DIY Haflinger Hard Top

walderse

DIY Haflinger Hard Top

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
While looking over some of the othe Europena Haflinger sites, I stumbled across this ad.

http://suchen.mobile.de/lkw-inserat/ste ... 45199.html

The seller appears to have a truck with a well executed hard top with matching doors. The rear tail gate and lift hatch are also very nice touches.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
HaffyHunter

Re: DIY Haflinger Hard Top

Post by HaffyHunter »

It looks like he made it using corrugated tin siding from an old tool shed. Did you notice the modifications to the wheel arch in the front tub and fuel tank (homemade tank)? This must have been done to allow use of larger diameter tires. A very challenging task for sure. The battery box and rear footwell were also heavily altered. I assume access to the battery is now internal. I wonder how he dealt with the platform's crossbrace that normally is between the footwell and battery box?
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Are the front side repeater lights supposed to be recessed?

Tyre tread suggests standard tyres - I think the modifications to the foot wells is to make them bigger as there is a full width rear seat.

Could always ask him to post more pictures.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
This is a Series 1 Hafi from Germany or Austria (4-speed gearbox shown on the dash plaque). This version had recessed side repeaters. The owner has made a lot of mods to the dashboard like extra warning indicators, repositioned speedometer and vinyl (faux leather) covering. I don't think the rear footwells would have been changed for the bench seat as the two centre main frame rails could not be cut away otherwise the platform would sag like a piece of paper.
Cheers,
Steve