New Victorian Member

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Rich1

New Victorian Member

Post by Rich1 »

Hi There All,
Am new here, but not to the "cult" of Hafy! :lol:

My father, who was an Austrian expat, purchased a 700AP new from AFB in Melbourne in December 1974, and it has been in the family ever since.
My first introduction to this "car" was on Christmas day 1974, and have been enamored since at this little marvel.
We went on a number of outings as a family up into the mountains where we lived (and still do), in Mount Beauty (located in North Eastern Victoria, Australia), three kids in the back bouncing around and sharing the two seats, and no seat belts!
Fantastic fun, as we stood up and hung onto the hood sticks when the canvas cab was rolled back.
Kind of dangerous really thinking back, and a tad illegal these days one would imagine!

My father worked at Falls Creek ski resort, just over 30kms from Mount Beauty, until 1980, and the Hafy was his daily driver up and down the mountain.
Perfect transport for the snowy mountain roads, although with no heating system and the canvas cab, a somewhat chilly ride from memory!
He also made regular trips to Melbourne, well over 300kms away (a long drive in a Hafy).

Some aftermarket modifications from 1976 on include the addition of a second fuel tank on the rear right (moving the tool box to behind the front wheel), alterations to the exhaust system, external side protection rails and a roll cage, and the change to 13” wheels and tyres (unfortunately am not certain what happened to the original 12” rims).
Also, the addition of an electric fuel tap in the late '80's to replace the difficult to use manual one, which was located in the engine bay, so required a stop to change from front to rear tanks.

The original canvas cab was damaged in an accident in ’81, and was replaced with an inferior item in ’85 (due to financial constraints at the time).
All the mechanical repair work was done by Tony Hrelja in Melbourne.
A very knowledgeable and helpful man indeed!
In fact, it was Tony who did all the service and repair work to this vehicle after the original purchase.

It has been registered since ’74 with a lapse of approx. 4 years between ’82-’86.
Currently has full Victorian registration (as a utility), runs, but requires some work, as has not been driven regularly since ’88, as was living away in Melbourne, and for many years in Brisbane, so only got to drive it on holidays.

Still have the original operating instructions/owners manual, repair workshop manual, spare parts catalogue (which has been helpful for the growing "wish list"), and assorted promotional/sales brochures.

Have been reading the forum over the past few weeks, and am impressed with the dedication to the Hafy, and the camaraderie.
As well as the assistance and support given to each other.
Just awesome!

Cheers,
Richard.
Ps: A few pics of the "car" I have known for almost 40 years now!
Attachments
Current pic.
Current pic.
Current pic.
Current pic.
'77 or '78 with roll bar in place and me standing in front.
'77 or '78 with roll bar in place and me standing in front.
A '76 pic. Side rail protection bars added. Original canvas cab.
A '76 pic. Side rail protection bars added. Original canvas cab.
A '74 family trip. Before any mods.<br />That's my head poking out through the roof!
A '74 family trip. Before any mods.
That's my head poking out through the roof!
AustHaflinger

Re: New Victorian Member

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum - with increasing Aussie members on here it might be time for a coup and make it "The Aussie Haflinger.Com - With Others from Elsewhere in the World". :lol:

It is great to see such a long term connection with the same vehicle which still looks great.

If you have not already found it there is a link to the Aussie Haflinger site at the bottom of the forum home page - http://www.haflingerclub.org.au/

I look forward to drawing on your experiences in the future.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Hi Richard, great photo's, lovely to see the history but also the adventures and the haffy's still going. Great stuff. Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the current world of the Haflinger. How about updating your profile with a few items, as you have no doubt discovered this is an international forum and tell someone where they can get help/ spare can be a bit difficult when you discover they are on the other side of the world!

Depending on where you intend driving, you may or may not miss the original 12" rims and the original type of tyre. 13" rims do give a wider choice of tyre but nothing as aggressive as the originals in a road legal type as far as I know.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Rich1 wrote:My father, who was an Austrian expat, purchased a 700AP new from AFB in Melbourne in December 1974, and it has been in the family ever since.
Hi Richard, Welcome to the forum! I had a similar introduction to the Haflinger, with my father buying a 1972 LWB (6 seat) Haflinger in September 1976 when I was about 16. I learnt to drive on it around the farm. He died in the early 1980s, but we still have it and love it to bits. :D

My father was the second owner, and I see that he paid GBP 1,015 for it from a local Mercedes Benz dealership. Looking at a 1972 price list, and knowing the spec that the Haf would originally have been sold with, I reckon that the first owner (a farmer from near Oxford) would have paid ~GBP 1,347 in 1972, so either my father over paid for it or it held its value pretty well! 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Rich1

Post by Rich1 »

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the awesome positive feedback!

The engine and chassis are original, think the front foot-well was replaced, but otherwise, all else is the same.
Must say, and I don't wish to disappoint you there Garry, but am not too experienced with the mechanical side of things really, as have just done minor repairs in the past.
Spent a few hours degreasing the underside of many years of accumulated grime, and what a fun job that was.
Went for a spin and the speedo decided to go haywire, (still works, but entirely inaccurate) so may need to remove it and hand it to an expert!
Oh, and the brakes need some tlc too.
As wel as................!
Good thing is, I have a incredibly helpful friend just up the road who is a magician on Mini's and Mokes, has a lot of experience, know how, and great contacts.
Have found the site you suggested, and registed there too, so thanks for that.

