Wheel manufacturers?

jhon

Wheel manufacturers?

Post by jhon »

Hi Guys - do any of you know of a source of 12" rims with the Haflinger stud PCD (4x98mm), preferably in the UK?

To be specific, I'm trying to source a wider rim, minimum 5.5" but up to 8" would be OK too.

I use quad tyres when off-roading and though they work well on the standard rims (3.5" wide), I would like the wider rim to provide a bit of extra track width and aid stability .

I know that it is unlikely to find a complete wheel with suitable centre and stud spacing - however if any of you know a supplier of the 12" outer rim alone that would be a big help; I could look at the option of welding the Haflinger centre in. (I did try and source quad wheels to use the outer rim but the ones I found were expensive and 10mm too large on the diameter to be suitable).

An easy option would be to get some spacers made up but I'd rather not go down that route (I like to be able to quickly remove the brake drums to wash out dirt, etc).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John
Julian B

Re: Wheel manufacturers?

Post by Julian B »

John - I may have a set of what you want; I purchased them a couple of years ago (rims & tyres), but never fitted them, nor used them and to be honest I doubt I will ever need them. I will check sizes tomorrow morning.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
jhon

Post by jhon »

Julian B wrote:John - I may have a set of what you want; I purchased them a couple of years ago (rims & tyres), but never fitted them, nor used them and to be honest I doubt I will ever need them. I will check sizes tomorrow morning.

Hi Julian - that would be great - thanks for taking the time to look!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Remember fiat rims have the same bolt pattern. You can go with 13 or 14 inch tires depending on the rim you get.
Also you could have your stock rims widend. Most rim shops can either do them themselves or send them out to have it done.
eniac

Post by eniac »

I want to get rid of those.
The smal one is an example.

Located in the Center of germany
Attachments
P1040083.JPG
P1040082.JPG
Stefan

------------------------------------------------
reality is an illusion, caused by scarcity of alcohol
------------------------------------------------
Pinzgauer 710M
Haflinger 700AP
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have 14" Fiat alloys on my Haffie - I also have a set of 13" Alfa Romeo rims that also fit - Lancia Beta rims also fit.

So many wheels from Fiat, Alfa and Lancia will go on no issues.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The Fiat / Alfa / Lancia steel wheel for vehicle made at the same time as the Haflingers were in production will fit with no trouble at all except possibly the center hole will need a little bit of attention with a file or something similar to ease the fit.

The problem is that I am sure the "New" Fiat 500 - as mentioned, released in Europe / USA / elsewhere around 2010 / 2011 use 15 or 16 inch wheels - If fitted to a Haflinger, they might rub on the bodywork they also will have a much bigger rolling circumfrence resulting in slower acceleration, but higher top speed (if you can get it there). They might also load the wheel bearing more if they are significantly wider resulting in more mechanical wear on those items.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Thanks for the replies - I already have a set of Fiat 13" wheels fitted with 155 section tyres which are great for general use and light off-roading; the reason I need the wider rim in 12" is to make use of the Quad/ATV tyres which are much wider - I use these in my club 4WD trials competitions.

This is what they look like on the standard 12x3.5" width ..

They work well but are a trifle 'pinched'.

Unfortunately you can't get a decent off-road tread pattern in 13", as that would greatly increase options.

Eniac - what width is the rim in your photo?
jhon

Post by jhon »

Westernair wrote:Also you could have your stock rims widend. Most rim shops can either do them themselves or send them out to have it done.
That would be an option! Unfortunately I don't know of anyone local or in the UK that offers such a service.

Anyone :?:
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

You can get ATV tyres in 14" and Maxxis make two Mud tyres in 14", the smaller of which would fit a Haffie. I am thinking about putting a set on my 14" rims once my current mud and snows wear out. A good compromise for good onroad use and play in the mud.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Quick search on google produced this:-

http://www.alonzecustom.co.uk/steel-wheel-banding.php

No idea how good or bad they are, just that they advertise on the web! If you do get a set of original 12 inch rims banded, make sure you know what off set you want or you'll end up with an unusable set of wheels.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

heinkeljb wrote:Quick search on google produced this:-

http://www.alonzecustom.co.uk/steel-wheel-banding.php

No idea how good or bad they are, just that they advertise on the web! If you do get a set of original 12 inch rims banded, make sure you know what off set you want or you'll end up with an unusable set of wheels.

John
Excellent John! Thankyou for that..just shows it pays to know where to look - when I google banded steel wheels a few companies come up. It's certainly an option I'll consider if wider rims aren't available.

cheers!
ocklinger

Post by ocklinger »

Just purchased 4 new 12 x 7 steel wheels to suit the Haflinger 4 x 98mm PCD with correct centre bore Will get new 6ply ATV tyres fitted later this week hopefully.
If this years summer is anything to go by I will possibly need a snorkel fitted as well.
Attachments
P1040702.JPG
Last edited by ocklinger on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Another place to look if you want rims that fit a Haflinger:-

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels/4x98

John

ocklinger

Post by ocklinger »

Hi John
They don't seem to do a 12" rim but the 13" ones look ok.
My originals are bit fair but I do have a set of Panda rims.

Cheers
Mike
jhon

Post by jhon »

ocklinger wrote:Just purchased 4 new 12 x 7 steel wheels to suit the Haflinger 4 x 98mm PCD with correct centre bore Will get new 6ply ATV tyres fitted later this week hopefully.
If this years summer is anything to go by I will possibly need a snorkel fitted as well.
Hi Mike - can you tell me where you purchased these 12" rims from?
ocklinger

Post by ocklinger »

Hi John,
Big Tyres Ltd www.bigtyres.co.uk
It was Sean at Big Tyres that sorted it all out for me.
I got the tyres fitted on the rims today.

cheers
Mike
jhon

Post by jhon »

As an update to this thread I can report that I've had my standard wheels 'banded' out 2 1/2" to a total rim width of 6".

It was a company in Scarborough that did the work - Alonze Custom Fabrication - this seems to be fairly routine for them.

They did a good job! No complaints about their service at all.

I've noticed a big difference off-road - not so much in terms of grip, more about much better stability on side slopes; a better ride on the road too, with less vibration. Added bonus is that it just looks so much better - a much improved stance (call me shallow, but yes I admit it, I like the vehicle to look 'right' :mrgreen: .

Downsides? Although they don't stick out much beyond the bodywork I did notice that I got liberally sprayed in mud-fling off the tyres when the speed went up - a small price to pay!
here's a few photos..

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Looks good,

Now all we need is some video of it taking part in a trial to show what it can do! How many rims did you get banded?

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I am surprised you still do banding in the UK as it is labour intensive and can be dangerous if not done right.

Here in Aust I believe it is illegal but what we do is simply take out the wheel centre and weld on a new wider outer rim - they are relatively cheap and the centre is welded back in as the original wheel was constructed.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)