Electronic Ignition

AustHaflinger

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by AustHaflinger »

StuartR wrote:http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk

May be worth dropping them a line if looking for a system.
Thanks Stuart - sent them an email - we will see what they have to offer.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

They are suddenly going to feel wanted! I sent them an email as well after reading there plain front web page. :)

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:They are suddenly going to feel wanted! I sent them an email as well after reading there plain front web page. :)

John
I got a response:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Surprisingly you are the second person on the same day to enquire for such a conversion, (I guess this is you John) the good news is yes we do.

We would need the original distributor sending to the workshop, we include a recon along with supply & fitment of electronic internals & coil to suit, the cost will be in the region of £200.00.

When you are ready please forward the unit along with your details to our workshop address below."

It would seem a definitely professional approach to the issue and may or may not be value but the price is a bit much for me. Makes the Petronix cost effective if I could get one.

What do other people think
Last edited by AustHaflinger on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

My (as yet unfitted) Pertronix cost me approx GBP 87 (delivered within the USA) last summer, so GBP 200 is a significant premium. In what way is the h-h-ignitionsolutions unit better / more repairable in the field? My instinct is that the chances of me being able to fix an ignition failure in a location where a tow is not possible are so vanishingly small that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I agree Julian, I got the same email reply. I then told him it was because of the show conversation and he said it was him that had been spoken to, so he remembered the conversation.

Quote;

Ok, thanks for putting me in the picture, I was aware of the visit to our stand as I was the one he spoke to.

Anyhow, regarding keeping the distributor as original, again I would need to see the unit, we did one of these in the past which worked extremely well from the customers comments back to us, sadly this was maybe 3-4 years ago & the details will be buried somewhere deep in our archives, there are always options on the electronic conversions to try keep the original unit or replace with a later more modern distributor dependant on the customer, basically the distributor reconditioned & then fitted with a magnetic electronic system with eye & trigger wheel instead of contact breakers, that is really all the product information available, as I say once we see the distributor then more detail can be given as to how we proceed.

Un-quote.

So in other words, if it goes wrong out in the middle of no-where, you won't have even the possibility of "bodging" points into working however badly!

I wonder if the £200 cost includes any work they have to do on re-conditioning the distributor? If it does, then £100 odd on reconditioning and £100 odd on the electronics put it back in the ball park with the Petronix system.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

My money would be on it being a Petronix pickup etc and to ensure their product will pass muster the dissy is also reconditioned as it still needs the weights to work and must have minimal wear.

Julian - as you obviously don't want your Petronix why not send it too me ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

:D :D :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok Julian - well you don't like that idea :lol: - so I have taken my business elsewhere.

I sent another email to Exhibition Imports and I got a response within about 2 minutes :) .

They are moving and things are up in the air a bit.

So order placed :)

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

jhon wrote:Hi Garry - I've stayed with points but I did fit this electronic rev-limiter off of e-bay - although for a 4-cylinder it works well for a twin too cutting in softly at 48-50mph in top gear.

Cheers,

John

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Sof ... 990wt_1222
I went to buy one of these late last year but they were out of stock - I again contacted them a while later and the seller said they no longer stock them.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get an electronic rev limiter that is compatible with a haffie with a petronix system fitted ?

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/drl/default.aspx - says for 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines, but maybe they can alter one for 2?

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/product ... v_limiter/ - says it can work with Harley's so will work on the Hafi - not sure about working with your electronic ignition but seeing as it uses the normal style ignition coil I don't see why not.
DOH!!!! didn't see the statement that says FROM 6000 to 12000 RPM !!!!
As with any of these things being used on a application that's a bit out of the ordinary (like a Haf)! An email or two would be a good idea...

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - i will chase them up an see.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)