Is this too far for a Haflinger in 2 wweks

AustHaflinger

Is this too far for a Haflinger in 2 wweks

Post by AustHaflinger »

My 4wd Club offers many trips during the year but unless something local the Haflinger is just too slow to participate.

However every two years they offer a long trip to the outback arid areas of the State of New South Wales with sometimes diversions into other States - these are termed Outback Heritage Drives and have the aim of bringing out older 4wds and a means of providing economic benefit to outback communities and to make donations to worthwhile outback charities. In the past we have had vehicles as early as WW2 Jeeps and a 48 Landrover, other 50s and 60s Landrovers but unfortunately most participants are modern vehicles.

The next 13+day trip is programmed in our winter in Jun this year and from start to finish 1600km but from my house to the start is 800km and from the finish about 700km so all up the trip is about 3100km with total travel time of about 15 days.

I normally take my Landrover 101 but it is not on the road at the moment so that leaves either the Range Rover Sport which will eat it up or the Haflinger :o . Now on this trip each day is about 200km in length and you dont drive in convoy and just trundle along at you own pace - with check out and check in required so no one is missed. Outback Australia is basically flat and while there will be some bitumen roads most will be gravel, dirt or gibber so while I could cruise at 70kph this means extended driving at 4000rpm so I would like to stay closer to 3000rpm so cruise speed will be about 55 which will be good. Also I will have to do a major service about half way which will be doable as a couple of the stops are for a couple of days.

So this is the map = https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/West ... 367989!3e0
NSW Map.jpg

I live at Canberra - the red pointer at the bottom right corner - the actual start of the event is Rose Isle Station near the top right. I considered trailering the haflinger up to the start but the end is in a different location - though I could leave the RRS and trailer at a town (Dubbo - junction east of Cobar) that I have to travel through going up and back.

From Rose Isle Station we work our way down the Darling River over a few days to Bindara Station, then over to Silverton (where Mad Max and Priscilla Queen of the Desert were filmed), up to Tibooburra then back to White Cliffs (opal mining area) then to Cobar where the even ends - than back to Canberra.

Noting that Australia is about the same size as continental Europe and about the same size the USA less Alaska, then I have put the trip on a map of Europe of the same scale as above - I have put the trip on as if leaving from London - so gives an appreciation of the distances involved.
Europe Map.jpg
So from Canberra to the event start at Rose Isle Station is the same as London to Dresden in Germany.
Rose Isle Station to Bindara Station is the same as driving from Dresden to Verona in Italy.
Bindara Station to Silverton is the same as going from Verona to Kanfanar in Coatia.
Silverton to Tibooburra (the hottest place in NSW) is the same as going from Kanfanar to Trnava in Slovakia
From Trnava we would travel to Salzburg with a stop at Graz (the equivalent of White Cliffs)
And from Salzburg we would head up to Fulda in Germany - which would be the equivalent of Cobar in Australia and the end of the actual event - and from there a two day trip back to Canberra and to Landon.

So what do you think - is the trip too far for a Haflinger covering 3100km in say 17 days all up? What about if it was trailered to a place about 550km from home so I would reduce to overall Haflinger trip to about 1900km in 13 days.

Interested in your thoughts.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Is this too far for a Haflinger in 2 wweks

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

Go for it! Even if the Haflinger breaks down, The organisation appears to be capable of sending someone back to fetch you. If it's terminal, then presumably you can either continue to use the events recovery system or arrange recovery through an organisation like the RAC (Do you have them in Oz?).

Just from your point of view, trailer it as far as you can to a point which would make sense both for the start and the finish. Arrange secure parking for you tow vehicle and trailer.

See if you can find someone else in the club who has an old vehicle and who would be travelling at a similar speed - two old, slow vehicles will give you moral support if nothing else.

There are several stories of people driving Haflingers long distances. One from Capetown to Europe, across America, into the Andes, Round Europe.

I think the key will be not to push the Haflinger near it's top end for hours at a time, but to take it easy and yes that means even longer drive hours, but you see more and it will get there!

BIGGEST driving tip!!! Go an buy a memory foam seat squab designed for a wheel chair - Your backside will love you for it!

Obviously, a comprehensive tool kit. If you are running tubeless tyres, a couple of spares, you want at least 2 spare rims and tubes as they can go in tubeless tyres. Other spares will be electrical items. Electrical cable, bulbs, Dyanstart if you have one. Brushes if you haven't. Regulator - you run electronic ignition don't you? How likely is that to play up? Can you swap it back to points easily? If so take the kit to do so. Enough Oil(s) to be able to fill every thing a couple of times, I don't know how easy it is to get such stuff out in the middle of nowhere. Do the Outback town stock the sort of oil a Haflinger takes?
Get your self a Battery starter pack if you haven't got one. Jump leads. Oh, and a 12 volt fan!
Mechanical spares are more difficult to predict. You will have a better idea of what might be suspect on your Haflinger. A couple of brake cylinders maybe? Flexible hoses? Some flexible steel cable that you could use to repair the limit straps / tie things on with.

I am sure I will think of other things you can fill the back of your Haf with, in which case I will add on this post.

