Newbie from N. Ireland

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
tinkerer

Newbie from N. Ireland

Post by tinkerer »

Hi all,
First of all, great forum.. I just wanted to check in and say hello to all.. I am relatively new to Haflingers although when I was very young, we had an early SWB and a spare but my father sold it on.. (I would like to find it again)..
Anyway, I found another one close by and made the deal.. It is a 1972 703AP and is fairly complete but needs lots and lots of work.. In saying that, I have trawled the forum and found a wealth of information and help.. Thanks all for that. I'll post a few photos anyway..
20160409_154527.jpg
Attachments
20160409_154516.jpg
20160409_154507.jpg
'73 703AP

"There is only one way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.."
Julian B

Re: Newbie from N. Ireland

Post by Julian B »

Hi Tinkerer - welcome to the forum. Your new Haflinger looks pretty good. Interesting that you seem to have a hard roof similar to John's (or rather Lurch's).
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi Julian B,
Thanks for the welcome and interesting indeed about the roof.. Any I seen tended to be either canvas or polycab, but not a mix of the two.. One thought though is that my Haffy originated from south west England, so I wonder was it a "special option" at that time around GB..

On that note, I am minus doors and would like to get a set if anyone is willing to part with a set..
'73 703AP

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John knows more about that roof style than me, but almost certain that it was an "official" option. Don't know if it was a UK thing - seems unlikely - but I have seen very few compared with the more standard polycab type.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Hi Tinkerer, great looking Haffy, appears to be in really good condition. Does it start and drive. You see some doors down here and certainly I have a set ,but generally most run without the doors. Are there spare seats in the back?. Good Luck. Danny
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi Danny,
Its a good thing that I hadn't zoomed in too much.. The Load Floor and Cab Floor has suffered quite a bit from tin worm and really needs fresh metal although it is still quite strong.. The rear seats and lids and boxes are rotted out also but I know that they are available...
It doesn't run as yet, as it has not been running for the best part of 20 odd years.. In saying that, the engine is in fair condition with reasonable compression so far and not that much end float.. I think the previous owner was trying to get it running but didn't quite understand valve clearances.. When I got it, I put the starting handle in and... No Compression...
I investigated further and run some oil down into the Inlets and it run straight out of the exhaust ports.. I lifted the Rocker Covers to discover that the clearances were so tight that the valves were being held open..
So, clearances adjusted again, there is good compression, but I will lift the heads an check out for damage.. Hopefully it will be ok..
The loom is in a bit of a state as well, so it will need sorting out before any power is applied... Plus rebuild carb, Inlet manifold, exhaust system, etc, etc..
I suppose on the plus side, all of the numbers (Engine & Gearbox) match the plate.. Don't know if this is a common thing, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that..
'73 703AP

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

The good news is that at least the wiring loom is pretty simple ;) - albeit a tight squeeze to get all of the wires down the tube in the front footwell. When I re-did mine recently I took the opportunity to thread a couple of extra wires down the tube in case I wanted to add any extras (oil temp / tacho etc) in the future.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Tinkerer,
Welcome to the forum, the LWB hafs are quite rare. also the trailer looks good as well.

Dave
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi Julian B,
Good thinking about the extra wires.. When I get around to mine, I'll def bear that in mind. Did you use the factory colour codes or something else? Also, are there suppliers in the uk for colour-coded automotive wire? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am at the stage where I am soaking all of the information up..
Cheers.
'73 703AP

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum.. I have been waiting for my activation to come through before I could post, but all sorted now..
The trailer is great and belongs to my nephew who is the boss of the company that makes them, so that is handy when I need anything transported...
Cheers.
'73 703AP

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I bought my wire (Standard PVC cable) from http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/category/10 and tried to replicate the factory colour coding as far as I possibly could.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi Julian B,
Thanks for the link.. I'll have to have a look and see as I want to get the Haffy at least running soon and I love to get things working as they should..
Cheers.
'73 703AP

jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi Tinkerer, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Are you planning a full, back to 'as new' restoration or tidy it up, make it sound and use it approach?

Either way, looking forward to following you on your journey.

Cheers,

John
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi John,
Thanks for your good wishes..
As for the resto, a full back-to-new condition sounds soo nice, but I would be happy to get it mechanically sound, MOT, tax and insurance and have a bit of fun.. I am lucky enough to have some ground, so I have places already in mind.. I bet you have some great spots over in Scotland..
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So you have been welcomed to the forum by several people, so time to for go introductions and ask pertinent questions!

Can we have some more photos of the cab? From your post it sounds like you have a "hybrid" roof which is part canvas and part GRP? Lurch's roof is all GRP although it follows the same shape as the short canvas cab and it appears your follows that shape as well.

Your list of things to do is going to get longer as you take things apart, but at least if you're not planning on a "nut & bolt" restoration, you might get it drivable and on the road before the end of the year!!

One of the reasons for having a Haf is to be able to drive it when the weather gets bad - through floods (although not too deep), until you have everything water proofed. Using in the snow should be fun, but I haven even managed that since I have been running Lurch - Snowed whilst I was rebuilding the front end - so get it done before winter!!!
Lurch in the snow.jpg
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

When you start doing the re-wiring, you could make use of waterproof multiway connectors at various places like in the main loom to the dash, that way you can just unplug the connector when you need to take the dash out rather than have to undo every connection or leave a loop of wire long enough behind the dash so you can lean it forward to work on things behind.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Tinkerer, Welcome to the forum, it's a great source of info on all matters Haffie. Good luck on the rebuild and don't be afraid to us it. When you get it on the road drop around for a cuppa.
Regards Rick.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

tinkerer wrote:I think the previous owner was trying to get it running but didn't quite understand valve clearances.. When I got it, I put the starting handle in and... No Compression...
I investigated further and run some oil down into the Inlets and it run straight out of the exhaust ports.. I lifted the Rocker Covers to discover that the clearances were so tight that the valves were being held open..
So, clearances adjusted again, there is good compression, but I will lift the heads an check out for damage.. Hopefully it will be ok..
I put up a post last night but it seems to have disappeared into the ether - or more likely in my dotage I forgot to hit the submit button :?

My Haffie also suffers from tight valve clearances and keeps on closing up - just adjust at service time is not difficult or time consuming. Just glue the rocker cover gasket to one surface so it doesn't move when putting the cover back on.

As your engine seems Ok, unless you have other issues I would not bother taking the heads off - if the engine is in the car then it will have to come out to remove the heads. So unless there are other issues leave the heads on.

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to following your efforts in getting your car up and running and on the road.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Took one look a that photo of Lurch in the snow, and thanked GOD I live in Australia, MATE give me the snakes any day. Would be a interesting drive for a cuppa Rick. great to see a long wheel base.Danny
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Danny, A haffie could do that drive without any worries at all. I have been looking at the photo of Lurch standing in all that white stuff and couldn't work out what it was. Never recognized it as snow. Living in Darwin for 30 years and now QLD, it's not something I have seen for many a year, which I am quite happy about.
Regards Rick.