New Haflinger to the fray

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Rockhammer

New Haflinger to the fray

Post by Rockhammer »

Hi guys I have just purchased a Haflinger and am wishing to know some details about it ,
Was bought from a old German guy who said he bought it from another German guy who bought it off the snowy mountain scheme .....there is no paper work except an old workshop manual
I found some numbers
5361142 on the gearbox housing
5081070012 on the engine
There is a few thing missing
Windscreen,rear shroud, both under box’s that go between the axles
Also no original carby exhaust but it runs great and only leaks a little oil

So any info and parts would be greatly appreciated or call me please

Ivan
Ivan Biscan
Sydney Australia
Haflinger 5361142/ 5081070012
Peak off-road equipment
Julian B

Re: New Haflinger to the fray

Post by Julian B »

Hi Ivan, welcome to the fold - and I hope you enjoy your Haflinger ownership. Do upload a photo or two when you get the chance.

The gearbox number suggests it is a SWB and dates to approx 1969 - is that what you expected? Not sure about the engine number as they are normally a similar 7 digit number, starting 536xxxx. Does the Haflinger also have a data plate, located somewhere near the driver's seat?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Rockhammer

Post by Rockhammer »

Thanks Julian
Tried to upload some pics but it wouldn’t let me ...I have an iPad is there secret method.
Yes it is a SWB and sounds about right to be that 60’s 70’s region
Also am looking for some wheels and tyres that are appropriate for it,have searched posts and all a little much.
Been looking a long time for a Haflinger and am excited to get it the way I want
Ivan Biscan
Sydney Australia
Peak off-road equipment
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Ivan
Welcome to the forum, we try to help as much as we can . but if you get stuck you can always contact Tony Hrelja in Melbourne, he is a wealth of knowledge (0395476015). He worked on the production line there, you have to be patient as he is sometimes hard to contact due to his wife being ill.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Ivan and welcome to the forum :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Ivan,

Not that long ago, there were various item list on Ebay.co.uk, including a windscreen. - I know it means "expensive" as it will have to have shipping added, but that might be all that is available to you. I don't know how many people in Oz actually have spares they are wiling to part with due to the rarity of the vehicles there.

Under platform boxes are virtually non-existant, but there are rumours that some GRP ones are going to be made. Not heard anything thing definite yet. I would suppose that "original" style copies in steel have been made in Europe, but they are likely to cost more than your arm and leg if the cost of "new" battery boxes is to go by!
Not quite sure what you mean by the "rear shroud" - there is a cover which goes on the platform that covers the top of the engine. There is a rear fold down flap which has a couple of grills in it to provide cooling air intake for the engine. This could also have been a more complicated affair which had cooling grills up near the top edge of the platform. Might be worth a look at Constantine's website (link at the bottom of the front page of this website) - He has pictures and history of Haflingers that were officially imported into Oz. Obviously there have been a few "personal" imports which might have had different specs.

Try uploading pictures using a PC if you have problems with an IPAD, must admit I haven't tried that particular task from an IPAD, but you should be able to using "Tapatalk" ( or how ever is spelt)!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

Just on photo sharing. I upload any photos to a free account at www.flickr.com (which is actually Yahoo) and then click share and select the BBCode option.....which you can cut and paste straight into a post on this forum.

cheers
Matt
Rockhammer

Post by Rockhammer »

ImageUntitled by ivan biscan, on Flickr
ImageHaflinger by ivan biscan, on Flickr
Couldn’t get code but could get URL see if this works
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbm5d7D

Edit by Garrycol
Ivan - I still have some admin control in the forum though I rarely use it as I leave that to John and Julian - however you missed a process in Flickr but your links were ok (I think you needed to hit the share arrow at the bottom right of the Flickr page when you had your pic open and then copy and paste that link straight into your post - well that is what I did) - so I have been able to take your original pic links and share them on the Forum from your Flickr site - the pics are now visible.

For everyone else you can view the relevant album with a few more pics here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbm5d7D
Ivan Biscan
Sydney Australia
Peak off-road equipment
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So Ivan looks like a reasonable base to start with - where did you find it?

