Weight of a Haflinger

Julian B

Weight of a Haflinger

Post by Julian B »

Just in case it is ever of interest or use to anyone, I have just weighed the body of my Haflinger, using a brand new 300kg capacity hanging scale.

It is a 1962 "Pre-Series" Short Wheelbase Haflinger, fitted with a short canvas, lightweight hood hoops & three sideboard panels.

~122kg ... Body only (ie excluding everything that can be stripped off an early SWB Haflinger)

~192kg ... Body and all parts that are painted body colour.

Both of these figures exclude
  • Engine
    Chassis etc
    Electrics, Lights & Battery etc
    Doors
    Canvas
    Seat Cushions
    Steering Mechanism & Pedal Box
    All Control Rods & Cables
    Windscreen Glass
    Fuel
For completeness, these figures also exclude the weight of the metal stand that I have created to rest the body on during re-painting etc.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Weight of a Haflinger

Post by heinkeljb »

I though you would get round to weighing things when that scale arrived. What about the engine, with and without the tinware? Or the wheels? Maybe even the individual parts like the steering column/box bit?
Somebody might like the idea of making a "lightweight" version and would be interested in which thing weighed the most and therefore be the best things to remove and replace with lighter ones. (Yes, I know it's not likely to happen, but....)

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Ha! Steyr-Puch Superleggera!
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Did you ever get round to weighing your engine? I wonder what the comparison to a VW engine is? Or a BMW motorbike engine as these seem to be alternatives people have used.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I had the opportunity to get Lurch weighed the other weekend. Took some scrap to a scrap dealer and after having all the scrap unloaded, they obviously weigh the vehicle all over again.
Anyway, as a long wheel base version Lurch weighed ~820KG so the difference between the plated weight and this weight was ~ 180KG. Now some of that I will agree was my stuff still on board, but I am not sure I had 180KG worth of things in the tool box next to the spare wheel. I have a "van locker box" - made of plastic... which has some things in it (tools, small electric tyre pump, Tarp, starting handle) So at some point I will have to take them all out and weight them!

John

Westernair

Post by Westernair »

I can pick up a haffy engine and place it in the bench. I can not do the same for a VW engine. So I would estimate about 200 lbs complete
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I weighed an engine a while ago - see http://www.thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=745
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I weighed my Haf last month - excluding me, but with 50 litres of fuel on board it weighed 760kg. I had no extra tools or anything else on board, and I guess than my aftermarket wheels and tyres would be about the same weight as original wheels

I thought it would have been lighter than that!
Attachments
20181201_081813a.jpg
20181201_081813a.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Ooops -too many photos!! Sorry.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you are referring to the fact that the last two pictures seem to be the same picture, you can remove one by going to the post, choosing edit and removing the reference to one of the pictures.

Or just leave things as they stand!

The weight of a Haf on the plate is for a “basic” Haf I.e. one with no optional extras! That means NO hood. No spare wheel. No rear seats. No tool boxes etc

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just had a look at the first picture of your Haf - it has a very non-standard fuel tank!

Can you post a picture of the other side?

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:Just had a look at the first picture of your Haf - it has a very non-standard fuel tank!

Can you post a picture of the other side?

John
Sure. I cannot work out why my spare wheel was bolted to the top of the engine cover rather than underneath where it belongs!!
Attachments
1.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes the passenger side tank is a modified home made affair - normally where the rear of that tank is, is the mount for the jerry can so you have a 30litre main tank with 20litres in an jerry - I guess by making the lot as one tank you have about 50litres in your tank.

Standard arrangement
045.jpg
I can think of three reasons why you do not have the the spare wheel under.
1. maybe they lost the bracket so put the wheel on the lid.
2. maybe they wanted more ground clearance on ramp over as the wheel does hang down a bit.
3. maybe they were also going to put in a fuel tank on the drivers side (mirror image of the passenger) so the spare has to be removed - they removed the spare, lost the mount but never got around to putting in the tank.

Do you know what car your seats came out of - the standard Haflinger seats are most uncomfortable over any distance.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

garrycol wrote:Yes the passenger side tank is a modified home made affair - normally where the rear of that tank is, is the mount for the jerry can so you have a 30litre main tank with 20litres in an jerry - I guess by making the lot as one tank you have about 50litres in your tank.

Standard arrangement
045.jpg
I can think of three reasons why you do not have the the spare wheel under.
1. maybe they lost the bracket so put the wheel on the lid.
2. maybe they wanted more ground clearance on ramp over as the wheel does hang down a bit.
3. maybe they were also going to put in a fuel tank on the drivers side (mirror image of the passenger) so the spare has to be removed - they removed the spare, lost the mount but never got around to putting in the tank.

Do you know what car your seats came out of - the standard Haflinger seats are most uncomfortable over any distance.

Garry
Does anyone have a underbody spare wheel carrier they are not using?

re seats - some guru here identified them as being out of a 914 Porsche!! Prob worth more than my whole Haf!! LOL

re fuel tank - you're about right. Mycalcs came up with 53 litres, but I haven't emptied it yet, nor filled it to the brim. I'm sure way back then, Barry Jones told me about a larger fuel tank as an option.

Happy Haffing

John