It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 am 

Ho John = I see that your propensity for trying to tip over has not changed :D It is great to see you out having a go. Unfortunately my local 4wd club is more interested in long distance cruising and having lattes rather than local trials stuff.

So the Haffie in the second clip is fitted with a VW engine - any other mods as I would not have thought in that type of work the bigger engine would not have been a lot of use. Is the owner on the forum?

Enjoyed both clips - thanks

Garry

Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:23 am 

heinkeljb wrote:
So another Trails day happened and I took Lurch along. More interesting than other days - I am hoping for some more video taken by others to appear on social media sites as it was one of the highlights of the day (obviously)!

https://www.facebook.com/emma.cornwell. ... 825802818/

Unfortunately, I managed to hit the red 7 cane (going up the second slope) - so going the rest of the section was only to prove it was possible. Didn't like the side slope coming down that bit of hill which is why I was going faster than I might otherwise have done this section. Hoping to use centrifugal force to hold Lurch against the ground!

Recovered using a strap connected to a, I think a Jeep, after being put more upright by half a dozen people all trying to prevent it falling over further.

Had another scare earlier going over and down a steep slope where I had a couple of lads hanging off the back to stop Lurch from going ass of tit! Hoping there is some video of that.

John

Was also shown this:- https://www.facebook.com/geachy777/vide ... 458048113/
VW1.6 engine

That looked like fun. You almost qualified for half a cow bell, but not quite.

Maybe next time. :lol:

Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am 

One of the people who comes to the trials, saw the VW engined Haflinger clip on facebook and tagged me. SO other than seeing the clip and a post to confirm what I thought I saw as a VW engine. I know nothing about it.
I very much doubt the owner(s) are members of this forum.

As far as Lurch and my escapade, it was totally unintentional - there were the standard two tyre ruts, one side being deeper than the other and when climbing out, it obviously found a deeper part and followed that.

Right at the beginning there is the organiser following me with a camera, so I am trying to get him to post the clip from that angle.

John

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:57 pm 

Glad you and the Haf are OK John! Great to see it in action, I must try and get some video clips when I'm out and about.

I've done the same myself, it's not a nice feeling when it starts to go!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:19 pm 

Another bit of video. It actually looked a lot steeper when you are on foot at the top of the drop off and it certainly felt a lot steeper than the video appears to make it.

Different section and I "bottled" it near the end. The tree near where everyone is standing is where I was supposed to turn right and go back down the hill, round a tree at he bottom and come back up again a bit further along the sandstone ridge. The turn wants to make the vehicle tip down towards the tree, but obviously you are now beyond the tree, so even more of a tipping and rolling down the slope type situation....
Waiting my turn:-

Attachment:
Haf in the background.jpg
Haf in the background.jpg [ 97.53 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

https://youtu.be/3Eta5onqTAg

John
(and Lurch who has to put up with all of this)!!

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:29 am 

The LWB certainly handle those downhill drop offs better than the SWB - especially with the tubbies on the back. That last bit is definitely tip over territory particularly if the rear diff lock is in.

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am 

At last, following on from the Photobucket fiasco I have opened up another photo account and can store and post photos on-line; this means of course that I can start to restore some of the historical photos in this thread and more importantly post some new ones!

This was the first trial of the year yesterday - sorry about the quality, I didn't realise that my crappy cell phone had deteriorated so much.

My son Ryan joined me in the driving, his Range Rover is still off-road (though not in a good way) with on-going body rot repairs. I was a little anxious how he would take to it, not knowing it's quirks and limits on side-slopes etc, after all I didn't want my baby damaged (the Haf, not so much him - ;) ). He did fine, and I was impressed with his mechanical sympathy and overall approach - I actually sat in with him for the first few sections and assisted him with putting the diff-locks in and out (though the fact that I beat him overall on the day, he suspects that I was disengaging them at the 'wrong' time ;) ).

Some of the other vehicles..

My brother-in-law's G-Wagen bogged (not unusual)

A first time entrant in his 1964 Austin Gypsy (unusual and interesting, but actually not very good off-road. The driver said he had a great time tho' and that he'll be back. Love the front bumper - flotation aid maybe?. :D ).

There was a lot of deep standing water (up over the wheels) and I was a bit uncertain how the Haf would perform; happy to say that it did fine and apart from a couple of splutters ran faultlessly all day.

Nice to see that it stayed mostly dry and that the days are starting to 'stretch' a bit now - more (maybe) next month, possibly even a video.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 am 

As usual - great pics and looks like a lot of fun - as usual.

You should get a Go Pro in a waterproof case and set it up in the engine bay and record just how much water goes in - to me that is the real Achilles heal for the Haf - though I have been in water over 2' deep and it still ran OK.

That Austin Gipsy is a pretty rare vehicle - I have never seen one and wouldn't mind the earlier Champ.

Thanks

garry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am 

Thanks Garry - yes, I agree, I don't like taking the Haf in to deep(ish) water and mud. It's not so much the effect it may have on the distributor/spark, more the wear and tear when it gets in to components like the dynastarter, or past hub-seals, etc.

It certainly got well distributed around the engine compartment, the (first) air-filter was pretty wet and there was muddy spray and debris all around the top of the engine and carb - happy to say that it doesn't seem to have had any ill-effects, though time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am 

Yes I agree with you about the mud and dirty water - I had to drive through this 18 months ago - I took the left track and you can see my Haf on the other side after I went through it. It was about two feet deep, with a couple of deeper holes - ice covered in places before I started and very very dirty.

Attachment:
20160725_144138.jpg
20160725_144138.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]

After this the suspension made weird noises for a couple of months - the front right brake drum still squeaks loudly even though it has been cleaned, drums and shoes roughened. Oils were all Ok but in the engine bay there was dried mud from the dirty water all over the engine and engine bay and mud in as far as the paper air filter - thankfully not on the engine side. The engine continued to run great though.

So I agree mud and water are to be avoided yet some people search it out.

Cheers

Garry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6