What carb is that and do I see inlet manifolds coming in from the back of the engine rather than the top? What other differences are there in that engine bay - engine seems to sit to the rear of the engine bay more than a normal Haf engine. However it may just be the way the pics are.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Where’s the petrol tank? Should be below that hole under your passenger seat! The tow bar is definitely a “home made job” as it is very high off the ground compared with a Standard Haf. This could be because they used a trailer with bigger wheels to cope with the snow. Can you take some pictures from directly above the engine, specifically showing the joint to the gearbox/ difff as like Gary, I think the engine is very far back. There appears to be a very large gap there which does not quite match a Standard Haf, but it could just be camera angle.

Personally, I would try and conserve what is there rather than try and return it to original spec, but that’s just me.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Where’s the petrol tank? Should be below that hole under your passenger seat!
I was wondering that as well.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rockhammer wrote:Hi guys I have just purchased a Haflinger and am wishing to know some details about it ,
Was bought from a old German guy who said he bought it from another German guy who bought it off the snowy mountain scheme
Hi Ivan - I am into series 1 landrovers and follow their history and in particular with the Snowy Mountains Hydro Scheme - I have not heard of Haflingers being used on the Hydro Scheme but I am certainly no expert. If they were used it would have been back in the start in the 50s well before your vehicle along with the first Land Rovers - these later being replaced with Toyota Landcruisers.

However the NSW Department of the Environment did use Haflingers in the Kosciusko National Park for erosion control around the same time as your vehicle - whether this work was related to rectification of Hydro works I do not know.

If you look on page 12 of the attached document it says - relates to the late 60s work up around Mt Kosciusko.
"Access has always been a problem in the mountains, as is evidenced by the variety of "commuter" systems used, from Shank 's Mare to helicopters. The use of pack horses and helicopters in the early years meant limited amounts of equipment and supplies were brbught in. The small but sturdy Haflingers increased efficiency. As larger areas were treated these vehicles literally wore out, and were replaced by larger four-wheel drive vehicles to keep up with the pace of reclamation. "

So there is some additional information to help with determining the history of your vehicle - if you head down Cooma way visit the Snowy Mountains Hydro Scheme museum as they may be able to shed some light on using Haflingers by government authorities in the mountains.

Cheers

Garry
keane-summit-area-works-program.pdf
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rockhammer

Post by Rockhammer »

Hi guys good news
Rang tony and he has a windscreen for me ,
He very interesting to talk to ,lots of knowledge and I am going down to see him as soon as I can organise it.
Now for the questions
I was browsing gum tree looking for army pouches and up came the Haflinger, wasn’t on for an hour rang the bloke up and bought over the phone site unseen
The advertised price for the record was $5000 and he took $4700
The carby and manifold is not original and the fuel tank is on the drivers side where the old foot well was.
The exhaust is rubbish and the motor sits correctly it’s just the pictures and the exhaust which makes it look odd
There are no panels on the rear of the engine so I’m looking to do something with this

So I got good idea what ive got installed for the old girl but it won’t be concourse

I own a 4x4 shop here in Sydney and we import roof top tents and alike
check out my face book

ALUCAB WETHERILL PARK

Lots of interesting stuff on there.

Any advise and help will be most appreciated

Ivan
Ivan Biscan
Sydney Australia
Peak off-road equipment
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Great you are starting to find parts. If the fuel tank is on the drivers side and is original this could indicate that your vehicle may be earlier than the numbers indicate but then the gearbox may have been replaced with a later one at some stage.

Is the gear box a 5 speed, a 4 speed with a krawler gear or a simple 4 speed box?

At this stage you points being made are something just to remember as you go through the process of getting it back on the road.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

garrycol wrote:If the fuel tank is on the drivers side and is original this could indicate that your vehicle may be earlier than the numbers indicate but then the gearbox may have been replaced with a later one at some stage.
The fuel filler flap under the passenger seat looks original, so I would have thought that the original tank (behind the NSF wheel) is just MIA.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes you are correct - missed that - so there should be a tank in there.

Ivan - something else to think about when you decide the specifics of what you intend to do.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)