Lost Haflinger-Toyota Hybrid

tteltrabd

Lost Haflinger-Toyota Hybrid

Post by tteltrabd »

I am a former owner of a Haflinger and am trying to track down the current owner, if it has survived.

The particular Haflinger had a Toyota 600 conversion and a fully re-built body. I sold it along with another original one whilst in the middle of a disastrous divorce and have regretted it ever since (the sale). I am interested in the Toyota model as it is of significant sentimental value to me. The one I am searching for had a rebuilt body out of heavy gauge steel except for the upper front section. The tray was flat plate (no ribbing). Fiberglass roof. Chocolate brown body, yellow roof. Sold to Maurice Raiola in Sydney. Collected from Ipswich in SE Queensland in 2000.

I would be very grateful for any and all information.

Regards, Dale
AustHaflinger

Re: Lost Haflinger-Toyota Hybrid

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Dale - so the tips provided in the other thread are not the same vehicle??
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well, this thread is still in the wrong place, shouldn't it be under "wanted". Not that I mind - The web site flags up any new post so you can see there is a post you haven't read.

Doesn't Oz have the equivalent of the UK's DVLA - A central place that keeps records of all vehicle that you could ask for details, if only that it still exists?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Doesn't Oz have the equivalent of the UK's DVLA - A central place that keeps records of all vehicle that you could ask for details, if only that it still exists?

John
No - Australia is a Federation of what was six independent colonies so all have all there own rules and regulations - the only areas of commonality is where the States have traded away authority in various areas to the Federal Government. At Federation the Federal Government only had responsibility for Defence, Customs and Foreign Affairs and the State Governments everything else. The Queen has 7 representatives - the Governor General at the Federal level and State Governors at State Level - none are subservient to another and as such Governors do not report the Governor General bit direct to the Queen.

In theory a State could decide to leave the Federation and at various times some have wanted to but in reality given the amount of authority they have traded away to the Feds it is unlikely. At Federation New Zealand was supposed to be the 7th State but they chose not to join the Federation and go it alone but you would never know it given their numbers in Australia.

Each State and Territory has its equivalent of the DVLA but most do not release information on vehicles not currently owned by yourself for privacy and other reasons - also unlike the UK, number plates do not stay with vehicles when they change jurisdictions or go in and out of registration, each time a new number plate is issued. As far as I can tell, my Haflinger has had at least 5 different number plates in its life and four in the last 8 years (and it will change again next month when I change to Historic Registration).

So it is unlikely you will get any information on the vehicle unless you can show current ownership.

So a little history for John :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Garry, As best as I could tell, the previous mentioned hybrids are not my old one. Considering the passage of time, the give away was the ribbed floor to the rear tray. Mine was flat sheet, probably a couple of mm thick! Also the engine cover was a heavy lift-off (not hinged) unit with an air filter mounted on top. Anyway, thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Dale
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Keep looking Dale,

Following on from John's point if you had previous rego details (if it was registered) from Qld you will not get any information out of their system due to privacy however if in NSW you can apply to get information (for a fee), and if you actually call the lady in charge of the area and sweet talk her a bit you will get more information from her than you will in the official response.

Good luck with your search.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

I have had a little luck in that an old image has shown up on this site (attached). I purchased the Chocolate/Cream one from the dealer when Tony traded it in. I had it for several years and finally on a 100 acre property in Northern NSW. I rebuilt the engine back to as new. I am still interested in any leads. Many thanks, Dale
Attachments
Tony rebuild 1_Haflinger.jpg
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Hi All, I just thought I would poke this thread in case someone has found something in the last couple of years. I am still looking for it... Thanks to all Dale
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Still looking... Dale
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

And I'm still here. No leads? Dale
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you will have to try and find some more details of the buyer - an old address or phone number. Then from there, talk to neighbours to see if you can find out what happened to it. maybe it has been scrapped or put into a local garage and locked away?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. Yes I am sure you are right. More sleuthing is required. Dale
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

I am still searching. I know this is probably the wrong forum (Wanted...), but given that the history is here, I trust no one is particularly concerned. If so, I will start a new post. Thanks for reading. Dale.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Does the haflinger have an original engine with Toyota parts in it?
tteltrabd wrote:I am still searching. I know this is probably the wrong forum (Wanted...), but given that the history is here, I trust no one is particularly concerned. If so, I will start a new post. Thanks for reading. Dale.
Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

No. Toyota produced a Toyota Tiara in the early 1960s with a 700cc flat twin air cooled engine. Lovely piece of engineering; hydraulic tappets, automatic gearbox. My Haflinger had a full engine replacement mated up to the original gearbox with an adapter plate.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

It sounds like a nice engine.
Are you trying to find the guy you sold you're haflinger to to buy it back?

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Dale - sorry you have had no luck. If the Haflinger went to Sydney in 2000 my guess is that it is still there somewhere. Most likely not scrapped but sitting in an old chook shed in someones back yard - I doubt it would have been reregistered and the engine would have caused troubles with rego authorities in NSW and it would have had to be engineered.

It certainly has gone to ground but as I indicated my feeling that it is still around - somewhere.

Have you contacted Rick Krassoi through the Club Website [email protected] or maybe he is still on here as Rick K so try a PM. He knows the Sydney and Aust Haflinger scene and is really into Puch products so might know someone. Likewise Markus on here - the previous site owner who is now in Europe knows the Sydney Haflinger scene really well and might know something so send him a PM.

I was hoping the Haflinger in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9xVtrmBDN8 might have been yours - it does have some sort of other engine but it does have a normal tray and normal engine cover so is unlikely.

In the off chance that it has been reregistered have you applied to the NSW RMS with chassis and engine number to see if it has been registered.

Did you ever track down Maurice Raiola?

Keep looking - you never know

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Hi Garry,
Thanks for the detailed response. Haflingers are like Ducatis (my other passion); all enthusiasts have a number of "GunnaDo" projects in the back shed, myself included. Yes I would very much like to re-buy this particular Haflinger. It would not be of interest to Haflinger collectors except for some parts as lot of it was custom built, and obviously the engine was not original. My interest is two-fold: firstly sentimental as I painstakingly rebuilt the engine and had many adventures in it, and secondly it was a perfect tool for the property we have in Northern NSW. I doubt very much that it could be registered today, although it was registered in Queensland when I first bought it. I will try the links you suggest. As with Ducatis, not only do owners have a collection of parts and projects, but they know where every other one is buried. I have not been able to track Maurice Raiola, but I will ask my wife to check Facebook (it has to be good for something, right?).
Many thanks,
Dale
tteltrabd

Post by tteltrabd »

Does anyone have a current phone number for Tony Skarabot in Cairns? He has lived at the same address since ever, but there is no listing for him now. He was the restorer of the one I am still chasing. I have now returned to the property and seriously need a replacement Haflinger. Not looking for a garage queen, or an original collector's piece, just a good solid workhorse. I will move this as a new thread into Wanted. Many thanks, Dale