carb return spring

ogdenenterprise

carb return spring

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have looked at the parts book at the zenith carb , page 8/15 and it shows a spring (28) which is fitted to a piece of angle (29) at the bottom can anyone tell me how and where the piece of angle attaches. mine is missing the spring and the angle piece. I presume this helps the throttle to return to its stop/tickover position.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

Re: carb return spring

I think I have found the answer to my own question, I eventually found a photo on google.

Dave
Attachments
spring & bracket.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll take another photo for you tomorrow at a slightly better angle if I can, if that's of any help. Been a bit wet out there so I haven't really wanted to go out and start delving, but will do so if it would make your rebuild easier! :)

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Dave when you first posted this up I had a look at my car - in fact I looked at the other side of the carb where the cable connects to the butterfly and my return spring connected to a home made bracket that was held in place by one of the bell housing nuts. Certainly not what you were after so I did not respond.

Seeing the pic you put up - I d not have that spring - that is the accelerator pump controlled by the accelerator movement and I would not have thought it would need a spring but as displayed I might need to put one on. Likewise I have looked at the pics I have, and on those engines there are no springs there.

Also we must be using different parts manuals as I do not have a page 8-15 and my carb details are on 1-32 and it does not show that spring and angle bracket. Confusing :?
Carb.jpg

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Thank you for the offer John, that would be appreciated.

Garry, I got the parts numbers from Jims / Goatwerks internet pages. I have just checked my own 1970 parts book and it is 8/15 which shows the throttle linkage from the pedal to the carb.

I have looked at mine and realized I have fitted the pump rod link the wrong way round, its facing inwards to the carb at the top, but its a easy fix to turn it round so the spring hooks over the split pin like the photo shows . this will also make the spring more in line with the lower bracket.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Herewith a picture which might explain things, if not let me know which bit you want it pointed at!
carb arm spring mount1.jpg
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks to Dave and John - as I indicated I do not have that - mine just has a split pin - I will source a spring and put one on mine. Can you both confirm that you also have the return spring on the lever other side of the carb where the throttle cable connects to the main butterfly lever.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Thanks John, its perfect. I just need to make a angle bracket now.

Garry , The only other spring I have on the carb is for the choke cable return which goes from the body to the cable where it attaches to the choke lever.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I took a quick picture from the other side of the carb, but I really need to take the air filter system off in order to get a shot of the throttle linkage.
The spring shown here is the choke cable return.
carb spring 3.jpg
John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Interesting - I dont have any spring on the choke and I would have thought one is not needed as the choke butterfy is directly controlled by the cable and is held by the position of the "knob". If it had a spring on it, it would go the off position all the time rather than stay where it has been selected.

As indicated I do have a return spring on the accelerator pump but have a big return spring on the other side of the carb where the throttle linkage joins the carb.
P1110038.JPG
P1110041.JPG
This is the other side of the carb on the accelerator pump - which hole do you all have the connecting rod in?? No spring - see the choke arrangement at the back -is that the same as everyone else? There is no spring back there either.
P1110037.JPG
Clearly my arrangement is different to everyone else's - not sure why but I have had my Haflinger for over 5 years now and never noticed it. I guess it comes from isolation from other Haflingers - as I have said before, in my time of ownership I have never seen another Haflinger on the road and infact have only ever sighted one in the flesh once and that was Vampyr's in his drive and he has since sold it and moved out of Hafs altogether.

Thanks for the thread Dave, for me it had highlighted a couple more differences that I need to look at.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry
My pump rod is in the end hole, I was told to put it in this position by Tony Hrleja . I was having problems with the carb so I sent it away to be rebuilt at a local carb repair shop. I sent it back a couple of times because it was not set up right. I eventually found out they were testing it on a six cylinder engine and the pump rod was set in the same position as yours. I contacted Tony in desperation., He told me to remove the rod and lift the top lever and when I just felt resistance this is the length the rod should be set at with the rod in the end position, hope this helps.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,
Looking at your picture of the carb from the pump side, I notice you do not have the Governor rod / butterfly setup in the lower section of the carb block. This might explain why you have no spring there - the bolt hole is empty of a bolt to hold the little metal bracket that the spring would attach to. Probably something that was done when the engine enlargement work was done.

It might be worth putting a spring back in place as it will help move the fuel pump back down to the bottom of the cylinder ready for the next time you stamp on the accelerator pedal.

There is a spring attached to the throttle linkage at the front under the seat section which helps to return the throttle pedal to the up position - I have seen Hafs with "bungee cord" attached to the pedal and the dash to do this task. Given the wear which must happen in all the pivot points, having another spring in the engine compartment to help return the engine to idle would probably be a good idea.

I will have to take the fan shroud off mine to get the same pictures as Gary's above which should go some way to deciding if it is a "standard" thing or just an addition. Hopefully someone else will chime in with what their's has.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I notice you do not have the Governor rod / butterfly setup in the lower section of the carb block. Probably something that was done when the engine enlargement work was done.

It might be worth putting a spring back in place as it will help move the fuel pump back down to the bottom of the cylinder ready for the next time you stamp on the accelerator pedal.

Hi John -the reason I don't have any of the governor stuff on the base is because I don't have a governor at all - I have an electronic one to go on sometime but I really do not find that I need a governor. My setup is completely different to what was on when the engine enlargement work was done - it originally had a modified weber inlet manifold with a solex carb - I changed it back to a standard manifold and a rebuilt NDIX carb - guess I missed a couple of things. What is clear to me now is that the spring on the accelerator pump is the main spring on the carb which because of the accelerator pump linkage pulls the main butterfly closed when off the throttle - the accelerator pump itself does not need a return spring as it is hard linked to the main butterfly and as in mine does, opens and closes in line with the main linkage.

Dave - thanks for that tip on accelerator pump adjustment - no real issues with mine at the moment but when I do my next service I will use Tony's setup procedure.

Cheers to all

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)