Snow Chains

Julian B

Snow Chains

Post by Julian B »

I have just obtained a pair of snow chains for a Haflinger, but like a Rubik's cube they look deceptively simple. :shock:

Does anyone have a photo of how they should look when fitted, or even better some fitting instructions?

TIA

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Snow Chains

Post by heinkeljb »

Other than what I have seen on the dreaded UTube - NO, - but they can't be that difficult to put on uless there is an issue with the size.

Have you got a picture of the chains? Might be able to match them to a video you can follow....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Use the same instructions as for Pinzgauer.
The chain installation instructions were one of the loose leaf items with operator manual.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Having investigated further I see that the chains are made by PEWAG - an Austrian snow chain company. I have no idea whether they are "original" Haflinger chains or not, but looking on an old eBay advert for what MIGHT be the same things (FX60S) they are designed to fit a variety of tyres sizes and I reckon that these chains will be fine. I have worked out how to fit them - the long chain in the centre of the wheel in the second photo just needs clipping on anywhere to stop it flapping around.

All I now need to do is find a second pair for the other axle :D

Thanks all
Attachments
2015-09-19_16_42_03.jpg
2015-09-19_16_41_21.jpg
2015-09-19_11_22_30.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Now try doing it on the vehicle with snow and freezing cold so you have to wear gloves! :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Which is precisely why I have been practising in the sunshine :ugeek: :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I can just see you wrapped up in a thick winter coat and mittens ib the 20 Degree sunshine busy struggling to put the chains on the Haf! :lol:

Still atleast you will know "how" to put them on even if your fingers won't let you!

As I said, the trick will be knowing when to put them on, i.e. before you get stuck. They might not help if you have already slid into a ditch. Maybe they would allow you to climb out afterwards, but trying to put chains on in snow covered brambles at a 40 degree angle wouldn't be fun... :x

John
:D :D

Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Enjoy :!:
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Jim, That is brilliant - most helpful !!!

I had not thought to use what I described as "Clip A" as a tensioning lever rather than merely a clip, but will follow your instructions as they are much better.

Many thanks!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK