Has anyone used Maxsport R81 12" tires?...now XTR 12" tires

Czechsix

Has anyone used Maxsport R81 12" tires?...now XTR 12" tires

Post by Czechsix »

The medium compound ones?

About 2cm narrower, which I don't think will even be noticeable, but with their cross section looks like they'll do well on road and off road too. Not much flotation...but not a heavy vehicle to begin with. Price is reasonable, and they're available here in the States, which is a plus.
Last edited by Czechsix on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Techmogogy

Re: Has anyone used the Maxsport R81 12" tires?

Post by Techmogogy »

Wow nice find!
I and countless others have searched for aggressive 12" tires. Assuming these are road legal?
Next stop Google to look them up
Thx

Edit: assume they are the RB1
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yeah, I keep searching and searching...here's the thing that might be a no go: They work out to 520mm inflated diameter...so an inch less height than a Maloya. I'm not sure I want to give up the extra clearance...but the only other option that I've found (other than UTV tires) is to go 13" or larger, like everyone else has found. For these R81 tires, if you get the 13" size, they give you about an extra inch of diameter.

Minus an inch, more torque....plus an inch, better clearance. Plus having to screw with finding another set of 13" wheels.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

ETA: They're supposed to be road legal....but in the UK. I don't think they're DOT stamped, but the supplier is in Florida. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out, would be nice if they're DOT, but if they aren't it's not a deal killer for me. I've had more than a few road vehicles rolling on euro, non-DOT tires, never had an issue. Then again, never had an insurance claim either. CHP that looked a couple of times didn't care either, but if it was one of the tech branch CHP guys, they'd probably flag it.

Further ETA: Yes, the R81
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
tpond

Post by tpond »

What dealer have you found them at? Link?
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

tpond wrote:What dealer have you found them at? Link?
Like the watermark says, http://www.minisport.com. Which reminds me I have to call them now....thanks! I'll post what I find out.

ETA: LOL, boy I screwed that one up...looks like they're cross referencing images from the UK...or I stole the wrong one :lol: ...this is the USA supplier http://www.minisport-usa.com/

Sorry 'bout that!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

OK, been in contact with Mike, the owner of minisport-usa.

He doesn't have them in stock, orders them from the UK on an as needed basis...if ordered off his website, I received a quote total of just under a couple hundred bucks per tire.

That ain't gonna happen, no way.

I contacted him again, he said he could get a set out to me for $600, or so, delivered...that's 4 tires. Still too pricy. I'm going to remain in contact with him, maybe he'll get a few people in on a buy and we can all save. But as it stands, even though these are attractive...too pricy, and not DOT either.

So.....UTV tires it'll probably be.

What I've got, info wise so far: The stocker Maloya's are about 24" tall, 6" tread width, so for me that means a 25" diameter tire is absolute max. Ideally something about 7" wide, and a relatively square tread face.

So the choices are..
Duro Frontier (but these aren't DOT rated to begin with...but they're attractive trail tires)
DI2037 Frontier is an AT25x8R12 tire, six ply, 24.9 inch diameter. 8.2 inches wide, for a 6.5 inch rim width...but max load is only 340 pounds. A bit too low a limit for me, since I want a working truck too.

Other sizes of this tire require a 7 inch and up rim width, so I think once mounted the cross section will be too rounded....might have a tendency to tuck under a bit on corners, and I don't need that excitement.

GBC Kanati Mongrels are nice, DOT rated, but....26", and a bit of a rounded profile too (but most UTV tires are...the only one I could find that isn't really starts at 28"....way too tall. Those are the Tensor Regulators) Good weight limit on the GBC's though...600# load rating. But width is an issue...10" wide.

Black Diamond ATR DOT rated UTV tires in 25x8R-12 look pretty good, load rating is 600#....but rounded profiles.

AMS Radial Pro AT Tire looks very interesting, DOT rated, but the damned company website has absolutely zero specifications to give you any information. No rim size recs, overall height, load capacity, ply rating, blah blah. Has anyone run these and can give a review on them?

I'm leaning towards the STI Black Diamond XTR 25x8R12 tires...overall diameter is 25 inches, but tread depth is over an inch, so it'll decrease or can be shaved a bit if necessary, down to 24" I'm thinking, easily....but weight rating is 600# per tire at 18 PSI, which should be perfect. Unless the AMS tire really shines...dunno, have to visit the local bike dealer and see if they can call for more info.....

Yes, I'm overthinking this and should probably just say the hell with it and go pick up the cheapest 12" road tires out there LOL. But I do have quite a bit of mud on my property at times, and I really would like something able to negotiate it with a load.

