Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping

heinkeljb

Re: Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping

Post by heinkeljb »

Goatwerks wrote:A few quick tips, ~~~
Stop sheets for retainers may be re used 1 time in most cases.

Must be having a Dim moment here, can you explain which part you mean by the above please? Gaskets, seals, shims I understand but the above has me baffled.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Can someone rewrite the workshop manual so it is actually user friendly :( .

Yes the information is in there somewhere but what a task it is to find anything - working on rear hubs but some info is in front hub section - still looking for the torque of the little nut on the rear driveshafts that hold the small drive gear on.

The manual needs to be completely rewritten using a friendly and logical layout that is easy to use - at present I find it almost a waste of space.

I don't have much hair and it is rapidly getting less.

Maybe the major Haflinger businesses need to get together and commission a professional to rewrite the manual. I would certainly be willing to pay for a nice up to date, user friendly version.

Grumble over - I feel a little better ;)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

Torque for the nut that holds the cog on the drive shaft is :- 11MKP

Now I doubt you have a torque wrench with MKP markings so I found a conversion table when i was working on Lurch, so in more normal units:-

108 Nm or 79 lbsf

If you read some of the threads I wrote when I first got Lurch and was having to do various tasks, I also had great frustration with the "repair manual" - for a vehicle that was supposedly designed for military use, presumably on the front line as well, you would have thought it would be designed so any "squadie" could fix things at hte side of the road if required rather than having to get it back to a fully equipped workshop with factory trained technicians (why would they be in the army unless the army sent their grease monkeys tot he factory for training)?

Hayne's manuals for all their faults are more user friendly.

My rant over (again)!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Gary,

If you read some of the threads I wrote when I first got Lurch and was having to do various tasks, I also had great frustration with the "repair manual" - for a vehicle that was supposedly designed for military use, presumably on the front line as well, you would have thought it would be designed so any "squadie" could fix things at hte side of the road if required rather than having to get it back to a fully equipped workshop with factory trained technicians (why would they be in the army unless the army sent their grease monkeys tot he factory for training)?

Hayne's manuals for all their faults are more user friendly.

My rant over (again)!

John
Thanks for the torque information.

Having been ex military myself (Navy) and currently owning a mil vehicle I would have to agree. While I admire the technology in the Haffie and Pinz I think that in warlike situations they would have not been successful due to their complexity. The Austin Champ is an example - a vehicle probably as complex as a Haffie and just could not be adequately maintained in the field.

I can compare my Haffy with my Landrover 57 series 1 and I think that if the landrover had front and rear diff locks capability would be similar and the landie a lot simpler to maintain. But I do love the Haffie turning circle.

It is easy to be critical when you are having a hard day.

Anyway I did some work today but I think I will start a separate thread on replacing hub gears and its associated wheel bearing adjustments as it may be helpful to someone in the future and easier to search for. I will copy some of the relevant posts from here and put up a link shortly.

http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7346#p7346

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

It has been very quiet on here lately - I guess all the little Haffies are still sleeping. :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I haven't been using mine, but I did manage to get two of them through their annual MOT test first attempt. 8-) . The only work I needed to do was to replace x2 check straps which were either broken or soon would be, and to free up the brakes a bit - several of the wheel cylinders had jammed.

Currently working on my 1956 Citroen Traction Avant as whilst it no longer needs an MOT I do like to have it tested just for comfort.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

I am still in Australia and depart tomorrow which is ANZAC day. Have just been told by a guy in a pub that he didn't believe there were any Poms at Gallipolli because he had never been told that. I didn't have the nerve to tell him that 10,000 French died there as well.

Back in France on Monday where the Haf is going to get a right going over with a Spanner.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch is resting in preparation for the Dutch Treffen - Actually taking him to work today so that's a 30 mile round trip.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The weather has been really bad here for the past week so my haffie has been indoor all week - I might get it out out tomorrow for a run.

Doug - yes you are correct many think it was just the ANZACs with a few poor British Generals that were on the Gallipoli peninsular and do not know about the multinational force that was there. But then many countries interpret history in their own way.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi Garry,

It is is a great shame, because in the 25 years I lived in Sydney I found that Gallipoli had become a very divisive and politicised subject.
Check out Gallipoli from above by Hugh Dolan (RAAF).
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429922324.308169.jpg
Mine is a bit discombobulated at the moment.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

"discombobulated"

Definition of discombobulate in English:
verb
[with object] humorous , chiefly North American
Disconcert or confuse (someone): (as adjective discombobulated) he is looking a little pained and discombobulated
More example sentences
Derivatives

discombobulation

Origin

Mid 19th century: probably based on discompose or discomfit.
Words that rhyme with discombobulate
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Is "discombobulated" not a common Australian usage?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i hear the word used a little bit .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

cascade.king wrote:Is "discombobulated" not a common Australian usage?
Nah - we would just say its F expletive d - :o
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There are nearly 200 members on this forum and about 6 or 7 who post. I presume that means the owners of all the other Haflinger's must be sleeping along with their charges!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

And with a couple of exceptions, those who are knowledgeable on Haflingers and have lots of knowledge never post.

Yes it would be nice to have more posters but I guess people join for different reasons and for most it is not to actually participate in issues and discussion raised.

But - thanks to those who do post - including those couple of experts as I have received lots information and help.

My Haffie is not sleeping - is running OK at the moment - was out on the weekend both onroad and offroad and determined that the mud and snow tyres are no good offroad as I had a lot of trouble getting up a hill in 1st gear, 4wd and both diff locks on. Also, I was in a huge thunderstorm and flooding rain and found that my interior floods through the front vents, horn fitting and light fittings but at least it runs out the holes in the floor.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

is that the tin worm holes or the "official" drain holes?

Lurch leaks from around the windscreen rubber along the bottom edge in the centre.
From the joint between the fibreglass roof and the top of the windscreen (when the wind pressure during driving is pushing the rain up and under the lip)
From the horn hole, the seal obviously is old and probably hard.
From the windscreen joint to the front cowl.
From the rear perspex window that is just pop riveted to the inside of the inside of the fibre glass roof and back that is fitted.
From the tops of the doors whilst your driving.

Having said that I think there are more drafts than places the water comes in!

John

Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I try to post when I can, Lazaris aka The Green Machine stays busy taking me on an occasional trail ride or to the coffee house in the mornings.
Getting to be spring here, time to get back to the soft top construction(or "tilt up" as some say ).
You can use adhesive foam weather strip tape on the top and lower wind screen frame to body.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Jim,

There already is some sort of weather strip in both places on the windscreen, trouble is, I assume, that it is old and hard and has been moved about since it has gone hard and therefore no longer provides the sealing effect it is supposed to.

It is on the list of thing to be done.

John