the open tubes, but so far it looks like it'll work fine.

If anyone's interested I can throw some build pics up along with some comments regarding the build.

LOL, excuse all the crap in the bed...building is still active :lol:

Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Re: Rear hoop is coming out OK, I think...

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well that looks pretty good - however ;) and it is too late now :(

On my 101 Landrover the rear hoop had been replaced by square tube like you have. I found that the canvas was starting to wear where it goes over the 90 degree bends in the tube - having round tube softens the radius so when the canvas is all strapped down it does have a single hard point to wear on.

However you are where you are now so just be aware of this possible issue and maybe stick some thin rubber to the tube to prevent wear in the canvas. Definitely have wear strips sewn into the top when you get it made.

I have to make up something similar for my Haf as while the truck cab is fine, it would be nice to have a full length top. You putting any removable longitudinal rails between the two heavy duty hoops to support the canvas when it is on? Again, experience with my 101 would indicate it would be helpful.

Looks great

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Or wrap a length of domestic plumbing pipe foam insulation over the bar? Very cheap and easy to do.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

Looks good! My original full top wore holes over rounds tubes hoops anyway. So had the half top I have now. So either way an extra canvas wear strip sound like a good idea.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yah, good ideas folks.

The paulin will be made from a heavy vinyl reinforced one I have left over from my old M35A2 6x6, sold it a bit ago. It's designed, and heavy enough, that it goes over sharp edges with very little wear, and there's a decent radius on that square tube even though it doesn't look like it.

Depending on other jobs, I might get back on it tomorrow. There will be one bar on each side at the top corner, attaching the front bar to the new rear bar. I'll be putting three longitudinal strips between them to also support the top, one at the apex, and then one between the apex and side bars.

I'm also planning on building a completely separate front support for the top that will go tightly around the windshield, with a gasket between them. I'm doing this to enable dropping the windshield forward while still having a full top. Any kind of breeze helps in the desert, plus the dust usually coats everything anyway and after a bit your windshield is coated.

Then it'll be on to fabbing some doors up.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

When you finish that you can knock me up a set and send them over :D
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

LOL, garry, how about I just detail how I hacked it together and you too can enjoy welding flash burns!