Military voltage regulator meltdown

Goatwerks

Military voltage regulator meltdown

Post by Goatwerks »

This past year I have seen a few Swiss mil units fry the regulator and even melt the wire harness.
This usually happens when a battery shorts out internally(civy units are fuse protected).
Stay calm, there is a way to transplant a generic Bosch type regulator as the Mil units are made of UN-obtainium.

Regulator is supposed to be 14v 20A (a Harley Bosch type regulator will even work in a pinch), If I cannot find a 20A unit a VW 30A unit will work, I used one for 2 years no problems till I found a replacement for mine. A good battery is also key to a good working charging system.
How many know that the Swiss (mil type) Haflingers do not have a 25a fused charge ciruit but instead go through noise resistor filters.

Std Bosch type regulator has 3 connections at top and 2 at bottom.
Top terminals are (power in)/field/ground from dynastarter.
Bottom terms are(power out) B+ to Batt and 61 chg bulb circuit
To do this, you will first need to remove the red wires at the cigar shaped resistors next to the regulator, Large red one goes from B+ on regulator to batt side of solenoid, smaller red is term 61(power from chg light) Bulb must be working for chg circuit to work.
Now remove the dead parts and fix any melted wires. Mount new regulator to grounded surface, run new wires (D+ & DF) from dynastarter to regulator and re connect the large red ( B+ )on regulator to batt side of solenoid and smaller red (term 61 power from chg light) Bulb must be working for chg circuit to work.
Use a 25A fuse or circuit breaker on the large red chg wire(B+)

I will post up some pictures when current install is completed :ugeek:
Last edited by Goatwerks on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goatwerks

Re: Military voltage regulator meltdown

Post by Goatwerks »

So here are a few pics, will add more to photobucket later.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That made a nice mess!

How much more of the wiring fried? One of the good reasons to have a Battery Cut Off switch fitted right at the battery box AND to use it every time you walk away from the Haf!

There appears to be at least two different Dynastarts fitted to the range as the book quotes a lower output one than I have fitted to Lurch.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

This happens with a shorted battery /when the regulator sticks/ or dyna-starter is full fielded unregulated and without fused circuit.
Unfortunately, the armature winding was so overheated it melted off all the insulation and solder was thrown :cry:
The Dyna-starter, all wires from dyna-starter to regulator and all wires from regulator to starter solenoid had to be replaced as well as the regulator and battery. Lastly, the rt rear tail lamp wiring was also repaired and re insulated.
I will add the damage pictures to photobucket.

:idea: It would be wise to add a (25a) self resetting breaker onto the large red chg wire at the top large resistor connection, this will better safeguard the non fused units.
Last edited by Goatwerks on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Here is a link to the rest of the images: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Goatwer ... t=4&page=1
Here are the finished install pictures
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Thanks for posting that stuff up, Jim.

It helps, quite a bit.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch