Spam Prevention

pathfinder700ap

Re: Spam Prevention

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Markus has changed the registration to a mode where one of the admins has to accept it before the user can post.
I don't know why, but I do have moderator rights (which I didn't know), so I have done some cleaning. Jim has done some cleaning as well. Still, there are dozens of spam members in the users list... we'll have to take care about that later on.

Kind regards,
C.
pathfinder700ap

Update... I have now also deleted all users who joined after 2013-11-23. I read through the nicknames and it seems all of them were just spam users... around 250 members!
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Thanks Constantin, Jim and Markus for wiping the site clean and putting in the new preventive measures. It's greatly appreciated!

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes thanks to all concerned.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Well done, all involved!
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Their back :( but thankfully a lot less. :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

It's still amazing to see how many new members would like to (obviously automatically) sign up on the forum... my inbox is always full with automatically created messages from the forum, saying that a new member needs a authentification.... phew!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I can imagine but I guess after a few rejects they will get the message. Great work in sorting it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Umm... it seems that somebody has again changed the settings for the registration, that's why new members could sign up again and spam the forum. Very strange, but I have changed it to admin authentification again.

Kind regards,
C.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That would suggest the hosting server has some sort of Malware on it giving others Admin rights. Keep a close eye on those settings and if they change again, then get the hosting site to clean up their server!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

I have just changed these and we now require approval to be given before each new user is allowed to post.

Regards,
Markus

cascade.king wrote:Unfortunately, removing the accounts isn't enough in this case, as spam-bots have archived the answer to the interrogation question.
Markus is going to have to change that question, to stop all the new accounts from being created.
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

hmmm that was me.... woops.

I setup google's recaptcha service to challenge new users and thought it would work thats why i disabled the admin authentication.

thanks for enabling it again.

Markus

pathfinder700ap wrote:Umm... it seems that somebody has again changed the settings for the registration, that's why new members could sign up again and spam the forum. Very strange, but I have changed it to admin authentification again.

Kind regards,
C.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I know manual authorisation of new members is a chore, but luckily enough the forum is still small in terms of numbers so other than the spam bots, there shouldn't be a lot of work for those given the task. As there have been lots of offers of help, maybe if some one finds they can no longer give enough time to the task then there will be some one else who could take it on for a while.

Well done to those involved in clearing our "little problem" up!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!