New member to the forum from Australia.

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
mechanical horse

New member to the forum from Australia.

Post by mechanical horse »

Gidday, This is my first post as I am now the proud owner of a Haffy. I have owned it since late last year and have been doing necessary work on it since then. It is a 1968 SWB, RHD with a hard top cabin and so far it has shown not a lot of need for serious mechanical work, other than seized brakes and steering box. Have been into the engine and am currently doing the bolt on bits, carby, fuel pump, governor, generator/starter, air cleaners etc. The body work on the other hand is a different story as it looks like at one stage it may have been deck cargo on a submarine. The body is apart in a million bits and the platform is currently residing in a rotisserie that I have built for it and the body and panel work will be started when I have finished the rest of the mechanicals, diffs, gearbox, suspension etc.
I am also trying to track the history of this vehicle in Australia and I think it may have been used in the NT and QLD on uranium exploration and the mileage and the hours suggest that is had a slow sort of a life driving out bush. Then again thinking about it I suppose all Haffys have had a slow sort of a life given their top speed. The vehicle doesn't glow in the dark so I am not sure about the uranium.
I am living on the Sunshine Coast of sunny Queensland Australia, and have been keeping a close eye on the forum for some months now. I have actually been in contact with 2 members of this forum and if anyone would like to drop in at any time and have a coffee and kick the tyres then you are most welcome.
I suppose I should take the opportunity to ask a question while I am here. The starter/ generator is off the engine and the clamps are off but I have come to a standstill. How does the body of the fan slide off the body of the starter/generator. my fan body is located in position by, it looks like 2 pins, but do these pins knock out or drop out or are they screwed in from inside the starter/generator.
Regards Rick.
AustHaflinger

Re: New member to the forum from Australia.

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum - can you post up pics of your pride and joy. Sorry I cannot help with your mechanical question as I have not had to play around with the Dyna starter but I am sure someone can answer it for you.

For our foreign members can you put in your specific location (town on the Sunshine Coast) in your profile.

This is a nice friendly forum and I hope you find it as helpful as I have and look forward to reading your future contributions.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Rick,

If you could post a photo of your Dynastart and another explanation of your issue if I have understood your problem wrongly.

The Dynastart is held to the fan shroud by two metal strap clamps. Undo those then you have to "push" the shaft of the dyanstart through the fan blades and the fan shroud - I had to do this in a ferry port using a couple of Railway sleepers to support the fan shroud and then had to hammer on the Dynastart shaft to "push" it through the fan and then the shroud and dynastart body just came apart. So other than getting the shaft of the Dynastart through the fan the rest should be easy.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

John

p.s. you really should use a press to push the shaft through the fan rather than a hammer - that makes a mess!
Last edited by heinkeljb on Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the forum , its always nice to have a new member from Oz, even though we are hundreds of Km.s away from each other.

regards Dave
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see that you are enjoying your project. My project is stalled :oops: for various reasons at the moment. You will get a lot of helpful info from this site.

Doug
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Hi Rick, Again welcome to the forum, good to see another Aussie, I have completed on Haffy and have my second being worked on now. Lovely area you live in, I'm a ex Roma boy from outback QLD. Lots of good information here and ask around the guys in Oz for bits and pieces. I've had great conversations with Gary in Canberra and have been given good advice, good luck Danny
mechanical horse

Hey Gary, John, Dave and Doug, Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions. I have updated my profile and will post some photos of my vehicle and also the problem that I have in regards the starter/genny. I suppose I should call it a mag/dyno as I come from a past of old British bikes and that is what they are know as in that world. I will put the vehicle photos up on this page but should I put the photos and an explanation of the problem that I have with the mag/dyno up on the electrical area.
I maybe a bit slow in doing the above as I popped my knee out of Joint the other day and the Leader of the Opposition has banned me from the workshop for the time being.
Thanks again.
Regards Rick.
mechanical horse

Have just re read the posts in regards alternators. I need to refer to it as a dynastart from all accounts and also spell Haffie the correct way. I have a whole new language to learn here. My question about the two pins that I can't get out which is stopping me from sliding the body of the fan off the dynastart may have been answered about 12 months before I asked the question. How good is that? I will sneak out to the workshop tomorrow and check what I have discovered tonight.
Regards Rick.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Put a link up to the post where you found your answer regarding the Dynastart as it might help someone else who uses a different search term. Just copy and paste the address bar URL from the post you found into a post here.
It's a Dyanastart as it is a combined Dynamo and Starter motor in one unit.
Haflingers have lots of different names - Haf, Hafie, Huffin-Puffs (as my neighbour calls it), Haflinger or in the case of mine - Lurch

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Haflingers have lots of different names - Haf, Hafie, Huffin-Puffs (as my neighbour calls it), Haflinger or in the case of mine - Lurch

John
And after you have been working on them - a number of names that cannot be printed on a PG forum :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Mine, the family that owned it called them "Dingers" or "Lingers" because the kids couldn't pronounce "haflinger". Wish they didn't call it a Dinger though.. Maybe the kids driving it would have been more careful and not treated it like a bumper car.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I purposely didn't try to put down any of those names for that very reason! Still, I know of one called "Tonka Toy" which suggests they are quite prone to being bumped into things!

John

ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I call them flingers

Dave
mechanical horse

image.jpeg
mechanical horse

image.jpeg
mechanical horse

image.jpeg
mechanical horse

image.jpeg
mechanical horse

Morning all, We have worked out how to upload photos of my Haffie, and they are the previous 4 posts. The only blue we made was they are on separate posts and not on the same one, which I will correct with the next photos. They were taken on the day I got it home and 3 of them before I even got it off the trailer. I had a bit of bad luck on the way home as part way down the highway the LH door fell off but luckily I saw it in the rear view mirrors. Bit of a shame job as about 20 motorists yelled out as I was walking back up the highway to tell me my door was on the road. As if I never knew. When I stripped the body off it I found a very old horse shoe jammed in behind the cabin, which I thought was special as Haflingers are a breed of horse and a 1958 sixpence also in behind the cabin. A couple of days after getting it home I was having a look in and under the vehicle trying to decide just where to start and opened the battery box to find the battery missing but there was a snake there in its place. I don't know if it belonged to the previous owner of if it was from here.
Regards Rick.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Good luck with the snake, wasn't a Taipan was it. I hate those always angry. danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Was the snake alive or dead? Probably went in there chasing a mouse. I am in brown snake country (every snake you see here is a brown snake - second most venomous snake in the world) vs your Taipans up there at number 4 - both sort you out pretty quick.

Glad you didn't get tagged.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)