John,
Have been searching in vain for a set of 13" off road tyres, and have had zero luck here in Oz.
Going by some of the posts here, it hasn't been easy for other folks either.
The last set purchased were Bridgestone M+S 175/70 in '87 (see pic), which are by now somewhat un-roadworthy, as you can well imagine!
Bridgestone even used to make the All Terrain T/A's in a 13" back then too, as had a set of those at one point.
But alas, not any longer.
May just have to grab a set of road tyres for the time being. At least they still come in 13's!
Just out of curiosity, tried a 14" that I have on an '88 Honda Prelude, and they bolt straight on, but am reluctant to go down that path, as even the 14" off road tyre that Maxxis do (MT-753 BRAVO) seems way too big to give any decent suspension travel.
As for spare parts, am looking at the o/s sites as not a lot here in Oz, as the Aussie guys would attest!

Julian,
Great history there, and awesome it has stayed as part of the family!
Used to have the original hand written receipt as well, but has been misplaced. Will have to have a look for it!
Can't remember the purchase price (maybe somewhere between $3-$4K AUD), but think they hold their price pretty well, even back then!
One listed in Tasmania, Aust recently for around $5KAUD (and not fully assembled).
Have been kicking myself a lot of late, as I remembered that around '92 when I was living in Brisbane, Qld, I purchased, for the exorbitant amount of $100AUD, an entire Hafy (not running) from someone near Bli Bli, Qld, (between Nambour and Maroochydore), but lacking the ability to transport it back to Vic, left it there, and somehow in my stupidity, forgot all about it!
Wonder if it's still there! Lol
So if anybody knows of it's whereabouts, I've got dibs on it!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Guys,
And happy Hafy-ing!
Richard.
Attachments
Bridgestone M+S 175/70 13
Bridgestone M+S 175/70 13
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rich1 wrote:John,
Have been searching in vain for a set of 13" off road tyres, and have had zero luck here in Oz.

Just out of curiosity, tried a 14" that I have on an '88 Honda Prelude, and they bolt straight on, but am reluctant to go down that path, as even the 14" off road tyre that Maxxis do (MT-753 BRAVO) seems way too big to give any decent suspension travel.
As for spare parts, am looking at the o/s sites as not a lot here in Oz, as the Aussie guys would attest!
Richard - see here for 13" offroad tyres

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175-70-13-NE ... 2c81dd65bb

Some people baulk at retreads but they should be fine on a slow Haffie. Someone on this forum from Qld (can't remember who) bought some for their Haffy recently.

I have 14" Fiat rims with high profile Hankook Mud and Snow tyres (185R14C) on my Haffie and they work fine. They would be about the same size as the Maxxis MT-753 (185R14C) Muddies you mentioned (they also do a 195R14C) - I am thinking of getting them as my current M&S tyres are awful offroad.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You are unlikely to throw a retread off a retreaded tyre using a Haflinger unless it was A) a useless retread, B) you sit spinning tyres trying to get out of a rock hole!

I doubt a Haflinger could get a tyre hot enough for it to start peeling unless there was already some defect in the tyre. The pictures Gary linked to seem to be as about as aggressive a tyre I have ever seen in a 13inch, unless you go for a mini tractor / dumper truck type tyre. Those would undoubtedly be illegal on the road. The same would probably be true of the ATV / Quad bike tyres you can get - but - I think they only come in a 10 or 12 inch tyre.

So you will need to buy the set of 4 rims that are on Ebay at present, and then a set of Myolas if you still have any money left! Don't know if they would be road legal in Australia. They don't have "not for road use" stamped on them so the might scrape past an inspection.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

I have for many years run a bridgestone DR 70 13 textile radial . buffed , 1/4 inch under tread then lugged with tractor tread .
exceptionaly good , legality ????????? no body ever bothered to look .
tractors drive on road with tractor tread .
and they aren't bad to drive on road . but off road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have not found better off road tyres . and I have tried a lot on Haffies .
I also have factory made Firestone floatation tyres , tractor tread and block pattern .
size , 24.00 x 12 x 12 . 2 ply construction .
with these you can drive on stuff that you sink half way or more up your shin .

cheers,
kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rich1

Post by Rich1 »

Thanks for the link for the tyres Garry,
They don't look too bad really.
May not be top notch quality, but as long as they do the job, all's well.
And they're rated for supersonic speeds! For the Hafy anyways! :lol:
Don't think the local constabulary would be too conscientious, as long as the tread is deep enough (I hope)! :?
Your idea with the 14"s sounds good too. May try that in the future.
Will stick with the 13"s for the mo, as is a cheaper option.

Kerry,
Sounds like you've experimented with tyres a fair bit there!
Thanks for the advice too!

Thanks too John,
As you suggest, going the 12"s might be a tad more costly.

Thanks again everyone.
Cheers,
Richard.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rich1 wrote:Thanks for the link for the tyres Garry,
They don't look too bad really.
May not be top notch quality, but as long as they do the job, all's well.
And they're rated for supersonic speeds! For the Hafy anyways! :lol:
Don't think the local constabulary would be too conscientious, as long as the tread is deep enough (I hope)! :?
Richard - see Doug Lennox's posts on the tyres

http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7361#p7361
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I have sent you a PM, Richard.

Cheers

John Wood
Bundaberg