The 'Off-Road' picture thread

jhon

The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by jhon »

Thought I'd start a thread which we could dedicate to posting pictures of Haflingers being used for what they were best designed for - being used off-road.
I've only got a few, mostly because I'm too busy driving it! I'm going to make a point of taking more.
Looking forward to seeing others...
My daughter, just after she learned to drive - she found the Haflinger 'challenging' (but enjoyed herself immensely.)
My son (in the Range Rover) laughing at me getting stuck.

Edit to add photos
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heinkeljb

Re: The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by heinkeljb »

Looks like you were having fun. Very common problem not have photos of being in the mud - because you're too busy driving the beast!
I fitted a dash cam and took some video whilst attempting a trials in Lurch,, but as the stupid thing saves the bit it it is recording when even there is a "bump" in case it is a crash, I have lots of short clips which don't really show anything! Then they record over each other.

So maybe I should go for a different sort of dash camera.
Lurch resting after drinking too much!.jpg
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Another couple of photos; this is a bit of a poser shot, shot in the rough paddock in front of the house..

..and this one from our local club off-road trial this weekend.

Edit to add photos
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I notice the "Haf" went round the "outside" of the mud puddle - did you attempt to go through it like the Land Rovers?

I am getting Lurch ready for a "service interval" trip to Holland for the Dutch Treffen and back under Haflinger power. I still need to get another tarpaulin that will at least be big enough to turn into a biv-a-wac for Lurch should we need to have some where dry to work. Sorting spares, as in what can be taken that can be fitted at the side of the road in order to effect a repair.

I doubt there will be any "real" off road stuff over the weekend, probably some equivalent of Green lane routes. Still, it should be a good long weekend.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - you're right, I did avoid that particular 'puddle' as it was rather deep and I've experienced drowning the engine there before; there were plenty others on the day though - it was the muckiest that I've had it in a while.

Good luck with your prepping for the Dutch trip - I enjoyed your last report.
jhon

Post by jhon »

A run in the woods last week. I was following Forwarder tree-felling tracks, but soon gave-up; being by myself and having the 'road-tyres' on I didn't want to get stuck.

An off road weekend right at the North of Scotland

Some old vehicles in the Estate owner's garden - some really interesting ones - enough projects to keep a man going many lifetimes (some were beyond repair - nature is reclaiming them slowly.)

Edit to add photos
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Wow, you had a nice time wandering round looking at things (and taking pictures). As you say some more likely to be rescued than others - bet every one asks in the "DUCK" floats!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I know a few people who would love to get their hands on some of those mil vehicles. Nice pics.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

LRACT Training Day

Post by AustHaflinger »

I attended a 4wd training day conducted by the Landrover Club of the Australian Capital Territory on the weekend. It was conducted about 60km north of Canberra on a members 5000 acre hobby farm (grows firewood). The area is hilly, scrubby country with a number of firetrails and tracks.

I attended in the Haflinger and played with the big boys comprising some Lancruisers, Jeeps, Landrovers and other makes. The main aim was to show the different drive systems in various vehicles and how well they cope in terrain with deep holes (we call them wombat holes) that test wheel articulation and traction. After that we all went on a 20km drive scrub bashing in convoy.

Here are some pics

The property owner's temporary camp

The first wombat hole - the tubby driver didn't help with stability :lol:

Coming back the other way

Going this way the fat boy helps with stability ;)

Day finished and about to leave for home

The Haffie went really well but the Wombat Holes really showed up the advancement in modern 4wds and their electronics over older systems. The limited travel suspension of the Haffie caused some problems and with only one front wheel on the ground steering becomes almost non existant but overall even without diff locks engaged, drive is maintained. The star was a modern Landrover Discovery 3 (LR3) that just drove through with no drama but the Haffie is much more fun :)

When driving from the meeting point up the highway to the farm I was in convoy with the modern vehicles and this is where, and as expected, the slower speed of the Haffy really shows up. On the flat I could keep up with the 70-80kph convey speed but hit a hill and speed drops down where the modern vehicles maintain speed. It is not as noticeable when you drive by yourself but is very noticeable when with modern vehicles. Offroad though, everything changes as I was easily able to match the big boys and had far better manoeuvrability.

I now have a dash cam in the Haffie and some other video but I do not have the software to make up a clip from the different formats so I may put up some video later when I work out how to do it.

It was a fun day.

Cheers

Garry

Oh PS - bouncing around highlighted where my occasional brake fluid leak in the cabin was coming from - even though the reservoir is only half full fluid is coming out the cap when the little truck is being bounced around. I guess it is not seating at the top properly. I have the same issue in my 101 so maybe new reservoirs all round are required.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Perfect place for you to organise a Haflinger Treffen at.... All you have to do is get permission, fix a date and advertise it!

You know you can do that much. Just tell every one they have to be self sufficient for the weekend. Get your 101 there to act as a recovery vehicle for when Hafi power is not suitable.

Done.

Sounds like you had fun trying to match modern toys - change the tyres and you would be even more of match off road.

Nice pictures.

John

p.s. Windows has a program called "movie maker" which allows you to do basic editing on video.
Last edited by heinkeljb on Mon May 18, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I love the concept of 5,000 acres being a hobby farm :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
jhon

Re: LRACT Training Day

Post by jhon »

garrycol wrote: It was a fun day.
It looks it! An interesting post and photos Garry - thanks.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian B wrote:I love the concept of 5,000 acres being a hobby farm :D
The whole property is covered with the scrubby trees and light undergrowth that you can see in the background of the pics. There is nothing domestic farming wise - no animals or crops (the land is too crappy). The owner was collecting firewood to be sold in the city but as pollution controls kick in with respect to wood burning stoves kick in demand for the product has dropped off so the owner mainly uses the place as a secluded retreat.

Summer gets interesting as the place is crawling with Brown Snakes - a plain name for the second most venomous snake but they are a fact of live in this part of the world, even in the city.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Well, for a change I had the Haflinger working for its living yesterday - tree-thinning and firewood collection duties. There wasn't much real off-road driving done, just some scrubland and farm tracks. It was interesting to note how much more compliant the suspension was with a load in the back.

That's it in 'camo' mode.

..and one with my 'willing helpers'.

Edit to add photos
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

All "pickup" type trucks have improved handling when they have a load on the back. If you really want to see how much difference it makes, get hold of some containers you can put water in. You can then pour out water until you find an amount where you get your "bad handling" effect again. The you can work out what the best weight in the back is!
If you then need all the Tare load, you can always just empty the containers of water at the side of the road!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Nice pics - people are amazed when I tell them what the load capacity of the Haffie is.

Jhon do you have a body lift on your haffie - looks like it in those pics.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hey Garry - no, no body lift - all standard (as far as I know).

Possibly the reason it looks higher is because the boxes and standard petrol tank below the bed were removed by the previous owner.

Interesting comment John - however I don't feel the need to experiment, I'm quite happy with the way the Haf handles unladen. (The extra weight 'softened' the suspension; it felt more compliant over the rough tracks - however it did have the downside of blunting the 'performance' :lol: )
jhon

Post by jhon »

Another month, another club trial; these photos are of our newest member Ross, the grandson of Frank who owns the Haf in the picture. It was Ross's first trial, really only the second time he's driven the vehicle. he did very well and is full of enthusiasm for the vehicle and wanting to do more! It's good to see some young blood taking an interest and hopefully continuing to use and cherish the vehicles.

And one with the 'competition', resting between sections.

Edit to add photos
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

It is good to see new players getting out and having fun in their vehicles - nice wheels as well.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I did't take any photo's of us off road, but hopefully will get some from the bystanders!

John