Canvas Top

AustHaflinger

Canvas Top

Post by AustHaflinger »

My Haffie just has the truck cab canvas top over the cabin area. I would like to have the option of having the entire body completely enclosed with this style of top.

Can someone advise whether there are any parts suppliers that sell these.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Re: Canvas Top

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Sadly, the answer is simple: There are none. In my opinion, the best thing would be to have a good (=original) template and then try to find all necessary parts to have a new canvas top made by your local car upholsterer.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Go to the Yahoo group site and do a search. There is a person I think in australia that is reproducing very nice ones. It is only the canvas and not the frame though. I have thought about picking one up and just making my own frame.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for the information - I cannot find the information on the Yahoo site (nothing comes up with search) but I will keep on looking.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Humm well if you go to the real4x4 forum and lookup techmogogy and send him a pm, I am pretty sure he has the info
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

go to the Haflinger section of the real 4x4 and ask the question there. you will get your answer.
I know the maker is actually located in Australia as well
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... m.php?f=24
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks - will do.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Gary

I dont know anyone here in Australia making hoods or hood sticks & bows, just individuals getting hold of templates and making copies as suggested by Constantin. I did that recently with 'bug-eye' pathfinder I have (see pic below) where I was lucky enough to have the tattered original to go off. My brief to the trimmer was a faithful reproduction of the original, stitch for stitch. I made the leather washers myself to original specs, and sourced the hardware (Haflinger Technik and Autoquariat had supplies of the D-staples, 2 sizes required). However instead of using brass rivets for the windows, I used solid brass Chicago srews which allow for easy repairs down the track. The trimmer did say the bulk of his time was spent on the 2 doors. It wasnt cheap either.

For the full hood and 4 doors, I cant imagine having it done profesionally for less than $2000AUD. If you can find a 'mate' who is good on an industrial sewing machine, you may get lucky. I have been trying to find someone here in Australia who still possesses an original full hood that can be used as a template, but Ive had no luck till now- they have all been after-market jobs.( I do have an early slope-back hood that I picked up from Austria for use as a template- quite a lucky find). Ive got some canvas doors frames that can be used as templates as well. We can arrange to lend you examples of frames/sideboads etc when you get to that stage. Ill swap template materials for a full original hood if you are lucky enough to find one!

cheers

Rick
Attachments
New short-cab canvas hood and doors for Pathfinder Haflinger
New short-cab canvas hood and doors for Pathfinder Haflinger
P3080044.jpg (90.72 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Rick - I thought that given the total numbers of Haflingers that were made, someone in the world would be making repro tops. I do have a neighbour who does have an industrial sewing machine so I might design something and make it up myself.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hey Gary. There is a good business idea with export opportunities. Perhaps boost our sad manufacturing industry ( or outsource it to China). Rick
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi, If any one in Australia who has access to a LWB type canvas top with 4 Doors as a template, please let me know as I will need one at some stage of my rebuild .I also need measurements & sizes for the canvas bows as well. Rick is the offer still on to lend me the door frames when I require them.
regards Dave.
pathfinder700ap

I think the main problem why there are no reproductions sold is that there exist many different versions of canvas tops... short cab/full cab, SWB/LWB, sloped back versions, straight back versions, different colors and so on... Almost impossible to produce the right version in advance that can be sold.

Regards,
Constantin
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If there was a version available, I think there are people who would buy even if it was not "quite" what they wanted. If it was really wrong then they would probably contact who ever was producing them to ask if a "Special" could be made.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Again, there is someone reproducing them in Australia. The posts came up back in September of 2012 on the Yahoo list.
I know that techmogogy has the email of the person even though he was not the person that posted it.
The vendor makes all types of tops and door skins for verious types of Haflingers.
I dont think the title on the Yahoo post was clear about it but several posts were made about it and pictures were uploaded of his work.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have had a look on the Yahoo site and have found this:-

New '61 Austrian Top Photos - if you put this in a search you find the posts that go with the photos of the same name.

It appears he has a price list and photos of what he makes, but I don't think any one has asked him if his details can be broadcast via the forum so may be best to email the address which is attached to the photos and ask him for the guys details.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Dave

Yes, of course you are welcome to borrow the doors frames for use as templates. I would suggest you would have a few takers for frames if you wanted to get some extras done. Ive only seen these skinned in either an olive green or black canvas (but thats not to say there wernt other shades or colours). However Ive seen the frame colours differ from vehicle to vehicle. My pathfinder had the standard beige door frames, but my 1974 700APT (photos posted elsewhere on this site) had all 4 doors NATO green (original!), despite it being the typical beige civilian model. I think thats because Haflingers were sold here as basic platforms, and you then ordered everything else, including the doors, hood etc.

Let me know when your at that stage and I can get the doors to you.

regards

Rick
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Here are the photos of the first one. Note the arrows are places that had some issues. I belive his new ones have solved these issues.

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Westernair wrote:Humm well if you go to the real4x4 forum and lookup techmogogy and send him a pm, I am pretty sure he has the info
Sent him a message - no luck as he does not know of any one - was worth the try though.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Is it possible that the canvas is supposed to go between the guard plates and the horizontal frame part? This would be usual for most short cab versions (but e.g. not for the Swiss Army ones). One picture as an example:
rot03.jpg
rot03.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
Regards,
C.
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Yes pathfinder700ap,

This is still original ! ;)
Attachments
tele dietro.jpg
tele dietro.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 5215 times