John

P.S. You'll kick yourself if you don't at least try this trip in the Haf.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Much as I love All Things Haflinger, I fear that after having driven 3,100km in one over such a short period I may never want to set my eyes (or bum) on one again :shock:

But the trip itself sounds wonderful 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Ok, so it slightly differently, take the RR and the Haf on a trailer. Get someone to alternate with you on the driving the Haf and the RR. Do the trip with boyth vehicles.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

What John Says!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Yes or at least trailer the Hafi with the RR.
Then if something bad does happen at least you have the RR at "base camp"
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for all the comments - will be a sole drive - no other drivers - I might invest in another drivers seat just for the trip.

I need to investigate options for storing (safely) the car as the possible areas are sparsely populated and normally don't have storage facilities - but I have some time to find something.

Unless it is something major, breakdowns should not be an issue in the short term as the Club's car trailer is normally taken along to help with breakdowns. I had to use it on my first trip back in 2010 when the ignition played up on my 101 and it was quicker to take it to the next camp and fix it there.
01062010004.jpg
I will have the ususal spares and oils so should be OK and as I said it is not a race so cruising along at about 55-60 kph should Ok - dust clogging the airfilter will be an issue so I might get the plumbing in to connect the front cyclone filter so hopefully sucking in dust free air.

On the parts side - I dont have another dyna starter as that is the one thing I have never had an issue with. I do have a set of 120w solar panels and a spare battery so if the dyna starter plays up a push start (crank start?) might be the go and run with the solar panels recharging the batteries - there will be more than enough power to run the car during the day.

Fuel may also be an issue - normally fuel is organised at each stop though once before it was cocked up. I have two nice square 25l fuel cans that fit in the rear footwells nicely so that should give me a range of 550km which should be good enough - I have trouble then a few other people will as well.

So I guess the first thing to do is work out a safe storage arrangement for the car an trailer at a suitable spot near the start and end of the event.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi Garry, it sounds like an epic trip! With enough preparation I'm sure that the vehicle will make it, what about yourself? - if you feel physically and psychologically prepared as well, and feel that it is something that you would enjoy then go for it.

It'll probably be hot, dusty, uncomfortable, frustrating and boring some times, :shock: at others - but what a sense of achievement at the end of it!

Sometimes... a man just has to get out there and Adventure. ;)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes - but it is really doing it in a Haflinger that will be the adventure - I have been to all the places before so I know the whole area is basically flat so no hills for a Haflinger to climb- my hi speed hubs and 14" wheels means I can scoot along without over stressing too much.

Being desert and in winter, day time temps will be nice but night will be cool.

I hadn't really thought about the comfort aspect before but the points by John and Julian are valid - need to check out some wreckers for a small sized seat to fit for the trip.

I was driving the Haflinger around today with the windscreen down - not a good idea if at any speed so on the trip windscreen up - and roof on - if warm doors off.

Guess it is time to start taking inventory of parts that I have, will need and need to get.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Is this too far for a Haflinger in 2 weeks

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

If your normal seat is ok, then get a seat squab designed to go on a wheelchair, the memory foam ones are really good. Another thing to get would be one of those mesh back supports, that will keep your back from being in contact with the vinyl seat back so you have an air gap to stop you getting too sweaty.
I will post a picture of my setup tomorrow - it's dark and wet and cold out there right now.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes thanks John - that would be helpful - I know what you mean about the cold - we just had a cold change go through and it is a chilly 24 degrees C outside at 10pm in the evening. :roll:

Again - I guess a Haflinger thing - what were that thinking putting seats in where the seat base and the back are at 90 degrees - even old landies have a sloping seat back.

Options - as John has suggested a cushion and mesh seat back. Others - cheap aftermarket seat - actually surprisingly cheap, boat seats are the right size but do tend to be in bright colours - from left field I spotted some forklift seats that would suit a Haflinger, bobcat seats look pretty good as do mobility scooter seats. So I will take some measurements and see what comes up,

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well apologies for the delay in posting the photos. In my defence, it was raining and dark when I had the chance yesterday. This morning was nice and dry and bright, so no excuse!
seat 1.jpg
Seat 2.jpg
Seat back1.jpg
The seat back is a must in hot weather! The memory foam seat cushion is a must for the comfort of one's backside!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for that John - was thinking whether hi density foam under the seat might also work.

What is that PVC pipe next to your seat for?

Does your drivers seat tilt forward like the passenger seat? Mine does not - basically fixed with a small range of forward and aft movement.
P2160043.JPG
Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch did not have the door chains when I bought it. Too much effort to try and find "original" type chain so I just used what I could get and found some PVC woven hose it would go down and made my own variation of them.

I swapped the original drivers seat for a passenger one which tilts to make it easier to get to the fluorescent jacket / warning triangle / breakdown kit behind the seat.

Only problem with foam under the seat is you have the straps in between which might end up being felt through the thin normal foam seat cushion.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks - a little off topic as you raised the issue of chains - one thing I have always wondered about - why do Haflingers that have seat belts also have chains - i assume the original idea of chains was to help stop people falling out as there were no seatbelts - now as later models had seatbelts like mine and yours I would not have though chains were needed.

Now if in competition I can sort of understand it but not for normal road going types.

Cheers

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)