Reminiscing

Off topic
ogdenenterprise

Reminiscing

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I read Garry's reply to my post about my up coming UK visit, regarding parts for his Haflinger , Land rovers , and Jaguar. Then the brain went into gear thinking about his vehicles that he owned and how I became interested in Haflingers & Land rovers .
I served my apprenticeship as a plumber / gas fitter many moons ago (still doing the same job but in a different country now). The man who I served my time with, owned old Land rovers. He owned a 1957 LR and a 1948,no 52 off the production line, there was 48 pre production then they carried on with the production chassis numbers. I helped him rebuild both vehicles.

He then purchased a Haflinger about 1975, it was a pre owned one but in good condition. We used it to go off road with the Haflinger onto the moors locally where lived. We had loads of fun and occasionally getting stuck.
We ended up with 5 Haflingers in various states of repair, eventually I lost interest in them and they were sold.

I emigrated to Australia in 2006 and sold some of the spares I had on Ebay, the only thing I kept was a parts book and a work shop manual. I never expected or thought I would see a Haflinger again, but here I am full circle with another one .

Dave
Attachments
current Haflinger.JPG
1.jpg
Haflinger 003.jpg
Haflinger 005.jpg
No 52 001.jpg
1957 Landrover 001.jpg
Techmogogy

Re: Reminiscing

Post by Techmogogy »

Great old shots!
Thx
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I worked in Cairns later 1975 to mid 76 - was a lot different then - more remote country town than city back then. I had a normal car but also an unregistered dirt bike that I used to ride all around town no problems at all. The Copperlode Dam (Lake Morris) was not completed then and I used to ride my bike through the area that would become the lake. There was a bush track between Cairns and Mareeba - about 30km inland and you had to keep your eye out and lift your feet up off the footpegs as the Taipan snakes were not afraid to rise up and have a go as you rode past. A neighbour was in the process of rebuilding a Landcruiser and that was the first I considered a 4wd.

A couple of years later I got bogged in the snow during winter up at Mount Hotham and had to hitch hike back home to Sale overnight and drive back up the next day across 4wd tracks in my Lancia Beta Coupe to get my bike. I then decided to but a 4wd and got a 55 series 1 landrover.
1979 - 2.JPG
A few of the local farmers had Haflingers which was my first introduction to them. Saw a few on TV - like in the doco "Call of the Wild" where a Haflinger goes to Cape York and then back down the west coast - now that is wild country.

My next introduction to Haflingers was in the 90s (now living in Canberra - hottest and coolest capital in Aust) - I was looking for a cheap car just to drive to work and back and there was a Haf for sale - might have even been Matt's (Purecordial) Haflinger - but it was winter and the lack of speed and lack of heating made me think twice about that.

In the 2000s I decided to look seriously for Hafs - I saw the sale where Matt got his from but I wanted something sort of ready to go but started to watch ebay etc - saw a lot and missed bidding on some but nothing came up until the one I have now.

It was taken as part payment for a G Wagen so was being turned around pretty quickly in Victoria - supposed was in great running condition and still registered - looked good so as it was 750km away was bought sight unseen - it started OK and ran OK and was able to drive up onto the trailer - so all good so far. I was over working on vehicles so wanted one that was ready to go.

Pick Up Day
2012-10-03_15-38-54_882.jpg
Home and had a good look - not quite as good I thought - rust hidden up, noisy front end and major oil leaks from the front end - after 6 months work - all done and back on the road.

First trip up into the mountains - what could go wrong ;)
P4250034.JPG
P4250051.JPG
The wheel fell off :?

So after two engine failures and rebuilds and a few problems with the hub gears and just under 5 years later - the Haflinger is now reliable enough to use whenever I want - and now more importantly I have confidence in it - it is a great drive and it gets driven 2 or 3 times a week - when fuel consumption get below 20mpg it is telling me it needs a service 8-)

The history of my wins and losses are well documented on the forum so do a search and have a look.
ogdenenterprise wrote:I read Garry's reply to my post about my up coming UK visit, regarding parts for his Haflinger , Land rovers , and Jaguar.

I am sorry to say that the vehicles listed in my signature do live at my house - as well as a boarders Subaru :(

The Haflinger
20160725_123706.jpg
The Car - everyday driver - except when it gets bogged.
15122010001.jpg
The Truck - along with the Haf my favourite vehicle - nice to drive
101 (2).jpg
The projects - well maybe one day - the Station Wagon is exceptionally rare and somewhat valuable
Pickup 007.jpg
SW.jpg
And lastly - the Jag - bought in the UK when I lived there in 1982/3 - needs some body work and paint.
As bought - UK (2).JPG
2013-01-13_14-53-34_871.jpg
So as of now the only cars actually on the road is the RRS and the now ever reliable Haf.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just goes to prove the point I have made time and time again. Lots of people have a "Toy", their pride and joy as far as an old vehicle goes. It gets "rebuilt" and then sits in the garage. They take it out every once in awhile and then complain that they can't drive it any distance as it might break down.
If it got used on a regular basis, you would fix all the things that keep breaking down and thereby make it more reliable.
I know Gary hasn't driven his on a real extended journey yet, but as those take "time" to get places. Not everyone has that sort of time or inclination to spend several hours driving at 30~40 mph.
I know I can jump in Lurch and drive to somewhere like Holland right now, only have to check on things like oil levels and grease points. In fact it won't be long (May 5th~7th) and Lurch will have to drive up to the UK Haflinger and pinzgauer club do and then 3 days later off to the Dutch treffen.
Use the vehicle and fix the niggly little breakdowns and you will gain confidence to use the vehicle more and more.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John is spot on - if you don't use the vehicles you do not find out their strengths and weaknesses - yes the longest trip I have done in one go is about 200km and was into the wilderness with no road - however the lack of long trips has more to do with the registration restrictions - cannot travel more than 40km from home unless on a Motor Club trip and the Haf is too slow for these.