ETA: ah, the heck with it. I just went to Amazon on the XTR's, one of the reviews said to watch out...these tires run undersize (PERFECT!). I've ordered a set, will post a review when they arrive.
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Keep us posted
I almost bought them as I saw reviews saying they were smaller - just remember that they want an 8" rim vs 6" so may be a bit taller on a Hafi
Good luck - they def are aggressive!
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, we'll have to see how they work out. They should be here early next month, I'll mount them up and see how it works out. I'll post some pics so everyone can point and laugh.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

got them today...probably mount them this weekend, depending on work load

angle makes this look lots larger...it's actually pretty close to the Maloya, and if the Maloya was fresh I think they'd be almost the same size.
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

They look good!
I see 5 - are you going to modify the spare tire holder so it can carry the spare?
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I'll have to see how the clearance goes, when the front wheel is lock to lock and at full compression.

It might fit, but I'm sure I'll have to drop the spare holder a bit...tire is wider.

If I can't make the spare work, then I'll go bed mount, and the spare tire holder will be converted to hold an additional fuel or water NATO style can.

It's going to be fun getting those old tires off, and I think I'm going to blast and paint the wheels before the new tires go on, too. Raining here now, and possibly this weekend....but I've got plenty of other projects going too, as usual.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Helps to have a tire machine handy...

Height comparison

front view for profile comparison...yep, they're totally rounded. Makes me wonder how much a Stockton wheel set would cost...could also get beadlocks. Basically what Soni used for his...

full side view...doesn't look like clearances will be much of an issue, this is fully settled down

top down view

Time will tell, but these look like they might be a good solution for me.
AustHaflinger

Re: Has anyone used Maxsport R81 12" tires?...now XTR 12" ti

Post by AustHaflinger »

So you intending to use these on soft/offroad areas as I dont think the knobs would last long if used on hard ground.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, primarily off road out here. Very little on road, but we do have quite a bit of hard pack too that they'll be used on. The reality of things is that most of the use will be on my property, transferring firewood from A to B, refuse, landscape maintenance, etc. Actually getting it loaded onto a trailer, dragged out to the desert will only be a few times a year. Simply don't have the time to do any more. Any desert trips are usually multi-day affairs, I'm a hundred or so miles by road from the nearest interesting areas to explore. Even when I had the motos up and running I didn't have the time to go our more than a few times a year. Had plenty of plans.....but time is the killer.

So even though these tires seem to be a medium compound, they'll probably last me long enough that I'm more concerned about the sidewalls cracking than wearing down the lugs. I guess I'll see once I run them for a few hundred miles.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You could always get some other rims. We know both 13 and 14 inch rims can be made to work, so it would just be a question of finding suitable rubber - although exactly the same issues with DOT marking, physical size, thread pattern / depth will have to be sorted which ever rim size you use.

At least we now know these tyres will fit.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Maxxis make two road legal mud terrain tyres that will fit a Haflinger running 14" rims - they will be next set of tyres for my Haffie.

Once more they are the same price or cheaper than quality ATV tyres.

But if the vehicle is to be used offroad then ATV tyres are a good choice.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Thanks for posting
They fix better than I thought they would and the lug is VERY aggressive!
Best part is that they are street legal - perhaps these are the XM47's of the Hafi world :)

What's the weight per tire like?
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

The rolling resistance must be pretty extreme.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Garry - It's a touch choice...most of the use I have for this truck is off road, but it would be nice to have a set of regular AT or M/S tires in the 12"...but then again I don't want to keep swapping wheels. Might come down to that though, after I see how these work.

Some of the nice things about these tires are that they're DOT rated, 600# cap too. So weight rating is decent and they should be fairly safe on the road, but the swing axle and tire contour might put a lie to that too :O

They fit on the wheels ok, but I'd also like to see the profile once they're mounted on a wheel a couple or three inches wider. I mounted these as standard radials, might have to tube them in the end once I find out how well they air down.

Tech - yep, seem to fit well. I was actually looking for something like a mini XM47, lol....couldn't find one that I thought would work. I'll throw one on the scale...according to Amazon they're 42#, but they don't feel that heavy to me. I'll have a weight tomorrow and post it.

Cascade - might not be that bad, actually. Definitely more than a skinny road tread, but with the radial construction....then again, I'm more into low gear, slow going.

Of course, now that I've started to bust the tires off the rims, lots of rust on the inside of the wheels to deal with, so I'm wire brushing, sand blasting, and priming/painting. I should have the rest mounted by the end of the week, then if I can figure out where the trans oil leak is coming from maybe I'll take it out for a few hours and see how well the tires do under different conditions. Seems that every time I crawl around the truck I see something else to add to the list!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Oh, and by the way Heinkel...yep, wheel choices are a whole 'nother pain to deal with.

As I mentioned, I might really be looking to get a set of Stockton wheels made for this eventually, depending on price. I'm pretty sure that's where Soni got his made, if not, at a similiar place. He was running the TerraTire looking lawn tires, the ones that really do look like XM47's...but again we get into the weight rating issues...