Converting a military ignition to civvy.....

Czechsix

Converting a military ignition to civvy.....

Post by Czechsix »

So what's involved?

Coil, cap, rotor, wires and plugs? Regular civilian hafi parts will work? Or?

I'm already running a Pertronix so that's less of an issue, I guess. Will probably go with Jim's Bosch regulator mod too, come to think of it.

Any "gotcha's" to look out for?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Goatwerks

Re: Converting a military ignition to civvy.....

Post by Goatwerks »

It is easiest to make a set of conversion wires from 1 of the old wires(screw to cap w/civi plug ends). You can buy single plug wires at Autozone or Napa and custom fit to cap.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Good idea.

I might convert to just a regular civvy coil though....still have to test the milspec one and see if it's fried/open/toasted
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

replacement coil should be more than 3 ohms for Pertronix. VW beetle coil works well(bosch blue), they average 3.7-4.0 ohms.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you intend to sell the beast at some point, it might be worth hanging on to all the Military spec ignition system untouched as an added selling point. You can replace the coil with the VW one as above, buy new HT leads and caps, spark plugs.
That only leaves you with what to do with the distributor - I think you have to replace the whole things as I don't think you can just put a Civilian distributor on top of the Military distributor base. You can obviously just alter the current HT leads to have civilian caps on the relevant ends but can you go back the other way if required? I don't know.

Maybe you could make up a short "converter" section of HT lead to from the VW coil to the centre contact which doesn't involve butchering the existing cable just so you can run the engine whilst you get the military coil tested.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!