The design faults in my modified engine only showed up with lots of use as did issues with hub gears which failed after 1200km of use - so getting the vehicles out and about highlights suspect areas and checks repairs.

As far as Dave's idea to put up this thread - in my view is a great idea :) - often the forum as about issues and technical aspects with some great distractions from John and others with pics etc out playing and putting up some other reminiscing posts is a great way to provide a bit more diversity into the mix.

So please follow Dave's lead.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Thanks for the compliment Garry.
When I wrote this thread I only thought of my own past and thought I would share it with everyone, what a good idea if everyone shared their past experiences and how they became interested in Haflingers.

Dave
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

My father bought his '72 LWB in 1973 and used it as a toy on his small arable farm on the North Downs in Surrey. (Not exactly mountainous, but some of the land is _very_ steep.)

He installed a second plug 'n play bracket to accept his 1960's car phone equipment and would head off on Sunday mornings hoping to get stuck. If he did, he just called home and I (aged well below 16) would go and rescue him with a tractor. All huge fun. He then went and died in ~1978 and ever since we have kept his Haflinger as a way of remembering him & his quirky ways. My brother and I, and to a lesser extent my sister all LOVE it.

But sharing it with my brother has always been a bit of a struggle hence why I went and bought my own too.

Herewith a couple of old photos; one shows me thrashing the proverbials off it in the early 1980s, and another at my (posh boarding school's) Speech Day in Summer 1977; most folk would turn up to the annual event in Rolls, Bentleys and Jaguars, but he insisted on driving 3 hours each way to bring his beloved Haflinger. And he always got far more compliments than anyone else! 8-)
Attachments
Image 2018-01-28 10-08-40.jpg
FullSizeRender-5.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Now that is a great family story :)

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My interest in Haflingers started back in the ‘80’s. I was driving around in a Heinkeljb “bubble car” and was at a rally in Holland along with around a 100 othe assoeted micro cars. Amongst them was a Haflinger. It doesn’t quite match the accepted cc limit for microcar of 600cc, but it was close enough along its it’s limited top speed, it was an acceptable entrant. I looked at it and thought “ that’s nice, I could do with one of those”!
It took 20 odd years to become an owner of one! Still have the Heinkel, but it needs money and work done on it to make it roadworthy again and all the money is going into the Grandchild and Lurch!!!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

You got a pic of the Heinkeljb “bubble car”??

I always wanted a Messerschmitt tg500 Tiger but I dont think that is going to happen unless someone leaves me a few hundred thousand in a will some time.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I remember nearly buying a BMW Isetta bubble car (early '80s) not far from where John lives (Cross In Hand); not knowing anything about it other than how drop dead gorgeous it was, I asked the vendor how fast it went. In a strong Australian accent he said "I nearly got 30 out of it once". :lol:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

I was looking through a old parts book when this photo fell out onto the floor.
I would think it was taken in the 1980,s and I was around 20 years old and a full head
of hair, Im 65 now, but with a lot less of it now.
I look as though im painting the Haf chassis.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I dont know why it didnt load the photo so I will try again

Dave
Attachments
IMG_3641.PNG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Young, dumb and full of ............. (insert your own description there) :lol:

Yes been there done that - back then I would have been 30kgs lighter and also had the full head of hair that is now missing.

Is that the same Haflinger you have now or an earlier one?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

The photo is from one of the 5 Haflingers we had in the UK.
The first was WTJ363L about 1976, We lived on the top of a hill with a single track road that was 1 in 4 in places.
It was the only vehicle that would climb the hill with snow on it.
The local council provided road salt and we would load the Haf and spread it on the hill, the body eventually rotted away.

The next was the turqoise Haflinger, there was something wrong with the gearbox, but the body was good so I swapped the body
and put it on WTJ, and then did a bodged repair to the old WTJ body and repaired the gearbox. I cant remember why
but I re registerd it to SCX618G.

The dark green one was a general run around and was great for loading bales of hay during hay time.
The orange one was a Lwb, I never managed to get it running and the body eventually rusted away.
The last one was a scrapper that I used for spare parts.
How I wish I could go back in time and rescue the old Hafs.

Dave
Attachments
WTJ
WTJ
WTJ rusted body
WTJ rusted body
WTJ re registered as SCX618G
WTJ re registered as SCX618G
Me and my son in the runaround
Me and my son in the runaround
Lwb
Lwb
Scrapper
Scrapper
ogdenenterprise

I forgot to add the photo of the Turquoise Haf.

Dave
Attachments
Tod (4).jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Great pics - thanks for sharing - brings a bit of soul to the forum.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)