My Restoration Project

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
StuartR

My Restoration Project

Post by StuartR »

I bought my Haffy in November 2007 knowing that it needed a lot of work, and started to repair the under seat area.

That work was not in vain as I decided that a full rebuild of a decidedly perforated platform was required. So several trips to Haflinger Technik over a couple of years has produced all the parts necessary, Front foot well, all deck panels rear under frame repair sections, full set of stiffeners and under seat panel. Nearly a compete platform!

Photo's show how it was when I collected it,
As collected with lots of spares
As collected with lots of spares
Off the trailer
Off the trailer
Stripped off rear platform showing the amount of work required.
Rear deck panels stripped
Rear deck panels stripped
Starting rear right corner where the worst corrosion is
Worst area is where I started
Worst area is where I started

Started at last and onwards
Started
Started
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Julian B

Re: My Restoration Project

Post by Julian B »

Hi Stuart, Good to see the project has begun, and I look forward to following your progress!

Keep us posted!

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So you'll be finished ready for the Dutch Haflinger Treffen at the end of April then? :lol: Seriously, do you have a time scale for all this work you have to do or is it just going to happen when it happens?

Having a dead line usually means things like this get done, but I suppose that is really dependent on the person involved.

Good luck with all the spot welds. Did you count all the ones you drilled out?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Well hope fully within around 18 months. Planning to move around then and driving a finished vehicle onto a trailer has to be much easier that packing a pile of bits into a van.

I wish spot weld drills lasted longer! Its not how many I have drilled out so far, it's how many I have to go, and then put new ones in place with the new panels.

Finished welding the rear repair section in for the under frame, refitted tow bar and it's all in the right place, phew.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Making progress, right hand rear footwell was installed today.
100_4900.JPG
Left hand one also spot welded together and ready for installation.

Next bit cleared for action.
100_4902.JPG
This may take a wee bit longer than the footwell
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Stuart,

How are the rear footwells fitted? Looking at your picture above, it looks like they are dropped in to the frame work, then the platform layer is put on top. Are the footwells spot welded in to the frame first and the platform spot welded on top or are both spot welded at the same time?

The reason for asking is that my foot wells have had repair work done on the bottoms before I took ownership and I think it might be easier to take the footwells out to do a better repair and then put them back in. Looking at your pictures, it would seem that if I did that I would have to cut round the footwell box through the platform layer (hopefully without cutting the frame work underneath), then make a new lip on the repaired footwell box so it could be dropped into place without falling all the way through whilst it is either welded or bolted in position.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

John,

The foot wells are welded to the centre spine first, and then the rear deck, under seat panel then the filler between the two foot wells are added. I thought that the original panel; could have been reused however on cleaning up for welding I discovered that the tin worm had been more active than originally thought

I found the assembly sequence out by watching the Haflinger factory film (paused many times!) and looking at the Kretz website.

You could well just get the middle section, assuming both end panels are OK and that would be easier. Dale at Haflinger Technik supplied all my panels so far.

You are always welcome to drop in and have a look if you are up my way. Probably a bit far in Lurch but would love to see him/her.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Latest progress is that the two new side stiffeners have been drilled and the holes punched out for the tubes that take the seatbelt mounting hoop and the side panels, the fixing pads for the seatbelt hoop fabricated and welded on.

Also at last the old foot well is finally separated from the chassis frame -
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
So now a bit more tidying up, cut off the side stiffeners and the rear on, flip it bit more remedial work back over, and then start fitting the new panels.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton