webbing buckles

ogdenenterprise

webbing buckles

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have ordered some 35mm webbing for the 3 straps that go from the windscreen to the rear canvas frame, on a canvas hood to stop it sagging .The parts book drawing and description is not very clear 27-11/0 , I have the 3 items that secure the webbing to the windscreen (8, 8A, 12) , I need some info on the 3 buckles (6) that tighten the straps at the rear ,has any one any photos or info as to what type. I want to keep them as original as possible.

Dave
pathfinder700ap

Re: webbing buckles

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Dave,

I think that on full canvas cabs, usually only two straps were fitted. You may have also noted, that on the rear canvas bow, there are only two ears for those straps (might be different on yours, since I think that you had it reproduced).

On the front end at the windscreen, the strap is sewed onto the rubber strap eye (no. 8a in 27 11/0, which you have already mentioned). The buckles at the rear end consist of no. 6 and no. 7, with no. 7 being riveted onto the strap as end cap. I think the buckle and the end cap might be hard to find... :|

I will take you some pictures within the next days, when I'm back at my dad's place.

Cheers,
Constantin
pathfinder700ap

Hello David,
here are the pictures. I was wrong on the end caps, it seems they are not riveted but only pressed onto the straps.
Cheers, Constantin

ogdenenterprise

Hi Constantin, thank you for the photos they are just what I wanted. Have you any more detailed photos of other straps and hook positions etc on different parts of the canvas .

Dave
pathfinder700ap

Hi Dave,

not yet, but I can do another shooting the next time I'm there! :-)

Cheers, C.
ogdenenterprise

Thanks Constantin, that would be appreciated.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Dave - did you get a new canvas for your Haffie - if so where from?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry, No I haven't got a canvas cover yet , I know black canvas was available from the factory, does anyone know of any other colours that were available?
I received the canvas webbing this morning which is the same colour as Constantins photos, as usual I am forward planning for when I am ready to have the canvas hood made.

Dave
pathfinder700ap

Hi,

the Haflinger in the photos above still has its original canvas hood, and the color on the inside shows quite well what it must have looked like when new. On the outside, it has faded a lot, being not olive any more but rather light grey.

I also know of Haflingers with two different shades of green canvas and, of course, the already mentioned black canvas.
Some special Haflingers, e.g. Austrian Army for UN purpose, had white hoods.

My dad has some original canvas parts, new and used, so I can take some pictures of these as well.

Cheers, C.
ogdenenterprise

On the subject of canvas hoods , can anybody advise what type of material is the best to use . I want to keep the hood as near to original looks as possible, but obviously something that is going to last .

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I received these parts on Thursday from Tony in Melbourne, he sent me all of his parts he had in stock for canvas hoods plus a few other bits, I'm not sure where all the leather straps fit?, also the 2 threaded angle parts which are second in from the bottom right of the photo

Dave
Attachments
canvas parts.jpg
ogdenenterprise

I have just compared the width of the webbing straps I received from Tony to the webbing I purchased , the parts book says 35mm ,so I this is what I ordered. The parts I received from Tony is only 32mm (as per previous photo) , has anybody access to any straps to confirm which is the correct width. I will have to cut the straps to use the buckles as they are for a SWB and mine is a LWB , I want to fit the correct width to keep things original.

Dave
pathfinder700ap

David,

again sorry for the delay in this topic, but at least the measurement of the strap width I think I can do this weekend.
Regarding the angle parts with the thread in your picture, I also don't know what they are good for. Haven't seen these parts before.

Cheers,
Constantin
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

The long leather straps are for securing the front windscreen supports at the center of the roll bar when it is lowered.(rods fold to center)
As far as strap width, it varies slightly over the years and by manufacturer.
The thin metal strips in the top left of picture are for the weather strip between windscreen frame and body.
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Having just been looking at photos of the Haflinger for sale on the Austrian ebay site, the black metal bit in your photo with the ball in the middle (center left in your photo) looks like its for the leather tab that shuts the side door window.
Attachments
image.jpg
pathfinder700ap

The straps in my pictures are also 32 mm wide.

Cheers,
C.
ogdenenterprise

Thanks Jim & Constantin , I will try and order some 32mm webbing.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

Following on from the 35mm cotton webbing which I ordered , at the same time I also purchased some 20mm cotton webbing as per the parts book, which I presumed would be for straps to secure the canvas above the windscreen and all the straps on the canvas where they secure to the vertical hoops. I have checked several photos and the straps look as though they are leather or something similar not cotton webbing. Can anyone advise what the straps should be and what lengths they are.

Happy & prosperous new year to everyone
Dave
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

All of the straps on my 1972 LWB (which we have had since 1973) has webbing straps everywhere. The only leather straps that I have seen are presumably restorations. When I had a new canvas made for my 1962 SWB I used leather for durability / ease, even though I knew it wan't right.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |